Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
New to Olympic distance triathlon training
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pompey82

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:39 pm    Post subject: New to Olympic distance triathlon training Reply with quote

Hi, I've signed up to an Olympic distance triathlon next June which will be my second triathlon (I cuffed a sprint tri a couple years ago). I've been looking at the training programmes for that distance and the time spent training seems less than what I am currently doing. When I come to starting my training programme for the Olympic distance should I reduce my training time or keep it similar to what I do now and tailor the sessions?
I'm currently trying to improve my bike so I'm currently doing about 3sessions on the bike 2 of 1hr ish and a long ride of around 50 miles. 2 runs of around 45 mins and 1 hr of swimming. I will be increasing my long run after Christmas in preparation for a half marathon. I have a background in running and have signed up to a half marathon and 109 mile sportive in march and April.
I'm really interested in how to structure my training from April to June taking the above into account?
mattsurf

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really depends on what your objectives are, however, I wouldn't reduce the amount of training that you are doing, if you are happy with it. You will not find it hard to complete an Olympic Distance with a good level of fitness, you may even want to go to the next distance later in the year.

At this time of year, most people are focusing on technique, this is especially true for swimming and cycling. If you are swimming once per week, it is unlikely that you are improving your swim times substantially. My local pool has free coached sessions 3 evenings per week, as well as the local tri club running coached sessions twice per week - it takes months to improve technique, but the result will be a much faster, more efficient swim.

With cycling, at this time of year, a couple of Turbo sessions per week helps you to focus on cadence, power and cycling form, in addition, it is useful to do a long ride every week. When the weather improves, I pack the turbo away and focus on my speed over a 25 mile cycle route, I use 3 different routes, but know how fast I should be riding each one (and use a pacer on my Garmin)

With running, I do parkrun every Saturday, where I run at 100% for 5k, and I try to beat my PB every time (and usually fail, but it does feel good when you succeed). I also run 10k twice per week at a tempo pace (heart rate of 155 - 160 bpm), ideally I would like to improve my pace, without increasing my heart rate

In the new year, you should start to do some BRICKs - after your hour long ride,go for a short run, initially just 1km - 2km is fine, this will help train your body to run off the bike.

I am now training for an IM, so doing half marathons, a marathon, longer rides and swims to build better baseline fitness, but still focusing on form and technique
explorerJC

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's a lot of high intensity run training for an IM. where are you in your plan?

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
mattsurf

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am following the 6 month Ironman Plan from the IM website, but probably doing around 10-11 hours rather than 8 on the plan. I am exactly 6 months out

Prior to this week, I have been doing 7-8 hours per week pretty consitently

Based on my current plan I am trying to do the following

Mon - Turbo for 1.5 hours with Tri club
Tue - 1h 10m 12k Run Tuesday normally 7-8k with Tri club doing Tempo or hills and 4k slow run
Wed - 45min Turbo, 45min Swim
Thur - 10k run or 1 hour aerobics session
Fri - 1.5 hour coached swim with Tri club
Sat - 21m30sec Park run
Sun - 2-3 hour ride (35-50 mile) + 1.5 hour coached swim

But I don't stick 100% to this schedule - for example this Sunday I windsurfed for 3 hours (on the water, covering over 100km), this is great for core strength.

Often due to work commitments I am unable to train for 1 or 2 days

In the past 6 weeks I have done 2 half marathons, and will do a full marathon in late December - this will be the only full marathon before the IM distance in June, but I may do some more half marathons.

I need to loose 6kg so I am managing my diet and doing exercise to burn calories now so that I can manage my diet properly in the months leading to the IM, without having to worry about weight.
iwaters

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: New to Olympic distance triathlon training Reply with quote

Pompey82 wrote:
Hi, I've signed up to an Olympic distance triathlon next June which will be my second triathlon (I cuffed a sprint tri a couple years ago). I've been looking at the training programmes for that distance and the time spent training seems less than what I am currently doing. When I come to starting my training programme for the Olympic distance should I reduce my training time or keep it similar to what I do now and tailor the sessions?
I'm currently trying to improve my bike so I'm currently doing about 3sessions on the bike 2 of 1hr ish and a long ride of around 50 miles. 2 runs of around 45 mins and 1 hr of swimming. I will be increasing my long run after Christmas in preparation for a half marathon. I have a background in running and have signed up to a half marathon and 109 mile sportive in march and April.
I'm really interested in how to structure my training from April to June taking the above into account?

Have you thought about getting a bespoke plan? I have been using them from my coach (www.greenlightpt.co.uk) this year and have had some amazing progress. Its only 60 and will be totally tailored to your goals and current fitness.

I really like it. I get up, see what I have to do, do it, tick it off. Don't have to worry if I am doing too much or too little and seeing the results I know its working.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: New to Olympic distance triathlon training Reply with quote

iwaters wrote:
Pompey82 wrote:

Have you thought about getting a bespoke plan? I have been using them from my coach (www.greenlightpt.co.uk) this year and have had some amazing progress. Its only 60 and will be totally tailored to your goals and current fitness.

I really like it. I get up, see what I have to do, do it, tick it off. Don't have to worry if I am doing too much or too little and seeing the results I know its working.

tailored to your current fitness but perhaps not to your future fitness..

Adamfrommk

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: New to Olympic distance triathlon training Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
iwaters wrote:
Pompey82 wrote:

tailored to your current fitness but perhaps not to your future fitness..

Alright Mr Negative Wink

The plan is written with benchmarks throughout to adjust for improvements Smile

Seems to be doing Ian just fine ;P

explorerJC

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good progress - well done

TriSam

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting to see initial progress is fast but then begins to slow down, as would be expected. If you're still working together, why does the swim graph stop in April 2015 and the running one start only in 2016? Have you switched focus now you're swimming faster? [/list]
stenard

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To chop 90s off the swim time in a little over 6 months is good going.
hammerer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TriSam wrote:
Interesting to see initial progress is fast but then begins to slow down, as would be expected. If you're still working together, why does the swim graph stop in April 2015 and the running one start only in 2016? Have you switched focus now you're swimming faster? [/list]

He selectively edited the results Wink
iwaters

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hammerer wrote:
TriSam wrote:

He selectively edited the results Wink

2015 I only swam and didn't do any Run/Cycle. At the end of 2015 I didn't swim for months as I got a bad eye infection and nearly went blind in one eye. I turned to booze and donuts and in Jan this year decided to get my act together and entered a HIM.

At the start of 2016 I spend time getting back to where I was, there are CSS tests I have done alone that are not on the graph (the ones on the graph are TTs done during 1-2-1s). The graph is also out of date as end of Oct 2016 I went 5:54 in the 400m

2016 was when I started using the full training plans from Adam. Prior that had been 1-2-1 swim clinics and swim only plans. I have only this year been feeding back my results in running and cycling.

I only got a power meter half way through the year but my FTP has increased by 50W on these plans as well (at the same time I have lost a lot of weight).

My focus in the later part of this year has been on Oly distance only and the plans are tailored to reflect that.
TriSam

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impressive stuff, good luck with the season! What races are your goals?
iwaters

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TriSam wrote:

Thanks. Doing Oly distance only. I am going to enter 2 of the qualifiers. I don't think I will be able to qualify and that's not my aim but I want to see how I fair against a strong field. I am hoping for a top 10 AG finish in one of them. I am doing St Neots and Grantham.

There is a local race organised by Big Cow at Emberton park so doing that too.

I will probably do the HSBC tri at Eton, I was in that this year when it was switched to an Duathlon and they are giving everyone 30% discount on next years fees. The flat course suits my style as I can happily bike at steady 95% FTP and not have to haul my weight up hill.
mattsurf

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iwaters wrote:
TriSam wrote:

Thanks. Doing Oly distance only. I am going to enter 2 of the qualifiers. I don't think I will be able to qualify and that's not my aim but I want to see how I fair against a strong field. I am hoping for a top 10 AG finish in one of them. I am doing St Neots and Grantham.

There is a local race organised by Big Cow at Emberton park so doing that too.

I will probably do the HSBC tri at Eton, I was in that this year when it was switched to an Duathlon and they are giving everyone 30% discount on next years fees. The flat course suits my style as I can happily bike at steady 95% FTP and not have to haul my weight up hill.

Pretty impressive results. I was at the HSBC event too, shame it was a Duathlon, but got my best result of the year, hoping to be back next year.

I am going all out to get a good IM time this year, I wish my swim was as good as yours, however, I have taken my CSS from 2.03 at the beginning of October to 1.53 last week
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: