Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Looking for a European destination .....

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GrahamO

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:11 am    Post subject: Looking for a European destination ..... Reply with quote

Mrs O and I used to have a weeks holiday somewhere which combined a bit of afternoon cycling with a mornings sightseeing/tourism kind of thing - usually self-catered.

I've been considering a week in Europe in the summer so have been trying to find a location where I can do some nice cycling directly from a location that isnt too far from a lot of interesting places to visit by car. We normally tour by car in the morning, have a decent lucnh and then I clear off cycling in the afternoon.

Anyone recommend any small towns around the Alps that might fit this kind of requirement ?

Thanks and Happy New Year from the UAE.
Cat5 in the Hat

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a big fan on Liechtenstein.

Nothing ever happens there and the whole country can be cycled in a day or so. Plenty of cycling up and down the Alps or along the Rhine. Accommodation isn't too pricey but food can be. It is a beautiful place. Capital city is Vaduz and has a nice castle at the top of a steep hill. Great to run up.

If you venture slightly further North you can head back in to Germany and visit Lake Konstanz and some of the islands there. I think the lake is something like ~220km all around.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garmisch perhaps.

Fly into MUC. Plenty of Bavarian sights to see within an hour by car....Neuschwanstein castle, Herren Chiemsee, Oberammergau, Munich, Innsbruck. Decent roads, and some nice scenic loops from there - I went there for a few days cycling a few years ago.
ed_m

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dolomites looked good when I was stuck there for work.... we stayed in la villa sterna (as I recall) which had a lot of spa stuff going down too.

Some good looking high level walking trails and serious big passes for pedalling.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

raced in the Dolomites once...at barcis...awesome...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
ttowel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clusaz near Annecy would fit the bill.

Easy access to lots of mountain passes, lots of good places within easy driving distance if you like cheese, wine, scenery and markets.

Easy to get to Albertville, Annecy, etc, lots of castles, abbeys and vineyards around.

Great for cycling and pretty cheap to stay if S/C
Alexander222

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My family love Saalfelden, Austria. You may check out on the opportunities of the Salzburg region for example here https://tranio.com/slovenia,austria,cyprus,spain,france/spotlight/5-best-places-to-buy-property-for-15-million-in-europe_5161/
Have fun!
Tony Stark

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got back from a week in Serre Chevalier which was great. Historic stuff in Briancon http://www.ville-briancon.fr/. It's where Hannibal crossed the Alps and there is an old fort there, plus spas etc. Nice small linked villages with lots of accom. Central for most of the Alps so good for Italy and Switzerland also. Fly in to Turin which is close and transfers easily available. You could time your holiday for TDF and maybe take in a stage or 2 when they are nearby. Double stage in Serre Chevalier this year - Stage 17 on Wed 19 July drops down from the Galibier into Serre Chevalier and the next day they leave along the valley towards Embrun 40km away before starting climbing again for the rest of the day.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Off-Topic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: