Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
How to check if ANT+ data coming in? Any free trainer s/w?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:37 pm    Post subject: How to check if ANT+ data coming in? Any free trainer s/w? Reply with quote

I have used TrainerRoad successfuly in times past, but cashflow is a little tight at the moment.

I have an old Tacx i-Magic which I used to use a lot with their real-life videos which, at the time, was brilliant. However I now discover it's so old a 21st century PC wont even run the software anymore. It worked well as a simple turbo with TR using their power profile.

I also have a Garmin cadence and speed sensor on my turbo bike which I connected via ANT+ dongle into my laptop with TrainerRoad - again worked well.

However, TR has expired and I don't know if these sensors are still working anymore, and I can't afford TR to check to see if they're producing data. My very old Garmin watch doesn't seem to pick them up.

I need a new (preferably free) set up to firstly train with and, secondly, to check to see if any data is coming in from the sensors via the ANT+ dongle.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

My 15 minutes of fame
jibberjim

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoldenCheetah

https://github.com/GoldenCheetah/GoldenCheetah/wiki/Realtime-set-up
JaRok2300

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also use Bkool for free, the only difference is you don't get the video or 3D views, just a map.
You should be able to use it to check if your sensors are working, not sure about training on it with your set-up though.
I also use Golden Cheetah as already suggested and the combination of both gives me quite a lot of options without any cost
Gus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys.

As an update, I downloaded and tried Golden Cheetah. I interfaced my HR, Cadence and Speed sensors very easily and it showed them all working a treat. (And reminded me a long-forgotten discovery that my Garmin S&C sensors are not compatible with my old Garmin Forerunner, so no wonder they didn't register).

Did my first turbo session using it this morning - works a real treat, even watched an episode of Blackadder within the software itself with all my metrics displaying alongside. A really good piece of free software that I can (at this stage) really recommend.

Trouble is, though, I rather miss the structured training workouts I had in TrainerRoad - but I can live without them if it's saving $100. (Anyone know if there are compatible workouts I can download anywhere?)

My 15 minutes of fame
jibberjim

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gus wrote:
Trouble is, though, I rather miss the structured training workouts I had in TrainerRoad - but I can live without them if it's saving $100. (Anyone know if there are compatible workouts I can download anywhere?)

Can't you just make your own in the workout library?
JaRok2300

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are thousands of workouts on ErgDB, GC will go and get them within the software if you click on the menu in the workout section on the left.

ErgDB also lets you build your own. I made 4 on 13th Jan with 1min, 5min and 20min sweet spot options for 45 or 60mins but there almost endless other ones on there.

I find it easier to find the workouts by going directly into ErgDB (where you can see a preview of the workout) as the box GC brings up doesn't show as much detail. You can then select it in GC by the name.
Gus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jibberjim wrote:
Gus wrote:

Can't you just make your own in the workout library?

Yes I can, just being lazy Wink

Just assumed there must be loads of people out there who've already put together series of workouts for all eventualities, which would speed up the process.

If I could get my old Tacx real-life videos working on it (which were brilliant) I could even try to design workouts around them... again I would've thought people would have already done this for many RL videos...

Another wish-list item is if it had a virtual power profile for an old iMagic like TR could... I think someone asked a few years back but don't think it went anywhere.

But all in all, really pleased with this software - thanks for the recommendation.

My 15 minutes of fame
Gus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaRok2300 wrote:
There are thousands of workouts on ErgDB, GC will go and get them within the software if you click on the menu in the workout section on the left.

ErgDB also lets you build your own. I made 4 on 13th Jan with 1min, 5min and 20min sweet spot options for 45 or 60mins but there almost endless other ones on there.

I find it easier to find the workouts by going directly into ErgDB (where you can see a preview of the workout) as the box GC brings up doesn't show as much detail. You can then select it in GC by the name.

Ahhh, thanks, let me investigate....

Edited to add: Awesome... thousands of 'em, thank you!

My 15 minutes of fame

Last edited by Gus on Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:04 pm; edited 2 times in total
JaRok2300

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS. You can build workouts in GC but I didn't have much success with those, they kept crashing after a few minutes. They are mrc files but when I use erg files from ErgDB it works fine.
I am using a very old laptop so might just be me and work fine for you.
JaRok2300

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried downloading the 4 I built in ErgDB last night and GC didn't like 2 of them. I think it's my fault as the 2 that didn't work both had / in the file name.

I had to save them manually from ErgDB into the workout file on the laptop and rename them.

Takeaway - don't use slashes in Erg file names.
Gus

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I downloaded every single workout onto my laptop from the ErgDB which was a bit silly... I thought I was downloading one but didn't realise I'd selected all... still, proves it all works though Laughing

My 15 minutes of fame
JaRok2300

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bloody hell, I know they're small files but that's still quite a list.

I did 2x20mins at 90% FTP last night -supposed to be sweet spot but didn't feel very sweet, I was down to 70rpm halfway through the 2nd interval.

There is definitely that feeling of the cadence vicious circle in Erg mode, you get tired, your cadence drops, the trainer increases resistance to make up for it so your cadence drops some more etc etc etc.
Gus

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still on my old, non-smart turbo (iMagic) so it doesn't control resistance - just stuck at one simple resistance and rely on the bike's gears to provide that.

I was using it this morning for a simple 30 min spin and planning that as I have no power measurement at all (TR had virtual power which I wish GC had), I'm going to have to program some simple sessions based around speed as the key metric. With my set up, I can only think that's the best metric that is as close functionally to power.

My 15 minutes of fame
stenard

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a Garmin device with connect iq? I believe there are some virtual power data fields people have programmed on there.
Gus

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:
Do you have a Garmin device with connect iq? I believe there are some virtual power data fields people have programmed on there.

Sadly no - I have an old Garmin Forerunner 305.

It's so old, it's not even compatible with the Garmin speed/cadence ANT+ sensors on the bike...

My 15 minutes of fame
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: