Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Huub ex-demo
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aldo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:20 am    Post subject: Huub ex-demo Reply with quote

Anyone bought one of the Huub ex-demo suits before? Iíve noticed they have a good price for the Archimedes 2 which is their top of the line suit but Iím not sure just how many finger nail marks are likely and whether the life of the suit will be less. My alternative is a new Zone 3 Aspire which reviews very well but overall the Archimedes would be a level above I expect. Not quite sure which way to go... Size wise the zone 3 fits well but haven't tried the huub.
moonmonkey02

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was considering huub for a new suit but I found numerous reviews / comments about how fragile they are. In the end I bought a zone 3 vanquish.
JaRok2300

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no personal experience of Huub but I help organise my club's open water swimming and the consensus would seem to match Moonmonkey's.

Swimmers complaining how quickly they nicked and marked up even from brand new. I'd be wary of an ex-demo unless I could see it first.

On the flip side people seemed very happy with the flexibility and speed but I guess the two factors go hand in hand to some extent.
Aldo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting responses, thanks. Basically they are selling a £549.99 suit for 200 quid as an ex-demo so itís an opportunity to swim in a top of the range suite without breaking the bank. But the robustness of Huub is my big concern. My wife uses Huub suits and they degrade much faster than the Orca I currently use. Not possible to see in advance but you can send it back for a refund if not happy.

The vanquish is a really nice suit which Iíve tried on but sadly donít really have the budget to justify it! But it did make me think how nice it would be to have a top of the line suit
Jorgan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it depends if you don't mind if it possibly only lasts a couple of seasons for £200.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've seen some bargains of late, but in odd sizes

i do have an almost new Blue Seventy Helix (used twice, rinsed and hung up for storage) for sale, SM 160-170, 64-75kg

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
OnTheRun

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
i do have an almost new Blue Seventy Helix (used twice, rinsed and hung up for storage) for sale, SM 160-170, 64-75kg

How much are you selling it for?
explorerJC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OnTheRun wrote:
explorerJC wrote:

How much are you selling it for?

£200

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Stivrunning

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

personally I wouldn,t get another HUUB ,

I would go back to ORCA or SNUG
Gus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wiggle were selling brand-new Zone 3 Vanquish's for £255 at the end of last season. They even had 'normal' sizes in, although they unsurprisingly went very quickly.

I bought one (even though I'm too fat to fit into it yet!) ready for this coming season.

I know it's not much help now but if you want a top-end wetsuit for budget price, always wait until around Sept/Oct/Nov time and pick up the end-of-season clear-outs.

(And incidentally this is my second Vanquish and I cannot recommend it enough, it's awesome).

My 15 minutes of fame
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stivrunning wrote:
personally I wouldn,t get another HUUB ,

I would go back to ORCA or SNUG

+1

I've had my Snugg Slipstream since 2008; basically bulletproof and made-to-measure. A lot more than £200 though, even back then.
PhilleusPhogg

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a Huub Archimedes, didn't really get on with it, so tried a Zone3 Aspire and loved it, tried the Vanquish and was actually a bit slower round the same loop so decided to save the cash and go with the cheaper option.

Summary - it seems wetsuits are a very personal thing, the one that fits the best and has buoyancy that gels with your current technique is usually going to be the quickest. I wouldn't bother getting too fixated on buying a top-end wetsuit, since a mid-range 200 quid one that fits will probably be just as good.

As far as Huub build quality goes, The zip on my Archimedes broke in the 2nd race I did in it, got a replacement suit (fair play that bit was easy) which ripped on the shoulder within one season.
mattsurf

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Huub ex-demo Reply with quote

Aldo wrote:
Anyone bought one of the Huub ex-demo suits before? Iíve noticed they have a good price for the Archimedes 2 which is their top of the line suit but Iím not sure just how many finger nail marks are likely and whether the life of the suit will be less. My alternative is a new Zone 3 Aspire which reviews very well but overall the Archimedes would be a level above I expect. Not quite sure which way to go... Size wise the zone 3 fits well but haven't tried the huub.

Yes, I bought a Huub Archimedes 2 size M ex demo last year. I used it on 6 olympic distance OW swims, 1 HIM distance and a 5 or 6 OW training swims.

When it arrived it was defect free, even though it was sold as "repaired" I couldn't see any repairs

After a season a use it is still in very good condition, I have used Black Witch to repair a couple of very minor issues.

Yes it is fragile, but treat it well I think that it will last at least a couple of season. I put it in a rinse cycle in the washing machine after each swim

Maybe I was lucky, not everyone has had the same experience.
Stivrunning

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Huub ex-demo Reply with quote

.[quote]Yes it is fragile, but treat it well I think that it will last at least a couple of season. I put it in a rinse cycle in the washing machine after each swim
[quote]

really washing machine rinse ?(interesting never thought of that a slow rinse i guess )
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just hose mine off with cold water; I use vaseline on it too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: