Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Middle Distance Clothing Advice

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Complicated Disaster

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:34 pm    Post subject: Middle Distance Clothing Advice Reply with quote

Hi All,

I've just entered my first middle distance race (Cowman) having previously done sprint and standard distances. I'm not sure I'm very keen on cycling 92km in my tri shorts so I was wondering if it was the done thing to change into normal bike shorts in T1 and then into running shorts in T2? Behind a towel, of course.

Ta

CD
stenard

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For my first half, I thought the same. I just stuck some bike shorts over the top of my tri shorts in T1 and took them off in T2. No towel needed.

I now have a pair of higher spec 2XU tri shorts. The chamois in that is amazing. It's more comfortable than most of my prior bib shorts, and yet still minimal enough to run in without noticing it.

I still wear a full tri suit up to Oly though and save those shorts for longer stuff.
iwaters

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did Cowman last year as my first ever 70.3 also. Coming up to the race I did plan on putting cycling bib over my tri suit as I was also getting a sore butt.

In the end I didn't. Mainly because during my bike fit the fitter changed my saddle for a tri specific one and by the race I had also got used to riding the distance a few times without soreness.

I lived near by an also did a race pace simulation of the course in a tri suit a few weeks before.
straightouttabrompton

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with what stenard suggests, I would think finding a more comfortable pair of tri shorts is the best option.
JeffB

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a very old pair of Nike shorts, they actually fit over the tri suit but under the wetsuit so I don't put them on in T1.

Having said that, as the bike fits better now and I've got used to it I usually just go with the tri suit, it has a good chamois.

I also put chamois cream on, I know some of it is going to wash off in the swim but you still get some benefit.

Jeff
Tin Pot

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used sugoi Tri shorts for my first half and 2xu suit for my full, no problems with the chamois on either - seat trouble is usually fit imho.

I think you need the least faff on race day.

As for your life, I'd say youre making things too complicated - simplify. Things can still go wrong, but it's a simpler affair to deal with.
Sprint '16 1h17, '14 1h40, '13 2h01
Half Mara '16 2h04, '14 2h07
10 Mile TT '16 00:26:30
Trail 10K '16 54:01 '13 54:46
Gus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tin Pot wrote:
I used sugoi Tri shorts for my first half and 2xu suit for my full, no problems with the chamois on either - seat trouble is usually fit imho.

I think you need the least faff on race day.

As for your life, I'd say youre making things too complicated - simplify. Things can still go wrong, but it's a simpler affair to deal with.

+1

I jumped from Oly to full distance and got used to changing between disciplines in the full. I then tried half-distances and started changing until one day, I 'risked' a tri-suit (DeSoto)... and realised hell, it's so much easier in a single suit. No faff. 3 halves planned this year, and I'll be single-suited for all three.

My 15 minutes of fame
Cobbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is definitely an element of getting used to it but I agree with those who point at bike fit. The simplest thing you can do is point your saddle down at the nose very slightly.
British Cycling worked with the UCI last year to change the rules on this:
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2016/aug/15/team-gb-cycling-saddle-sore-medals

Quote:
In one of its “just because” rulings, the UCI, cycling’s global governing body, had decreed that saddles were only allowed a tilt of less than 2.5 degrees, with a 0.5 degree margin of error. “We presented our findings to the UCI and they have since increased the angle of tilt to nine degrees with a tolerance of one degree. This has had a major impact on rider health, for both men and women, across the sport,”

Personally, I use a two piece rather than a tri suit but as others have said, investing in a decent fitting garment is very important. The less you have to think / worry about in transition the better.
Good luck Smile
Chrace

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, personally, have found the Castelli tri stuff to work well on the bike. Less so the 2XU I used before. We're all shaped different, but I find tri kit is near equal in comfort to bike kit for races.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find if you're deliberating between two sizes, choose the smaller one for cycling/tri kit. The last thing you want is the pad moving about because the shorts are too big. Also, sometimes heavily contoured pads can be uncomfortable with tri saddles with split noses - you're constantly shifting about to get comfortable.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: