Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Garmin computer recommendations

View previous topic :: View next topic  
holster

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:24 pm    Post subject: Garmin computer recommendations Reply with quote

Hi all

Have a stages power meter and Garmin 910xt. Use the Stages alongside my iPhone while using trainerroad for turbo training. Love the data it gives me.

Looking ahead to when it's a little warmer, would like to replicate what the phone gives me in terms of a bike computer.

Must have:
-Ant compatibility (was nearly ready to go for the Garmin 200 until I realised Ant wasn't supported)
-Speed
-Cadence
-Power

Ideally:
-Maps / GPS

Preferably nearest to 100 as possible. Second hand is fine.
stenard

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You arent going to get anything with maps for anything like 100.
Why not just use the 910xt if you already have it and price is a factor? Just mount it on the bike using the QR kit?

The only standalone bike computer that does everything you want in the right price range is the Edge 500 (assuming you want to stick with Garmin), but that doesnt do "maps" ... its just a breadcrumb trail like you can do on the 910xt.
jibberjim

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:

Course you are, Garmin 705's can be picked up cheaper than that and tick all the boxes.
moonmonkey02

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

probably best value for money cycling specific unit is the garmin edge 500/520.

500 still delivers and can be picked up of ebay for a reasonable price. simple small unit that many cyclists still swear by as the best for computer.

if you were buying new i'd now go for the 520 - probably more functions than you need but in a simple/small package and better gps capabilities than the 500.
JaRok2300

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a 2nd hand 705 and put the maps on it for free using instructions from DC Rainmaker. You see plenty advertised with the maps already on though.
They're a bit bulkier than the newer ones and you need an adapter if you want to use the standard Garmin twist mount, which also raises them a bit higher too. If you don't mind any of that they do everything you want.
PCP

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garmin in 800. Around 100 on eBay
stenard

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jibberjim wrote:
stenard wrote:

Course you are, Garmin 705's can be picked up cheaper than that and tick all the boxes.

Fair point. No experience of the 705 so didnt spring to mind. Ebay does seem to imply it can be had for cheap. From what I can see it doesnt have the more detailed power metrics however (NP, IF, TSS, etc), which is what got me to upgrade to the 500 at the point I acquired power.

The 800 that other people mention was one I thought about, but all the ones available I've seen are a bit above the stated budget. I just double checked ebay on that front and there's one below 100 at the moment, but it is a vanilla auction so could well jump up at the end.

But yes, I retract, with a bit of scouring about, an 800 would give a pretty modern option that can probably be obtained for c100.
SwimsLikeAWalrus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got an 810 from Aldi a month ago. 140 and loaded the maps for free. Could still be one about. Doesn't have the speed/ cadence sensor though.

My 310XT has the breadcrumb and we got very lost on the Bolton course with it Smile
jibberjim

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:
jibberjim wrote:
stenard wrote:

Fair point. No experience of the 705 so didnt spring to mind. Ebay does seem to imply it can be had for cheap. From what I can see it doesnt have the more detailed power metrics however (NP, IF, TSS, etc), which is what got me to upgrade to the 500 at the point I acquired power.

I would go further to say that's a good thing, the metrics are artificial, in that you can inflate them in ways which are not about training (TSS can be inflated simply by leaving the garmin running rather than stopping it for example) So it's good not to have these things while you're out training to stop you gaming it.

At least if you're gaming average power, you're having to actually turn the pedals!

Despite having loads of garmins in the house (705, 500, 520, 800, 910 all doing power) I exclusively use the 705.
holster

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all. I may have been a little misleading on the maps front - I meant the ability to upload a route and then be told when a turn was approaching - appreciate I could do that with the 910xt, but limited screen size for me. Also concerned about the 910 battery lasting for my expected 12 hour Ironman...really love the 910xt for running...

The 705 looks like a great option and like many of you have said, there are a few Buy it Now on eBay for 70 to 80.
stenard

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jibberjim wrote:
stenard wrote:
jibberjim wrote:
stenard wrote:

I would go further to say that's a good thing, the metrics are artificial, in that you can inflate them in ways which are not about training (TSS can be inflated simply by leaving the garmin running rather than stopping it for example) So it's good not to have these things while you're out training to stop you gaming it.

At least if you're gaming average power, you're having to actually turn the pedals!

Despite having loads of garmins in the house (705, 500, 520, 800, 910 all doing power) I exclusively use the 705.

Agreed on TSS. But NP and IF are key metrics for me. Admittedly with IF you could work it out in your own head if you have NP, but for HIM upwards, I think NP is actually one of the most important numbers.
stenard

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

holster wrote:
Also concerned about the 910 battery lasting for my expected 12 hour Ironman...

That shouldn't be a concern. The 910xt is designed to last for an IM and has an expected battery life towards the 20hr mark.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: