Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Celtman 2017, who is in?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tahr

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:35 pm    Post subject: Celtman 2017, who is in? Reply with quote

Anybody else in this year?

Any advice from those who have completed it before?

ATB

Tahr

Fitness forged in the furnace of competition.
Doonhamer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did it in 2012.

Get used to swimming in cold water.

The bike is not that hilly, but long, often with a headwind towards the end.

You'll only spend half of your time on the run actually running.

Great organisers, camaraderie & scenery.

There are old threads which may be worth reading through.
Doonhamer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put links to all sorts of things - including reports - in the 2nd post of the 2012 thread.

http://www.tritalk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=82484&highlight=celtman
MajorWagonWheel

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in. So is another of my buddies.
Tahr

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not long now, how's the training gone?

MajorWagonWheel

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tahr wrote:
Not long now, how's the training gone?

Pretty good. The usual collection of long rides (the Tour of Wessex last weekend for instance), lake swims since the end of April to get used to gloves and booties and all-too short runs.

I did the first part of the run and most the bike course over Easter weekend which was very useful. Also raced the Slateman and used it as practice in transitions for the Celtman.

My local lake, Little Marlow is at 17deg now. Really not much use for a 11 or 12deg loch swim!

Really looking forward to it.
Tahr

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I live in Scotland I keep thinking my local Loch is too warm for CM cold acclimation at the moment.

I recced the bike route about 4 weeks ago, and most of the run. Did the Loch Lomond half IM as a practice race 3 weeks ago, the Fred Whitton and the Lake Land Loop Sportives before that. The last 2 weeks I have cut the volume right back, but doing hard short stuff, won the club Durathlon on Sunday, to manys surprise including my own LOL.

Just hope I haven't peaked two weeks too soon!!!! LOL

IronVampiro

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did I hear somewhere that the Iron Cowboy was doing the Celtman?
IronVampiro

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IronVampiro wrote:
Did I hear somewhere that the Iron Cowboy was doing the Celtman?

Looks like he did it: https://www.facebook.com/Ironcowboy/photos/a.223316294399960.56544.221698421228414/1504687242929519/?type=3&theater
MajorWagonWheel

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got home from Celtman yesterday. It crushed me! Here's a brief race synopsis.

The swim was very choppy and I managed 4.2k rather than the intended 3.4k. Also took on quite a few mouthfuls of saltwater which left my stomach unsettled. 71 minute swim when I though 55 was possible. Very cold despite the extra neoprene vest and booties. I went without gloves to have a better feel for the water. Lots of amazing jellyfish.

7 minutes in T1 (after taking an age to actually stand up and drag myself on to the slipway) getting sponged down with warm water by my amazing crew and on my way.

Bike started well but I was caught up in the single-file procession with cars to the first turn. We had been forewarned that this is a heavy traffic area on such a tiny road - all the cars support getting up the course to provide aid later on. I just sat in as instructed, drank first bottle of energy and ate a banana.

I never felt settled however and struggled to eat solids. Felt a bit sick from the saltwater. The wind was very strong and rains became harder as the day wore on. Had to stop for a 'number 2' and knew I was getting into trouble when I was continually reaching my support crew without having eaten the intended supplies from the last meeting place.

I created the largest climb in decent shape power-wise and descended to the A835 stretch to Garve. This was the beginning of the end for my performance! It was a struggle to keep on the road with the strong gusts and rain. The road surface was truly energy-sapping. No time on the tri-bars as I needed the additional control from the horns. By the time I turned at Garve I was totally spent. I puked my guts up and tried to re-fuel but it was game over regarding this now. Nutrition re-think required and must be smarter regarding puking earlier if I ever take on salt-water again.

And therefore the next 50km of consistent rain headwind ruined me. I grovelled at low speeds, again spending more time on the horns for stability which only put me higher into the wind. I lost tons of places. Ride finished with 7:47. I was hopeful of a 6:50-7:00.

Again, an amazing T2 performance from my crew and my support runner and I set off for T2A. It took a few kms to find any run legs but then we did tap away reasonably fine. It was still poring down and very windy. We had 1:45 to reach T2A for the Blue T which I knew was out of the question. It took us 2:05 without really pushing as I knew that Blue was out of reach. White T it was - not what I wanted but hey-ho. Had we needed 1:55 then perhaps we could have made it. We arrived to find that my best buddy had made it with 2 minutes to spare after passing me on the bike. I was really pleased for him as he also suffered a ton to get there in time.

T2A was done in a few minutes, and we set off with the extra clothing required for the low route. Everyone actually did the low route as the weather was so terrible for the higher route/Blue T. Pressure off we ran/walked through the very wet/boggy/windy terrain and finished with a decent pace for the last 8km or so. 5:47 run time. The low route is shorter than 42km I think.

I had no interest in a particular time or position after the poor swim and terrible bike, just to complete and smile my way though it. Finished in 15hrs dead. Plenty of runners came past and we clapped them on.

There's loads more to tell about the totally amazing race programme, location, after-party, the cottage we stayed in, great local food etc, and it's all this which will take me back to have another crack at the Blue T another year. For 2017 however, it didn't go my way but I'm happy with completing it and learning more for another day.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: