Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Engineering Jobs Abu Dhabi

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kernowchris

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:16 pm    Post subject: Engineering Jobs Abu Dhabi Reply with quote

Hi

I was wondering if someone can help. My wife has received an offer of a teaching role. Everything looks good but really the final decision will depend on my ability to find work. I am currently employed as an aircraft mechanical fitter working on helicopters. Does anyone know if work like that is common over there? I can find a few jobs but not enough to give me great confidence. Also does anyone know of any good recruitment agencies that may be able to point me in the right direction.

Cheers
Cotswold Classic August 5 hr 08
10 mile TT Pb 27.01
Cotswold Classic
Dartmoor Classic Silver
Cotswold 113 sub 5?
Gus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a starter, check Linked In jobs, there's usually literally thousands for the UAE.

I'm sure someone will come along who lives there with better advice, but I was there very regularly up until last year with work (Oil & Gas) but I know the UAE has been hammered quite badly by the downturn - I assume helicopters will be significantly linked to O&G.

FWIW, I love the UAE and have considered emigrating myself. I do notice a lot of love it/hate it polarisation of people's opinions of the UAE but I have always definitely loved being there and working there.

Oh and just edited to add: I did, unfortunately know two very good recruiters in Dubai (who cover all UAE) but they both closed down and left last year with the downturn. Unfortunately that may be a little indicative of how things are at the moment... Crying or Very sad

My 15 minutes of fame
Kernowchris

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Thanks for your reply.

Good shout on LinkedIn, a few items of interest on there. Also found indeed to be great. Lots on there. What I can't understand is the downturn hasn't really stopped building work. My wife's prospective school is brand new, guess they just continue while the oil is there. Plus the aim to be a tourist destination must be driving things forward.

I have experience of Oman and enjoyed my times there. Anyone shipped a bike there? Smile
10 mile TT Pb 27.01
Cotswold Classic
Dartmoor Classic Silver
Cotswold 113 sub 5?
FoulOleRon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi KC,

I shipped my bike over to Dubai with furniture when we went over a few years back. We didn't have enough to fill a container, so had to share, which added some time in to the process.

Some of the airlines will allow you to take them in hold in addition to luggage (think Virgin still do), but Emirates (I believe) now charge extra.

Happy hunting!
GrahamO

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Abu Dhabi after years of living in Dubai. I find it much quieter than Dubai which suits us as we can always pop into Dubai if there is something we need. The only downside is the cycle track at Al Wathba in AD isn't as good or as long as Al Qudra although there are actually hills here. And we have the F1 track open 2 nights a week (3 for the ladies) which is a really good workout for speed.

Emirates still carry bike boxes for free within your luggage allowance - standard 30kg in the hold but a box will take 20kg of that so personally I would leave the bike at home. When you go to Al Qudra you can hire carbon bikes there for a couple of quid an hour so it's not worth using your luggage allowance up for that.

The thing to check first is what your wife will get as accommodation - allowance or a room in a dorm as the latter means you are out and cannot stay in the same place as her until you have your own place, and when you do, they may not pay anything towards it.

Rotary maintenance techs with good military background are always in demand but tbh don't waste your time here with any recruiters - they are all completely sh*t. Just apply to AMMROC or the like - turnover is high and there are always vacancies as they all have a habit of ditching people and then realising a month later that no aircraft are flying because they sacked everyone to save money. A certain military org just did exactly that - got rid of all their flight training staff and found nobody was trained on the new aircraft that just arrived.

PM me if you want more but I am on hols this week so it might be a bit slow in response.
Gus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I flew my bike to Bahrain 18 months ago in its box, when doing Challenge Bahrain. IIRC correctly I flew KLM and it cost me 50 each-way extra for the bike. This didn't impinge at all on my normal baggage allowance - it was allowed as an 'extra', so I stuffed quite a bit of extra stuff in the bike-box.

I think most of the other airlines (BA for example) charged around the same, or a little more in some cases. The cost to AD will be the same, I'm sure.

[Incidentally, they lost my bike, but it did turn up a couple of days later, and it was still ok Rolling Eyes ]

My 15 minutes of fame
Kernowchris

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FoulOleRon wrote:
Hi KC,

I shipped my bike over to Dubai with furniture when we went over a few years back. We didn't have enough to fill a container, so had to share, which added some time in to the process.

Some of the airlines will allow you to take them in hold in addition to luggage (think Virgin still do), but Emirates (I believe) now charge extra.

Happy hunting!

Cheers Ron, yeah that might be a good shout. Send it over in a container if the opportunity presents itself. Looked at shipping a bike and may as well sell mine and buy one over there!
10 mile TT Pb 27.01
Cotswold Classic
Dartmoor Classic Silver
Cotswold 113 sub 5?
Kernowchris

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrahamO wrote:
I live in Abu Dhabi after years of living in Dubai. I find it much quieter than Dubai which suits us as we can always pop into Dubai if there is something we need. The only downside is the cycle track at Al Wathba in AD isn't as good or as long as Al Qudra although there are actually hills here. And we have the F1 track open 2 nights a week (3 for the ladies) which is a really good workout for speed.

Emirates still carry bike boxes for free within your luggage allowance - standard 30kg in the hold but a box will take 20kg of that so personally I would leave the bike at home. When you go to Al Qudra you can hire carbon bikes there for a couple of quid an hour so it's not worth using your luggage allowance up for that.

The thing to check first is what your wife will get as accommodation - allowance or a room in a dorm as the latter means you are out and cannot stay in the same place as her until you have your own place, and when you do, they may not pay anything towards it.

Rotary maintenance techs with good military background are always in demand but tbh don't waste your time here with any recruiters - they are all completely sh*t. Just apply to AMMROC or the like - turnover is high and there are always vacancies as they all have a habit of ditching people and then realising a month later that no aircraft are flying because they sacked everyone to save money. A certain military org just did exactly that - got rid of all their flight training staff and found nobody was trained on the new aircraft that just arrived.

PM me if you want more but I am on hols this week so it might be a bit slow in response.

Hi Graham

Cheers for the detailed response, all very helpful!

Riding round the Yas circuit is definitely something I am looking forward to. Pity the roads are so dodgy! Perhaps I will see you there.

Wife's package includes a decent enough housing allowance for a 3 bed house, would ideally like to secure work before I arrive but we shall see. Looks to me like I will need to be there for anyone to take me seriously, but then you never know I guess.

Will register my interest with AMMROC, I have found quite a few MRO places as you say so hopefully I will get a foot in the door. Quite exciting!

Think I may get a bike when I get out there, would you recommend that or is it slim pickings??

Cheers mate
10 mile TT Pb 27.01
Cotswold Classic
Dartmoor Classic Silver
Cotswold 113 sub 5?
Kernowchris

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gus wrote:
I flew my bike to Bahrain 18 months ago in its box, when doing Challenge Bahrain. IIRC correctly I flew KLM and it cost me 50 each-way extra for the bike. This didn't impinge at all on my normal baggage allowance - it was allowed as an 'extra', so I stuffed quite a bit of extra stuff in the bike-box.

I think most of the other airlines (BA for example) charged around the same, or a little more in some cases. The cost to AD will be the same, I'm sure.

[Incidentally, they lost my bike, but it did turn up a couple of days later, and it was still ok Rolling Eyes ]

Cheers Gus, will look into that.
10 mile TT Pb 27.01
Cotswold Classic
Dartmoor Classic Silver
Cotswold 113 sub 5?
GrahamO

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never buy a new bike out here - waaaaay overpriced due to the high level of disposable income.

You might get something on Dubizzle with all the folks leaving.

And you are right - you have to be here to get treated seriously.

PM sent.
FoulOleRon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not been there for a couple of years now. Wolfi's in Dubai is the biggest bike shop I can think of there, and they were indeed massively overpriced as Graham has said. There was another shop near Mall of the Emirates call Probike who were better priced, and the services were pretty reasonable as well - apparently you can pick up a bit of sand in the moving parts.

It would probably still work out cheaper to buy here and ship over, even if there is a charge, and the choice will also be better.
Kernowchris

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FoulOleRon wrote:
I've not been there for a couple of years now. Wolfi's in Dubai is the biggest bike shop I can think of there, and they were indeed massively overpriced as Graham has said. There was another shop near Mall of the Emirates call Probike who were better priced, and the services were pretty reasonable as well - apparently you can pick up a bit of sand in the moving parts.

It would probably still work out cheaper to buy here and ship over, even if there is a charge, and the choice will also be better.

Yeah sounds like a plan. Or Dubizzle as Graham says. Seen a few bargains on there!
10 mile TT Pb 27.01
Cotswold Classic
Dartmoor Classic Silver
Cotswold 113 sub 5?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Off-Topic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: