Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Herniated disc in neck

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mudman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:50 pm    Post subject: Herniated disc in neck Reply with quote

Seems that working at a laptop for 28 days at a time has caught up with me.
Got a herniated disc in my neck back in October. Had physio on it, have changed to a standing desk, changed my pillow, I ice the neck a few times a day and do the physio's exercises. The pain is long gone and I've been told the numbness in my arm could last 12 months plus.
However the physios told me to stop running and I havent run now for nearly 10 weeks, but have kept up a regular walking schedule. Has anyone any experience on how long I should not run for ? I've got IM Lanza next May and want to start running for that but am concerned I might bugger it up again.
awildt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the early stages of this and it hit the Monday before Chester Marathon. Doc said I shouldn't run for 6 weeks or so. My sister who is a GP said just see how you feel.

I finished Chester marathon. Slowly!

I'd say go with how you feel. If it starts to hurt stop. If it doesn't keep going. I feel better for carrying on gently than stopping completely. A fit healthy person manages pain better than the sedentary.

Wish I had the luxury of a standing desk. We've only just had delivery of decent 21in monitors. Rolling Eyes
mudman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, several months of physio had little effect and with the numbness in my arm and hand still there, I was being told not to run or do any lifting.
Last the physio recommended I saw an orthopaedic consultant, after getting another MRI he recommended surgery and the next day he sliced and diced me, whipped out the damaged disc and popped in a shiny new ceramic one.
No exercise apart from walking for the next 6 weeks, then I can start getting fit again. This year is pretty much written off, so I will try to volunteer at Lanza and race it next year.
I'm just lucky I've got private health cover through work and could get it fixed pronto.
awildt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. That's impressive. I still struggle on through beyond 10km.

I can't say I have the numbness in my arm but I do have a constant reminder it's not right.

Which medical cover do you have? I've not broached that route even though I have BUPA cover. Basically because I think they're a bunch of lying idiots and I'm trying to get my company to change.
mudman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have Cigna International, they'd paid for the initial MRI and the physio. After 3 months, the physio wasn't helping so I saw the orthopaedic consultant.
Turns out, part of the disc had broken and was pushing against the nerve, so no amount of time or physio would've sorted it.
awildt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That makes sense. Glad you've got it sorted! Any idea how it happened in the first place? That sounds like a fairly serious thing to happen.

I had Cigna when I was an expat and they were pretty good. Probably why BUPA looks doubly bad. I can't be bothered to fight my way through BUPA trying to prove that things aren't pre-existing when I've not claimed a thing in the 2+ years I've had their "cover".
mudman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is 100% through spending my working life of 8 hrs a day , 7 days/week, 28 days at a time , slumped over a laptop. I have worked overseas for large multinationals for 20yrs and the standards that they preach from Houston do not apply when you are in Buttf*ckistan!
Talking to the physios who've been treating me, it is an increasing problem, with ipads and iphones etc.... Peoples' postures are wrong and we are just creating problems for the future.
I've become a bit of an Evangelist for this, but having gone from Ironman finisher to virtual one armed cripple within 3 months, I don't want others to go through what I have.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: