Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Argon E-118
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrace

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the 118 have the same problems as the 116? I friend of mine mentioned he had to basically take the headset apart to change brake pads.

I assume you are looking at the 118 because they are selling out and you can get the frameset cheap? Otherwise the 117/119 tri versions look interesting for sure.
Whisk

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
Whisk wrote:
explorerJC wrote:
Whisk wrote:
Tin Pot wrote:
Until then any recommendations for a place near SE London with a muve or similar rig? I'm pretty flexible while but it's useful to have a place I can revisit easily when I'm busy again. Sigma I can get to now, although at 300 I'm hoping there are cheaper options further out..!

Pearson Cycles in Sutton or Sheen do bike fitting with a fitting jig.

Bile you, Pearson Cycles....used to ride with them when I was young....

I'm good friends with Guy and William Pearson and I've ridden with them lots over the last 10 years or so and spent way too much on bikes from their shop Wink Maybe not the cheapest, but they're a good, family owned LBS offering the sort of service that you'd never get on the internet.

Bl00dy autocorrect....*blimey

They must be the sons...Roger (?) rode trials which my father had also done

Sadly, Roger died of cancer quite young and his sons have been running the shop for the last 20-odd years. Their Sutton shop is in the Guinness Book of Records as the oldest bike shop in the world.
beddows_s

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrace wrote:
Does the 118 have the same problems as the 116? I friend of mine mentioned he had to basically take the headset apart to change brake pads.

I assume you are looking at the 118 because they are selling out and you can get the frameset cheap? Otherwise the 117/119 tri versions look interesting for sure.

I have the 2012 118 and there is no requirement to take the headset apart to change out the pads. From memory it helps to release the brake cable to help get better access. The rear can be a pain because the chainset blocks the bolts but with the rounded end hex's you can just about manage.

I really like the bike and have used it from Cotswold 113 (flat) to the Half Brutal (Snowdon enough said) plus a north to south wales charity ride. The only issue i have with the bike is the braking. You are limited to the integrated TRP brakes and they're not particularly confidence inspiring. I've tinkered with the brakes for too many hours and still don't feel its quite right - very reliant on having just the right length cable length.

Oh one last thing you have to get used to having the brake levers on the european side to work with the nodule on the front brake.
Snowdon Marathon
Cotswold 113
Brecon Man
Big Woody
Tin Pot

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
Tin Pot - do you have a(n ideal) pad Stack & Reach from a former fit? If so, this is all you really need with a lot of modern framesets - the manufacturer then has a table to tell what frame size and accoutrements you need to fit.

Thanks for everyone's input - I managed to get a session on weds for he follow up on my roadie and we ended up using it to get a rough pad stack/reach using my road bike and a variety of seat post, saddles and bar positions.

I have got the formal email through yet but I've been looking about and my reach figure seems to be smaller than anything available at 318, though stack is normal at 620-650. My back is quite curved, and seems comfortable but I wouldn't describe it as an aggressive position, as I though a flat back was the desired outcome.
Sprint '16 1h17, '14 1h40, '13 2h01
Half Mara '16 2h04, '14 2h07
10 Mile TT '16 00:26:30
Trail 10K '16 54:01 '13 54:46
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tin Pot wrote:

I have got the formal email through yet but I've been looking about and my reach figure seems to be smaller than anything available at 318, though stack is normal at 620-650. My back is quite curved, and seems comfortable but I wouldn't describe it as an aggressive position, as I though a flat back was the desired outcome.

This was done on your road bike yes? That is (sorry) a really bad position you have on that bike, which is borne out by those stack/reach figures. You basically have the same stack as a tall person on a Large frame, but a miniscule reach in comparison, which leads to that 'sit-up-and-beg' position that's better suited to shopping bike than a TT frame. My pad stack is 635, and yet the pad reach (to centre) is 470! I'm 6' and ride a Large Speed Concept.

You really need to exercise caution; visit a store that has either a Jig, or a small TT frame that you can try for size. You might find that a female specific frame will fit you best. Buy in haste, repent as leisure.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this still a fair representation of how you're set-up?

Tin Pot wrote:

hammerer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im more aero on a mountain bike. That looks really uncomfortable as well
Mungo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How can you get fitted for a tt bike on a road bike?
Seat post angles, saddle, the whole front end etc are totally different.

After my recent fit on my tt bike, I moved the saddle height but left everythibg else on my roadie as it does a different job.

The guy in the picture looks squashed up, I realise we cant all be Tony Martin but im sure a decent experienced fitter could improve your position.
Tin Pot

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
Is this still a fair representation of how you're set-up

No and my old setup isn't really relevant to the conversation - at least I don't think so. That's an old attempt at self fitting, I used a different set up at IMUK, and I'm starting from scratch now.

Pearson don't seem to be in circulation anymore, I'm looking at sigmasports and a couple of places I've not heard of around Kent for a set up on a jig this week.
Tin Pot

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mungo wrote:
How can you get fitted for a tt bike on a road bike?
Seat post angles, saddle, the whole front end etc are totally different.

After my recent fit on my tt bike, I moved the saddle height but left everythibg else on my roadie as it does a different job.

The guy in the picture looks squashed up, I realise we cant all be Tony Martin but im sure a decent experienced fitter could improve your position.

The picture is completely irrelevant to this thread, and has nothing to do with what happened last week.

The idea was to get a pad stack/reach rough idea so I could buy a frameset that suits, then build the bike, then do the full fit later.
Whisk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tin Pot wrote:

Pearson don't seem to be in circulation anymore, I'm looking at sigmasports and a couple of places I've not heard of around Kent for a set up on a jig this week.

Pearsons are still very much in business - http://www.pearsoncycles.co.uk/bike-fitting/

Their Sutton shop is on Sutton High Street and has been for the last 157 years.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tin Pot wrote:
Jorgan wrote:

No and my old setup isn't really relevant to the conversation - at least I don't think so. That's an old attempt at self fitting, I used a different set up at IMUK, and I'm starting from scratch now.

Pearson aren't in circulation?

That's odd...after the chat above, i googled them...they look as though their circulation is working to me...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Whisk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
Tin Pot wrote:
Jorgan wrote:

Pearson aren't in circulation?

That's odd...after the chat above, i googled them...they look as though their circulation is working to me...

Yep, I was in their Sheen shop at the weekend, chatting to one of the owners, who was about to head over to the Sutton shop Wink
Jorgan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tin Pot wrote:

So the 640-70mm Stack (big range) & 318mm Reach is also irrelevant now? Because that's a very unusual set of figures i.e. extremely tall & narrow in ST speak.
Tin Pot

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
Tin Pot wrote:

So the 640-70mm Stack (big range) & 318mm Reach is also irrelevant now? Because that's a very unusual set of figures i.e. extremely tall & narrow in ST speak.

Ha ha, I don't know how we have become so mixed up on this thread - the photo you linked and the bike I raced on last year have nothing to do with the figures I got from a brief session last week to determine a pad stack/reach range in order to purchase a frameset.

I also agree the figures given to me by the fitter are unusual.

Have we cleared that up now?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: