Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Has the Vitruvian jumped the shark?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nobbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:22 pm    Post subject: Has the Vitruvian jumped the shark? Reply with quote

This is the British Champs next year and I remembered it usually fills quickly so I checked the website and found only 500 places taken out of the 1200 available so far. Have they finally taken the piss too much with another increase to £134 plus £5 parking fee?

I'll probably stump up the cash as I'm hoping for an AG medal, but I won't be booking any time soon in case I get injured.
mash180

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not even a closed road race and infact with the amount of traffic on the course it's pretty dangerous so yep definately taking the pi** with the entry fee.
Charging for parking - it's in the middle of nowhere so another pi** take to be honest.
ttowel

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stopped doing that race once it had different transition areas for different age groups. Meant that being over 40 means you are at a disadvantage.
JeffB

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mixed bag for me this year, 2nd last swim start so had to stand around for 30 minutes in my wetsuit waiting to start, I know they couldn't do anything about the weather but we had to be out of transition 40 minutes before my start so any warm clothes were in there. Was getting quite cold by the time I got going.

Got to say I've seen busier bike courses though, and wasn't really technical apart from the bit where you came past transition at the end of lap 1.

Thought it was fairly well organised but don't think I'll be rushing back, national champs or not.

Jeff
fat buddha

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttowel wrote:
Stopped doing that race once it had different transition areas for different age groups. Meant that being over 40 means you are at a disadvantage.

that's changed in recent years - older age groups are now closer to T entry on the tarmac area, younger ones are now on the grass.

and the car park charge has been in place for a few years now - nowt to do with the organisers, it's Anglian Water who has imposed them in all their Rutland Water car parks.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does seem a bit steep for no traffic management etc. I guess because it sells-out, they think there's the demand. Can't be too many Halfs under 100 now?
Nobbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
Does seem a bit steep for no traffic management etc. I guess because it sells-out, they think there's the demand. Can't be too many Halfs under 100 now?

I always look at the Bala half that costs £80-£90 and seems to have been that price for a few years. Maybe that's a bit of an outlier now 🙁

I think the Vit was pretty close to sold out by this time last year, so it will be interesting to see how the entry numbers progress. Once people realise there's no rush, I suspect they will put their entries in much nearer the event. My cash is certainly going to stay where it is for now.
blindcider

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:

DBMax Titan series start at £99 for earlybird entry. No Dartmoor next year though, just Brecon and Weston

Pleasantly surprised with the swim at Weston as well. The current flies you along awesomely speedily.
JeffB

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our clubs Steelman is only £50, granted it is no frills, but I've done worse events.

Day in the lakes is something similar. 

Granted, both are a bit far north for a lot of people.

Jeff
FatPom

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeffB wrote:
Our clubs Steelman is only £50, granted it is no frills, but I've done worse events.

Jeff

Day in the Lakes was my first tri in the UK in 2010. It's not for the faint hearted is it! Wink
Ade

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The amount of traffic and style of roads meant it was impossible to race. Spent a large chunk of the bike sat up coasting stuck in a queue of cars that were stuck behind slower bikes. Especially on the second lap.

When I did the event last (several years ago) the traffic issues were the same (that's why I hadn't been back - but I forgot how rubbish it was). However the parking was included in the entry fee, they sent a parking voucher with the race entry.

In short - yes. £134+5 is taking the piss.
JeffB

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FatPom wrote:
JeffB wrote:

Jeff

Day in the Lakes was my first tri in the UK in 2010. It's not for the faint hearted is it! Wink

It's a nice race, although I haven't done it for a few years but I'm thinking of going this year.

A gentle build-up compared to Helvellyn.

Jeff
SuperTed

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeffB wrote:

Jeff

Any plans for a Double Steelman again? That was a great race and probably the best value IM distance ever at £80/90.
JeffB

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperTed wrote:
JeffB wrote:

Jeff

Any plans for a Double Steelman again? That was a great race and probably the best value IM distance ever at £80/90.

Sadly I think it was a one off, there are too many IM distance races and as our races are marshalled\ran by club members it took a lot of organising as we aren't the biggest club in the country.

Have a look at TC's IM calendar, there are some good races to be had with fairly cheap entries.

As you are from Harrogate (nice place BTW if a bit expensive!) some of the races that Alan is putting on in Scotland look really good, weather and midge dependent of course!

Jeff
snowie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fat buddha wrote:
ttowel wrote:

that's changed in recent years - older age groups are now closer to T entry on the tarmac area, younger ones are now on the grass.

and the car park charge has been in place for a few years now - nowt to do with the organisers, it's Anglian Water who has imposed them in all their Rutland Water car parks.

was on the grass last year & 5 years ago (over 50's) so its not changed & they could easily include car parking in the entrance price.

i think the biggest pi$$ take is BTF charging you to be considered for an AG place, it should be part of the membership to BTF

if people are paying it cannot be over priced-vote with your feet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: