Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Buoyancy Shorts on IM non-Wetsuit races IM Swiss
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Miketri




Joined: 29 Jun 2012
Posts: 630
Location: Somewhere on Sheep House Lane

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:57 am    Post subject: Buoyancy Shorts on IM non-Wetsuit races IM Swiss Reply with quote

So doing IM Switzerland next year, seems its typically warm and a non-wetsuit (optional) race. Can you wear buoyancy shorts in a non-wetsuit or optional wetsuit race (I realised there are two questions here)
_________________
"Triathlon just means I'm not very good at three different sports"

IMUK 14, IM Lanza 16, Outlaw Half 13/14, Wimbleball 14, Barca 70.3 15, IM Staffs 70.3 15, Manchester Marathon x3, ToughGuy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
explorerJC




Joined: 20 Oct 2005
Posts: 14196
Location: Farthingstone

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost certainly not...but, of course, you can always check the rules
_________________
www.appliedtri.co.uk Tri and Du coaching

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Jorgan




Joined: 12 Nov 2007
Posts: 15994
Location: alles was ich bin, alles was ich war

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CHEAT Exclamation
_________________
25 Years since it all began....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jibberjim




Joined: 15 Aug 2008
Posts: 8038
Location: Kingston

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
CHEAT Exclamation


An option, simply not bothering with the swim would make more sense though.
_________________
Jibbering Sports Stuff
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
funkster




Joined: 29 Jun 2006
Posts: 2081

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Section4.03 SWIMWEAR POLICY WHEN THE USE OF WETSUITS IS PROHIBITED
(a) Swimwear must be 100% textile material, which is defined as materials consisting of
natural and/orsynthetic, individual and non‐consolidated yarns used to constitute a fabric
by weaving, knitting and/or braiding (this generally refers to suits made only from nylon
or lycra that do not have any rubberized material such as polyurethane or neoprene);
(DSQ)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jorgan




Joined: 12 Nov 2007
Posts: 15994
Location: alles was ich bin, alles was ich war

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe they are Amy Stretton's secret.
_________________
25 Years since it all began....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tony Stark




Joined: 26 Apr 2007
Posts: 2402
Location: Milton Keynes

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can wear fins and webbed gloves too, as long as no-one notices or complains. Also consider using a power pack and seat-tube motor for the more difficult hilly sections of the bike. The run is four laps with multiple cross-over points and out-and-back section so if it is all getting a bit tough later in the day then there is ample opportunity to miss out a few of the less interesting parts and still finish in a good time.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stenard




Joined: 04 Sep 2013
Posts: 1213

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clearly in wetsuit prohibited, its a no. He did also ask about in wetsuit optional races though. What's the situation there? If sleeveless wetsuits are ok, why wouldnt a "torso and leg-less" wetsuit also be fine?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
explorerJC




Joined: 20 Oct 2005
Posts: 14196
Location: Farthingstone

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:
Clearly in wetsuit prohibited, its a no. He did also ask about in wetsuit optional races though. What's the situation there? If sleeveless wetsuits are ok, why wouldnt a "torso and leg-less" wetsuit also be fine?


yep, fair enough, I assume it would depend on the neoprene thickness in an optional race
_________________
www.appliedtri.co.uk Tri and Du coaching

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Jorgan




Joined: 12 Nov 2007
Posts: 15994
Location: alles was ich bin, alles was ich war

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
stenard wrote:
Clearly in wetsuit prohibited, its a no. He did also ask about in wetsuit optional races though. What's the situation there? If sleeveless wetsuits are ok, why wouldnt a "torso and leg-less" wetsuit also be fine?


yep, fair enough, I assume it would depend on the neoprene thickness in an optional race


In a short OW swim, it might be advantageous to only have the shorts to remove if you're a strong swimmer, but anything Oly or further I'm not sure it would be worth it.
_________________
25 Years since it all began....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Miketri




Joined: 29 Jun 2012
Posts: 630
Location: Somewhere on Sheep House Lane

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, not looking for the cheat option, but in a race such as Swiss where it has a high chance to become optional, at upper temp ranges would likely prefer not to have a full suit, therefore would 3/5mm Zone 3 shorts be allowed as an optional to full suit?
_________________
"Triathlon just means I'm not very good at three different sports"

IMUK 14, IM Lanza 16, Outlaw Half 13/14, Wimbleball 14, Barca 70.3 15, IM Staffs 70.3 15, Manchester Marathon x3, ToughGuy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TransitionTed




Joined: 02 Aug 2008
Posts: 21430
Location: On It Lika A Car Bonnet

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jibberjim wrote:
Jorgan wrote:
CHEAT Exclamation


An option, simply not bothering with the swim would make more sense though.

I feel you're not taking the OP seriously, Jim
_________________
Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
explorerJC




Joined: 20 Oct 2005
Posts: 14196
Location: Farthingstone

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miketri wrote:
Indeed, not looking for the cheat option, but in a race such as Swiss where it has a high chance to become optional, at upper temp ranges would likely prefer not to have a full suit, therefore would 3/5mm Zone 3 shorts be allowed as an optional to full suit?


what does it say in the rules?
_________________
www.appliedtri.co.uk Tri and Du coaching

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
fenix




Joined: 16 Nov 2008
Posts: 1164

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done IMCH twice - both times it was wetsuit. How many times has it been non wetsuit ? I don't think its a high chance...

They are hot on the rules though - they stopped a pal doing IMDE in a trisuit because it had a silicon coating on. He wasn't aware of this and it was a pretty normal trisuit apart from that.

Luckily I had a spare pare of trunks to lend him in T1 - but don't be tempted to bend the rules - you could end up spending 100s and be barred before you've even got a toe in the water.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
max_power_nz




Joined: 07 Sep 2009
Posts: 232

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fenix wrote:
I've done IMCH twice - both times it was wetsuit. How many times has it been non wetsuit ? I don't think its a high chance...

They are hot on the rules though - they stopped a pal doing IMDE in a trisuit because it had a silicon coating on. He wasn't aware of this and it was a pretty normal trisuit apart from that.

Luckily I had a spare pare of trunks to lend him in T1 - but don't be tempted to bend the rules - you could end up spending 100s and be barred before you've even got a toe in the water.


Was non wetsuit in 2015 when I did it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
  Share
 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum





Home | About TT | Privacy Policy | Terms and Conditions | Advertising | Contact TT
Copyright ©2003-2015 TriTalk®.co.uk. All rights reserved.