Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Turbo training

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sooooooooz

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:02 am    Post subject: Turbo training Reply with quote

So back onto the turbo in the New Year after a long break. I struggled with setting up TrainerRoad and some of you helped to get me started. I'm wondering whether to spend some money on an updated turbo and some interesting but EASY training something-or-others. I have smart TV, iPad, iphone etc but don't know where to start. I just want to make it as simple as possible but effective and I don't mind spending some cash if it helps me get back onto the bike. Any ideas?
tuckandgo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to keep it simple:

- Get some good music or a tv in front.

- work on perceived effort - easy, moderate, hard, flat out.

- get 3 or 4 'key sessions' that you can do that you know. Plenty on the web.
Some examples1 hour workouts :
- 2*20min at moderate/hard with 5 or 10mins rest.
- 6 * 4mins at hard/flat out with 4-6mins rest
- 20/20/20 easy/moderate/hard

Hope that helps.
athlete_builder

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to spend some time on the turbo and have a power meter Zwift is the way to go. Trainer road good for shorter harder sessions, zwift good for that as well but the use of power enables virtual racing.

Sounds tacky and geeky but I found it actually works really well and I can look forward to a 2 hour ride/race on the turbo rather than dreading the monotony of another turbo session. Our club has set up a Zwift facebook page and virtual reality training squad - again sounds bonkers but it works really well. Team time trials, racing, would you believe even some virtual social rides! Give it a go for free for 30 days, whats to loose.
sooooooooz

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info....both are motivating. The Zwift idea does sound great and I'm into my FB groups! BUT what power meter???? and and I need one that is easy to fix knowing my record of ineptitude Smile
sooooooooz

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

or just had a look online... quite interested in KICKR as I'll only ever have the one bike to use indoors and it looks easy to set up.
TransitionTed

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Sufferfest
chickenboy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sooooooooz wrote:
or just had a look online... quite interested in KICKR as I'll only ever have the one bike to use indoors and it looks easy to set up.

I've used kickr since it came out with TrainerRoad. It's a solid quality piece of kit that hasn't let me down. You can't go wrong if you buy one. There is now also a cheaper tacx smart turbo, but I'm not sure what it's like
pip

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a very old turbo which works fine for me and i have a monthly subscription to sufferfest. I think its about 7 a month and i can chose any session. You can also buy single sessions.

i went to a spin class over xmas and it was ok but my sufferfest sessions are better and harder.
triguypro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Peak XV tri coaching have just started putting both their weekly swim and turbo sessions on their website. Ideal if you need a session which fits in with the time of year.

They can be found here

http://peakxvtricoaching.co.uk/peak-xv-turbo-sessions/
http://peakxvtricoaching.co.uk/peak-xv-swim-sets/
iest999

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using the Trainerroad plans with a BKool Pro trainer. I really like the structure of the plans and the control of the power that the BKool gives, to ensure that you are right in the sweet spot.
I doubt that the BKool is as accurate as the Wahoo, and so on, but I'm only after consistent power readings, regardless of true value. Tacx and Elite also make "affordable" smart trainers now.
I would welcome your thoughts on a proper fan for cooling. My pedestal fan is not cutting it for the high intensity workouts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: