Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
First Marathon Done
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mattsurf

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:54 pm    Post subject: First Marathon Done Reply with quote

Done my first Marathon, the Portsmouth Coastal Marathon. Completed in 03:30:10 First half 01:41:50, second 01:48:20

Conditions today were ideal for running, no wind, no rain and 8 degrees

Really pleased with my time - my running partner and "on the day" coach was a n experienced runner, who normally runs 3h15 marathons, but due to the multi terrain nature of Portsmouth apparently times are typically 15 mins off PB.

Feel confident that I have a 3h15m in me, but not sure I am going to test it out before my first IM distance race in June
Tin Pot

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done.
Iron '16 14:30:49
Half Iron '16 5:53:44
Olympic '16 3:18:18 '15 3:33:05, '13 3:36:00
Sprint '16 1:17:03, '14 1:40:13, '13 2:01:07
Half Mara '16 2:04:32, '14 2:07:11
10 Mile TT '16 26:30
Trail 10K '16 54:01 '13 54:46
PJK

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work there!

That's quite a big difference in split times, but maybe the course was a factor there?
mattsurf

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My splits were disappointing. I ran the first half, and felt really good at 21km, I then set off, with the experienced marathon runner by my side, at a slight negative split. I was actually feeling really strong, and thinking that a 3:20 was possible, then I hit the shingle beach with 13 km to go - afterwards I could not get below 5m/km (having been running at 4:43 previously), all of the runners around me had the same issue. Then at 10km I started to got stabbing pain in my knee, probably due to cramp in at the bottom of my thigh, so I eased off to 5:10/km which seemed to work well, the final 5km were all about managing my legs - I actually felt like I had plenty of energy in my body, and was not feeling tired, but my left calf was tightening up and my right knee had the odd twinge. Rather than risk injury doing a final push over final 5km, I ran in at a steady 5:24/km - with about 10 runners passing me on the final 2km promenade, It was really tempting to make a final push and keep my position, but I knew I could pay dearly for it and significantly interrupt my training, by damaging my knee or straining my calf.

Before yesterday, I have not run any longer than a half marathon. Lots of work on the bike meant that my CV fitness was more than up to the challenge, ultimately my legs were my weakness. The front of my thighs in particular were sore, which is a new experience for me.

My legs this morning are sore, however, I cannot detect any sign of injury.
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You talk of a shingle beach - was it an off road marathon then?

If it was, then i'd be very surprised if you didn't come away with tightness and issues in your legs off a maximum of 21km in training (was this on road or multi terrain?)

I think you made the wise choice of not destroying yourself for the sake of a couple of minor places. You have plenty more to focus on in the next few months.
mattsurf

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gingerbongo wrote:
You talk of a shingle beach - was it an off road marathon then?

If it was, then i'd be very surprised if you didn't come away with tightness and issues in your legs off a maximum of 21km in training (was this on road or multi terrain?)

I think you made the wise choice of not destroying yourself for the sake of a couple of minor places. You have plenty more to focus on in the next few months.

Thanks GB, yes it was multi terrain. Flat as a pancake, but other than 2km out and 2km back on the promenade, it was all off road.

About 500m on muddy beach which is covered at high tide, and 500m on shingle, 6km on old railway line and rest is gravel tracks and narrow paths through fields

I just got the official result, I was in position 131 out of 1324, so top 10% of the field on my first ever marathon

Last edited by mattsurf on Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:22 am; edited 1 time in total
chickenboy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant stuff Matt. My first ever mara time was 3:38 and it took me quite a few attempts to get any where near 3:30! Well done! onwards and upwards!!!
ed_m

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the important thing is.... what have you learnt from this ? what would you do different ?
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ed_m wrote:
So the important thing is.... what have you learnt from this ? what would you do different ?

Swim 2.4 miles and ride 112 miles beforehand Wink Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
mattsurf

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ed_m wrote:

What did I learn?
My nutrition plan worked really well - so stick to it, I still had plenty or energy at the end.

I would have benefited from some longer runs beforehand.

My baseline fitness is pretty good

My core muscles are good - I was really paying attention posture and cadence and felt that I maintained good running form throughout

That the 34km "wall" is a myth

Listen to your body, I am really pleased that I slowed down and didn't injure myself

That I probably have a 3h15m marathon in me somewhere

That I can run faster in shingle than other people I was running with

What would I do differently?
I was pretty happy with the way it went, I would have been happy with a 3h40m, so 3h30m was a big bonus

If I had maintained 4:55 for the first half (rather than speeding up to 4:50/KM), I would have taken less out of my legs and would probably have made a negative split and could possible have done a 3h25m

need to build up to 32km in training to build condition in my legs

I forgot my calf guards, would they have made a difference? I don't think so, however, it introduced some negative thoughts at the start

need to investigate / try out?

I didn't take any salt, I have some salt capsules, however, I didn't want to try something different on race day

I skipped the first 2 water stations, I didn't feel thirsty, but did mild dehydration cause calf to tighten later in the race

How to strengthen my legs (especially thighs) to continue to work well for 42km
KingstonGraham

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:

I would have benefited from some longer runs beforehand.

How long was your longest training run?
mattsurf

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

21km was my longest training run. The issue is that I have had niggling injuries for the past 3 months - nothing serious, but enough to stay off very long training runs - it was only 2 weeks ago that I finally felt fully injury free, but since then I have been gentle with running to keep it that way
Whisk

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:

My nutrition plan worked really well - so stick to it, I still had plenty or energy at the end.

I think the 2nd of those points is usually a consequence of messing up the 1st Wink

From a nutrition point of view, the big difference in the IM is that you'll have already dug into your reserves on the swim and bike. IM is all about pacing and nutrition and while you are on the bike you are not just fuelling for the rest of the bike leg but also for the run that you are about to do.
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and it's fuelling enough vs taking on so much that your stomach completely shuts down on the run and you can barely take a sip of water and half a ritz biscuit in at each aid station, wondering if you are going to completely run out of energy by the end ... now who could have done this on their one and only IM experience?!

Finished with a 3:55 though (IM Wales), so not terrible, but it wasn't pleasant either!
ed_m

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whisk wrote:
mattsurf wrote:

I think the 2nd of those points is usually a consequence of messing up the 1st Wink

I was trying not to be snidey but.... the 34km wall is a myth but he started to struggle with 13km to go. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: