Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Transition bags
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boltondirtbag

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:41 pm    Post subject: Transition bags Reply with quote

Hi

Can anyone recommend a good transition bag?
Reviews seem to be a bit thin on the ground.
Ideally I would like a bag that I could use at the gym as well
Up to ironman distance.

Any suggestions welcome

Thanks in advance

Barry
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Popcorn
moonmonkey02

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plastic carrier bag.

If you're a gear snob upgrade to a bag for life.

You could even get a different bag from 3 supermarkets for run/bike /swim.
blindcider

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Transition bags Reply with quote

Boltondirtbag wrote:
Hi

Can anyone recommend a good transition bag?
Reviews seem to be a bit thin on the ground.
Ideally I would like a bag that I could use at the gym as well
Up to ironman distance.

Any suggestions welcome

Thanks in advance

Barry

Most Ironman events will give you separate bags for S/B/R so other than getting your kit there you don't really need one

The average Tri specific kitbag is going to be too big to haul to the gym as it normally has wetsuit and helmet storage and you'd be better off with a normal rucksack.

If you must get a tri specific one then wait for 220 Triathlon to do their yearly subscription deal and you'll get a nice HUUB one.
hammerer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Transition bags Reply with quote

blindcider wrote:

If you must get a tri specific one then wait for 220 Triathlon to do their yearly subscription deal and you'll get a nice HUUB one.

You also get a years supply of toilet paper, although its not the best quality out there.
Whisk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*waits for another new member to come along and recommend an amazing new transition bag that they've discovered* Rolling Eyes Wink
stenard

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They clearly get a bit of scorn from some around here, but I managed to pick up this one in the 2xu black friday sales for cú25.

I'm hugely impressed with the available space inside and the various pockets and sections.

As I dont have a car, it's actually going to be really helpful. There's a number of races where I have to ride 20mins to get a lift, or even 30+ mins to the start itself. Having a single large bag that's comfortable to wear and can fit all my gear is going to be practical. As it was, I was generally cramming a smaller backpack full of stuff, with running shoes hanging off handlebars etc. And often I'd need to leave the soaked wetsuit with whoever gave me the lift and pick it up separately later in the week as it was just too big to fit back in my bag once wet.

If I had a car, then yes, its potentially overkill. But I'd argue still convenient to have everything neatly organised and accessible in a single bag.
FoulOleRon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always found a standard sports bag to have more than enough space, and made the walk from car to transition much easier. If you're riding to events, I would imagine the 2XU one that Stenard has would be the better option.

Tried a box once, but the thing wobbled around so much I nearly dropped it three times. Hopefully one day there will be something designed that I can rest over my top tube.
Pedro Peru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So long as it is really expensive I don't mind what I use. I have a free backpack I got when I joined a gym 16 years ago but who would want to be seen with any old bag in transition?
explorerJC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:
They clearly get a bit of scorn from some around here, but I managed to pick up this one in the 2xu black friday sales for cú25.

I'm hugely impressed with the available space inside and the various pockets and sections.
bag.

All good, except for the colour

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
jibberjim

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whisk wrote:
*waits for another new member to come along and recommend an amazing new transition bag that they've discovered* Rolling Eyes Wink

I still want a version of the 2009 Kona finishers bag in black, it's a great bag!

Wouldn't actually use it for triathlon of course, but it's a good bag for trips.
Tin Pot

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The IMUK '16 transition bag is pretty good, I like to keep all my kit together when training, keep the wetsuit seperate.

Plus everyone is impressed at the gym, which is the key concern.
Sprint '16 1h17, '14 1h40, '13 2h01
Half Mara '16 2h04, '14 2h07
10 Mile TT '16 00:26:30
Trail 10K '16 54:01 '13 54:46
SwimsLikeAWalrus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:

As I dont have a car, it's actually going to be really helpful. There's a number of races where I have to ride 20mins to get a lift, or even 30+ mins to the start itself. Having a single large bag that's comfortable to wear and can fit all my gear is going to be practical. As it was, I was generally cramming a smaller backpack full of stuff, with running shoes hanging off handlebars etc. And often I'd need to leave the soaked wetsuit with whoever gave me the lift and pick it up separately later in the week as it was just too big to fit back in my bag once wet.

If I had a car, then yes, its potentially overkill. But I'd argue still convenient to have everything neatly organised and accessible in a single bag.

I've had one for years now and it is great. I take all my crap to the race in it. As you say good for putting on your back and riding your bike down to transition. I tend to leave it in the bag dump area (if there is one!) and shove my kit in a plastic bag incase of inclement weather. If there is no bag dump it just gets squashed down and sits under my bike within the handlebar width footprint.

I like to use a Sainbury's carrier bag to make myself look like an amateur Smile Smile oh hang on ....
fenix

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just enter an Ironman and then use the souvenir backpack they give you.

Free !
stenard

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fenix wrote:
Just enter an Ironman and then use the souvenir backpack they give you.

Free !

Yes, they're "free"!!
Also, they're about the size of pencil case. I've used them once or twice, but you can fit basically nothing of substance in them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: