Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
3D Motion Capture for runners

View previous topic :: View next topic  
iainm

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:37 am    Post subject: 3D Motion Capture for runners Reply with quote

If you like a bit of data with your running then it's worth taking a look at the new 3D Motion Capture they have at Profeet in London. I tried this out a couple of weeks ago and the volume of info you get is phenomenal.

This page gives more info about it, but it works not by taping on sensors, but by using two depth sensitive cameras. The cameras are programmed to identify different body parts. What it means is that instead of relying on a run tech's opinion, you can see the exact mechanics of how your body moves through each stride cycle.

FULL DISCLAIMER - I didn't pay for my analysis as I do some work for Profeet and am on their team of ambassadors (as a GFA athlete). I would have done this analysis anyway though. When I think about the money I've flushed away on kit over the years, this looks like a much better investment.

I came out of the CCC ultra in August with a problem in my right knee - the 3D analysis has confirmed that my right knee buckles in at the point of max load. With the help of Steve, we tracked that back to weaknesses on my left side, particularly in the hamstring. I have some specific exercises to work on to address my weaknesses and while this might have been detected in a 'normal' gait analysis, I now have some objective data to work with (although I'll obviously have to do it again to check any progress).

I'm not writing this because I'm being paid for it. It's because as far as I know it's the only 3D analysis in the UK and was super-impressed by it. You don't have to just take my word for it as I know at least one other triathlete on here (Towel) has tried it out and was impressed. You can read his blog about his visit here.

explorerJC

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some interesting data...however...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Gus

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks interesting (if a tad pricey).

Do you think it's worth paying for the more detailed analysis for a bottom-of-the-field, 50yr old HIM/IM athlete? Or will the more basic service make sufficient difference? I will never 'compete' in the top half of the field but any efficiency improvement would be welcome, particularly as my joints are showing signs of age now...

My 15 minutes of fame
ttowel

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I go into these things very sceptical and will shop around until i find a place that people a) know what they are doing and b) Know more about something than I do.

Bike fits are great examples of money wasted if you know what to look for.

The profeet analysis was very good though and gives context to my niggles, shoe wear patterns and conditioning work I need to work on.

I have changed a few things in response, back to back 100 mile weeks and niggle free is an N=1 anecdotal endorsement.
Mungo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

100 miles two weeks running.....
Wish I could ride that far in the winter.
iainm

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the basic analysis is enough to give you good info to start working with. The catch is that you don't know for sure if you've improved without doing it again, but I've certainly adjusted my running style since I went in.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: