Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Swimming lessons
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roscoemck

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:43 pm    Post subject: Swimming lessons Reply with quote

Hi,

New here so be gentle!

I'm doing my first sprint in May, only problem is, I cannot freestyle swim and my breaststroke is woeful.

There's swimming lessons done at my gym. They're 25 each, booked in a block of 4. Any idea if this is reasonable value? Would 4 be enough? When I say I can't freestyle, I mean it!

Cheers
Ross
explorerJC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Swimming lessons Reply with quote

Roscoemck wrote:
Hi,

New here so be gentle!

I'm doing my first sprint in May, only problem is, I cannot freestyle swim and my breaststroke is woeful.

There's swimming lessons done at my gym. They're 25 each, booked in a block of 4. Any idea if this is reasonable value? Would 4 be enough? When I say I can't freestyle, I mean it!

Cheers
Ross

it may or may not be good value depending on how good the coach is, how long they are and how much you have to learn. This is another occasion that I would recommend joining a good tri club and getting regular and consistent support from a good set of coaches. If this isn't practical, then any guidance could be useful.

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Tony Stark

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think one thing can be guaranteed: You won't be going from zero to freestyle hero in 4 lessons.
TriSam

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more you put in (time and unfortunately) the more you'll find you get out. It's best to try and crack your technique as early as possible, the winter is a perfect time!

I wonder how long each of the sessions is, 4 for 25 seems cheap.
tommy060289

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

didn't he say 25 each booked in blocks 4...so 100.

Don't know if you have anything similar in your area but my club (Bassetlaw Tri) regularly runs a beginner to free style course which is a 6 week course, 6 lessons to take someone being able to swim a couple length breaststroke to swim freestyle to at least complete a sprint tri.

Don't remember the price of the course but something like 30-40 maybe?
iwaters

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony Stark wrote:
I think one thing can be guaranteed: You won't be going from zero to freestyle hero in 4 lessons.

I have had a few 1-2-1 clinics with my tri coach. They are 1 hour each and cost 40. My first one I couldn't do more than 2 lengths without stopping.

At my 4th I did 6:25 400m.

At 6'5'' with a 6'8'' arm span I a built for swimming but with a good coach you can make good progress.

Swimming is all about technique when you are starting out and small tweaks can make all the difference.

I would suggest the ones the OP are talking about probably wont be much cop.
Doca

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iwaters wrote:
Tony Stark wrote:

I have had a few 1-2-1 clinics with my tri coach. They are 1 hour each and cost 40. My first one I couldn't do more than 2 lengths without stopping.

At my 4th I did 6:25 400m.

At 6'5'' with a 6'8'' arm span I a built for swimming but with a good coach you can make good progress.

Swimming is all about technique when you are starting out and small tweaks can make all the difference.

I would suggest the ones the OP are talking about probably wont be much cop.

That is some progress! I've been swimming for a couple of years, had lessons and still cant do a 6:25 400m.
Roscoemck

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for replies everyone.

Got lessons booked in from a week on Saturday for 4 weeks.

Realistically, just want to learn to freestyle properly, not expecting to be Michael Phelps in 4 weeks!

It's 121 instruction, 25 per lesson.
Tahr

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Swimming lessons Reply with quote

Roscoemck wrote:
Hi,

New here so be gentle!

Cheers
Ross

Shame you are not a bit further south, my club has a beginner session every Monday night for people just like you, it is based in Annan. Cost is about 4.50, with a level 2 coach working with abound 6 swimmers.

ATB

Tahr

Fitness forged in the furnace of competition.
Roscoemck

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First lesson booked for Saturday, new Zoggs shorts purchased, new goggles purchased. Nervous? Me? Hell yeah!

Tried out the goggles at the pool last night, very impressed. Now actually able to put my head under the water without fear.

Managed 795 metres breaststroke, very slow, 26 minutes. Breathing was the number one issue with me putting my head under.

Can't wait to start learning freestyle.
TriSam

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep us updated with your progress, good luck!
Tahr

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roscoemck wrote:
First lesson booked for Saturday, new Zoggs shorts purchased, new goggles purchased. Nervous? Me? Hell yeah!

Tried out the goggles at the pool last night, very impressed. Now actually able to put my head under the water without fear.

Managed 795 metres breaststroke, very slow, 26 minutes. Breathing was the number one issue with me putting my head under.

Can't wait to start learning freestyle.

Best of luck, when I started FC, I made myself only swim FC, it was too easy when swimming on my own to just drop in a couple of length of BS, so I made a pack in my head FC or nothing, worked for me, I am not a fast swimmer but don't have to worry about cut offs or being last.Smile

ATB

Tahr

Fitness forged in the furnace of competition.
Roscoemck

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morning all!

First swim lesson was on Saturday afternoon. It went really well, I enjoyed it and took loads away from it.

Going to go to the pool at least twice if not 3 times this week for some practice before my next lesson this Saturday.

Got to practice kicking using a kick board, combined with getting the breathing right.
Roscoemck

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just back from the pool, a bit rushed as the wife needed the car for work so only 35 minutes practice.

Jeez it's tough trying to put this all together! I'm basically using a kick board, concentrating on using legs only and attempting to get breathing sorted at the same time. At times it felt like I wasn't moving at all. Then I was moving and forgetting to breathe!

Managed ok, can't wait to start using arms as well! When I look back, I've had one lesson, one practice on my own tonight. I did it and resisted the temptation to give up.

Feel like I've made progress as a week ago I couldn't have done this at all.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roscoemck wrote:
Just back from the pool, a bit rushed as the wife needed the car for work so only 35 minutes practice.

Jeez it's tough trying to put this all together! I'm basically using a kick board, concentrating on using legs only and attempting to get breathing sorted at the same time. At times it felt like I wasn't moving at all. Then I was moving and forgetting to breathe!

Managed ok, can't wait to start using arms as well! When I look back, I've had one lesson, one practice on my own tonight. I did it and resisted the temptation to give up.

Feel like I've made progress as a week ago I couldn't have done this at all.

Well done for cracking on despite time restrictions...

How can you use a kick board and get breathing sorted? What are you trying to do?

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: