Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
January no drinking

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SloggingScotsman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:02 am    Post subject: January no drinking Reply with quote

If any of you fellow tters decide to give up alcohol in January, like I did this time last year, then can I offer some thoughts from a previous heavy drinker of red wine.

Until I gave up alcohol I did not realise that I drank a lot. Seriously, just didn't see it. It wasn't a problem or issue so I guess that I never noticed.

I did however notice when I quit.

It would be no understatement to say that I had severe concentration and sleep problems for the first few months, which I now know is due to paws (post acute withdrawal symptoms).

They were really bad in the first three months, and then tapered off to only being an issue for a week a month, until about nine months in, and now at a year aren't an issue (though I understand it can take two years for some).

Now over this year I have had 13 drinks, as I don't want to get to the stage where I have to stay clear of alcohol. It matters to me that I can have a drink, or occasionally two, and know that I can then stop without problem or issue. And I have been successful.

Truth be told I don't really like the taste much nowadays.

Anyhow my point, if any of you decide to be dry in January and then find that your mind is flying all over the place, you are having severe difficulty concentrating, and your sleep is all over the place, don't panic.

While I got through this on my own, only mentioning it to my doctor when she was concerned about pretty high blood pressure, the NHS Choices website has a lot of good info on it, if you do go dry and find these symptoms, then don't panic, they are normal stages of withdrawal.

Keep working though it, it does get better.
Gus

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bearing in mind I got a bottle of Talisker and a Collector's Edition of rare and special malts mini bottles for Christmas, I'm happy to say my 2017 is going to be very 'wet'.

My 15 minutes of fame
SloggingScotsman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gus wrote:
Bearing in mind I got a bottle of Talisker and a Collector's Edition of rare and special malts mini bottles for Christmas, I'm happy to say my 2017 is going to be very 'wet'.
more of a Balvenie man myself, but regardless enjoy Smile
Gus

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Sloggers, and I shall raise a glass to your good health.

My 15 minutes of fame
explorerJC

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it was very hard to free myself from the army drinking culture and I only managed to get off the Guinness by replacing it with red wine...

best wishes Sloggers...keep your mind clear so that you may dream with clarity Smile

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Thing of the Fountains

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to give up drinking last year, but by 4pm on New Years day I was so thirsty I just had to have a long swig from the kitchen tap.
SloggingScotsman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funnily enough I found giving up drinking to be straightforward and not difficult. What was difficult was realising that my mind was darting all over the place and that I had difficulty maintaining thoughts for any length of time. Made worse by poor quality sleep. That got easier when I read on NHS choices that it was common, and some months later mentioning to my gp who confirmed.

In a few days time I will be making greater efforts on my eating, which will be a real challenge (though I have once lost seven stone, and have lost over a stone this year). Feels like I have put ten stone back on this week though!

For any soon to be alcohol abstainers, in case it helps, I went cold turkey for three months, with the promise of a mojito on my birthday. I had the target of ensuring that I had a dozen or so drinks this year to make sure that I could still enjoy it. I have had 14 and that is probably it. Truth be told I don't really like the taste as much now.

But at least I know that I can have a drink or two without falling back. One benefit of having strong willpower. (Which has been independently observed by others, even though some may incorrectly assume that my obesity means that I have little willpower).

Thinking about it, today is probably near as matters, the day that I quit last year.
SloggingScotsman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
it was very hard to free myself from the army drinking culture and I only managed to get off the Guinness by replacing it with red wine...

best wishes Sloggers...keep your mind clear so that you may dream with clarity Smile
thank you Ejc.

A little Christmas pressy for you Wink the Ashmolean has an exhibition just now called "power and prestige" iirc. It is about Islamic superstitions, jinn, etc.

One of the several things that I found absolutely fascinating was their "Dream books". You might find them interesting.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SloggingScotsman wrote:
explorerJC wrote:

thank you Ejc.

A little Christmas pressy for you Wink the Ashmolean has an exhibition just now called "power and prestige" iirc. It is about Islamic superstitions, jinn, etc.

One of the several things that I found absolutely fascinating was their "Dream books". You might find them interesting.

power and protection...

indeed i would, thanks, but whether I can get there before the 15th, i'm not sure...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
SloggingScotsman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the good fortune to also be able to attend a talk in the lecture theatre about it, and I will admit it was riveting. Mind you the exhibition itself was quite enlightening for me on so many different levels. Yet for others it does nothing.

Some big takeaways for me:-

1. The dream books. Conceptually very similar to early stage crv etc.
2. How the angels have fiery halos, as opposed to the smooth shiny ones of most religions. I asked about this in the talk and it has appently to do with the level of the angel.
3. If you know about the esoteric power of words, you can "feel" that in some exhibits. Well I can.

One of the most productive couple of hours at the exhibition, and subsequent hour at the talk, that I have had this year. It has directly catapulted my own esoteric growth forwards. Or in simple terms I enjoyed it immensely.

If you do decide to go Ejc if I could make it I would go with you to bore you to death on how what I do is directly related to this exhibition. Fair warning though I would bore you to death about it, and you would probably think many of my thoughts mad and insane.

Equally though you may gain a glimpse of how my mind works, and how esoterics is threaded though each of our daily lives. You may also get a bit of a better feel for how remote viewing works.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Off-Topic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: