Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Argon E-118
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stenard

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tin Pot wrote:
I tried talking to my fitter and I can pay £200 for a bike fit before buying (on my existing bike).

That's not really a "fit" to establish what your ideal TT bike actually is. I was presuming eJC was thinking more something like the bike rigs that exist, where they get you in the best position for you, give you the measurements, and then either you or they recommend frames that can offer that setup.

Something like this: https://www.retul.com/retul-products/retul-muve-fit-bike/

Had I bought a brand new TT frame, rather than getting a second hand bargain, I was going to have gone down that route. It might seem like paying "double", but its stopping you wasting potentially a large amount of money on a frame that isnt going to suit you.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:
Tin Pot wrote:
I tried talking to my fitter and I can pay £200 for a bike fit before buying (on my existing bike).

That's not really a "fit" to establish what your ideal TT bike actually is. I was presuming eJC was thinking more something like the bike rigs that exist, where they get you in the best position for you, give you the measurements, and then either you or they recommend frames that can offer that setup.

Had I bought a brand new TT frame, rather than getting a second hand bargain, I was going to have gone down that route. It might seem like paying "double", but its stopping you wasting potentially a large amount of money on a frame that isnt going to suit you.

yep...my friendly local Retul fitter is very good with his recommendations...will save money in the long run...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The OP needs to be very careful, or you're going to end-up with a very expensive dog's breakfast on the 118. Having seen you on your current bike, you need to be very selective about what frameset/size is going to work, and not have you in a 'sit-up-and-beg' position.
Tin Pot

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:
Tin Pot wrote:

Looks like I'd need to find another Retül fitter then as there's no mention of a rig at Cadence.

I'm trying to get there for a check up on my roadie and see if a more aggressive position is suitable for me now. Will talk to them in more detail face to face - frustrating that email and phone are such difficult mediums for them in this day and age Smile

Until then any recommendations for a place near SE London with a muve or similar rig? I'm pretty flexible while but it's useful to have a place I can revisit easily when I'm busy again. Sigma I can get to now, although at £300 I'm hoping there are cheaper options further out..!
Sprint '16 1h17, '14 1h40, '13 2h01
Half Mara '16 2h04, '14 2h07
10 Mile TT '16 00:26:30
Trail 10K '16 54:01 '13 54:46
Whisk

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tin Pot wrote:
Until then any recommendations for a place near SE London with a muve or similar rig? I'm pretty flexible while but it's useful to have a place I can revisit easily when I'm busy again. Sigma I can get to now, although at £300 I'm hoping there are cheaper options further out..!

Pearson Cycles in Sutton or Sheen do bike fitting with a fitting jig.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whisk wrote:
Tin Pot wrote:

Bile you, Pearson Cycles....used to ride with them when I was young....

Whisk

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
Whisk wrote:
Tin Pot wrote:

I'm good friends with Guy and William Pearson and I've ridden with them lots over the last 10 years or so and spent way too much on bikes from their shop Wink Maybe not the cheapest, but they're a good, family owned LBS offering the sort of service that you'd never get on the internet.
chickenboy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard Melik at Freespeed in Teddington is also a top fella who knows his stuff, with quite an emphasis on getting you comfortable on a TT bike so you can run afterwards, rather having you in the most aero contorted position. I bought my TT bike after his Retul assessment and its super comfortable. £200

www.freespeed.co.uk
explorerJC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whisk wrote:
explorerJC wrote:
Whisk wrote:
Tin Pot wrote:

I'm good friends with Guy and William Pearson and I've ridden with them lots over the last 10 years or so and spent way too much on bikes from their shop Wink Maybe not the cheapest, but they're a good, family owned LBS offering the sort of service that you'd never get on the internet.

Bl00dy autocorrect....*blimey

They must be the sons...Roger (?) rode trials which my father had also done

explorerJC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
Whisk wrote:
explorerJC wrote:
Whisk wrote:
Tin Pot wrote:

Bl00dy autocorrect....*blimey

They must be the sons...Roger (?) rode trials which my father had also done

I should add that they were an 'honest' shop...you would take your bike if you had a problem....buy you wouldn't get your moped MOT'd there...

Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tin Pot - do you have a(n ideal) pad Stack & Reach from a former fit? If so, this is all you really need with a lot of modern framesets - the manufacturer then has a table to tell what frame size and accoutrements you need to fit.
TriSam

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Playing Devil's advocate here, but don't feel you necessarily need to get a bike fit and stick rigidly to everything they told you. I've never had a fitting or sizing, but with a bit of research and some common sense, anyone can come to a good position on most frames.

I've arrived at a comfy and fairly aero position on a bike that I've never had fitted to me, pre- or post-sale.

Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice curtains.
TriSam

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well fashionable, me Very Happy
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TriSam wrote:
Playing Devil's advocate here, but don't feel you necessarily need to get a bike fit and stick rigidly to everything they told you.

I would kind of agree. I started with a PX Stealth, which to be fair I was sized for at the German importers; but after that I just bought another frame based on a similar stack/reach (an E-112). I did get a Retül on that Argon after a couple of years, but they didn't change much at all. So then I bought my existing Trek SC7 again based on this geometry. However, if you look at Tin Pot's position on his current road bike, he is a long way off being able base his decisions on how he's currently set-up (Google search has a glitch my end when I tried to find his road bike thread).

But if you have a Pad Stack/Reach nowadays, then you are able to make informed decisions without subsequent fits.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: