Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Swimming lessons
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roscoemck

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The instructor has me holding the kickboard as far out in front as I can, using only the legs. Head is face down and turning to the right to breathe.

Next lesson is starting to use the arms to stroke while incorporating kicking and breathing.
Roscoemck

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He also had me using 2 kickboards for a while on Saturday, one for each hand, concentrating on breathing and kicking.

I may not be describing this very well. What he's got me doing makes sense and I can see where it's going.
hammerer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done. I am not sure i understand the reason for the breathing as a breath should not be part of a head movement but a whole body movement, much like you are on a skewer. He must have his reasons so far be it from me to intervene without being poolside. I like that hes getting you to do kicking. Most triathletes seem to think they don't need to kick but its a vital part of aiding balance, body position and even timing to an efficient freestyle stroke
explorerJC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

obviously i can't see you swim, and do not know the instructor's intentions...

...but i would question the value of trying to breathe when flat in the water; that's a long way for your head to turn...it's far easier to breathe on rotation...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
explorerJC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hammerer wrote:
Well done. I am not sure i understand the reason for the breathing as a breath should not be part of a head movement but a whole body movement, much like you are on a skewer. He must have his reasons so far be it from me to intervene without being poolside. I like that hes getting you to do kicking. Most triathletes seem to think they don't need to kick but its a vital part of aiding balance, body position and even timing to an efficient freestyle stroke

yep, but again, kicking with a kick board gives a false body position...far better to get balance in the water first....

hammerer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
hammerer wrote:

yep, but again, kicking with a kick board gives a false body position...far better to get balance in the water first....

It can but its a great way to build kick mechanics and kick efficiency. Swimmers do miles and miles with a board, and correctly used (held at full arms length) they have there uses and dotn affect BP too much. BUT like everything should be used as a small part of a bigger picture, torpedo kicks, drills like 616 and single arm all help with kick and my favourite more advanced drill 0-arms
explorerJC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hammerer wrote:
explorerJC wrote:
hammerer wrote:

It can but its a great way to build kick mechanics and kick efficiency. Swimmers do miles and miles with a board, and correctly used (held at full arms length) they have there uses and dotn affect BP too much. BUT like everything should be used as a small part of a bigger picture, torpedo kicks, drills like 616 and single arm all help with kick and my favourite more advanced drill 0-arms

i wouldn't dispute that...but these are swimmers..once you have balance and position then breathing is easier. once you have balance, positioning & breathing, kicking is easier...

Roscoemck

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That explains why I'm finding the breathing part tricky, no body rotation!

I assume that'll be part of the next lesson. I was actually really tempted to try and start using arms last night, but I thought I'd take my time and follow the instruction.
Roscoemck

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pool again tonight to practice what I learned on Saturday.

First 5/10 minutes, couldn't get it at all, was ready to chuck it.

Calmed myself right and took it slowly, much better. By the end of my session I felt I had it altogether and am hopefully ready to move on to the next stage at Saturday's lesson. Much more confident breathing towards the end and wasn't overthinking things.

Still using the kick board tonight while getting breathing right too.
Roscoemck

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Second lesson done yesterday, lots more learned and starting to come together. More drills with the kick board, lots of one arm stuff, learning to breathe By dropping one arm, breathing from that side then bringing it over onto the board. Can see how I should do it when I start using both arms as well as kicking!

Instructor has given me a few drills to work on this week before next weeks lesson. Lots of breathing and kicking involved.

Getting there!
Roscoemck

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another practice session at the pool last night, working on the drills from Saturday's lesson.

Felt much better once I got into it and seeing definite progress.

Can't wait to actually start using the arms instead of the kickboard!
explorerJC

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good effort....

TriSam

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting to hear how you're coming along and working from the very bottom (breathing) up.

When's the next lesson?
Roscoemck

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TriSam wrote:
Interesting to hear how you're coming along and working from the very bottom (breathing) up.

When's the next lesson?

Next lesson is on Saturday. I'll be back in the pool tomorrow night for some practice.

Looking forward to getting the arms into play. Not being able to rotate the body means I'm lifting my head (even though I'm breathing to the side) and this means my bottom half is sinking a bit on breathing.

I believe when you use the arms as well, this creates a bit of a wake in front of the head and means not having to lift the head out, just rotate.
TriSam

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup you should sense a small bow wave created in line with your face. It's a tricky one for beginners, as this bow wave is larger for those who swim faster, so beginners often find the wave doesn't give a large enough gap in the water to breathe.

Hopefully the rotational breathing sorts out the sinking legs, but they should also be a bit higher in the water with the increased swimming speed that arm movement allows you to obtain.

It seems like you're putting the effort and research in, so I'm sure you'll progress quickly once the arms get involved!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: