Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Bike & Equipment Rationalisation.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JaRok2300

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:05 am    Post subject: Bike & Equipment Rationalisation. Reply with quote

I'm looking to rationalise my current bikes/wheels etc. to give more options and swappability between bikes as I'm currently a bit stuck in a Campag/SRAM/Shimano Triangle.

Current Equipment.
Van Nicholas Euros - 10sp Campag and Mavic Ksyrium wheels
Carrerra Virago TT - 10sp SRAM with Alex wheels
HED 40/60 - 10sp Shimano/SRAM hub
Fulcrum5s - 10sp Campag Hub
Litespeed Blade - 2003 Frame only.

The Van Nicholas is probably due an overhaul so thinking this might be my opportunity to get everything a bit more compatible whilst not spending too much money.

My current thinking is to replace the groupset on VN with Tiagra or 105 Shimano and freehub on Fulcrums with Shimano one.
This would mean I had 3 sets of wheels from very basic training wheel to deep section that would fit both bikes although none of the other components would be interchangeable. Overall cost @300.
A longer term plan is to pillage the Carrera for parts to build the Blade which although older is my dream bike.

Just wondering if those more experienced in this kind of thing can see a flaw in my plan or a batter way of achieving the same end.
tommy060289

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are all 10 speed so cant you just use at the wheels regardless? I thought spacing on Shimano/SRAM at least was same for 10 speed and even campy?
jibberjim

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tommy060289 wrote:
They are all 10 speed so cant you just use at the wheels regardless? I thought spacing on Shimano/SRAM at least was same for 10 speed and even campy?

No, that's 11 speed, although going non-indexed on the TT shifters would also solve it and allow you to mix the wheels.

Why would you rationalise now, why not simply build up the blade if that's your aim?

But without the blade, the change is probably the sensible one, or survive until you go 11 speed everywhere.
JaRok2300

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My worry about 11 speed is that I would have to change everything and then what happens if discs start taking over, through axles, QR's, it seems there's still a fair bit of uncertainty to settle down.

This is a kind of halfway house that should last me a few more years as long as 10sp spares are available without too much cost.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaRok2300 wrote:
My worry about 11 speed is that I would have to change everything and then what happens if discs start taking over, through axles, QR's, it seems there's still a fair bit of uncertainty to settle down.

This is a kind of halfway house that should last me a few more years as long as 10sp spares are available without too much cost.

why would discs take over?

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
JaRok2300

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may have been spending too much time on ST where they get very excited about discs to say the least!

It just feels like the next big thing that the manufacturers are pushing onto road bikes and TT bikes regardless of whether they are wanted or not.

I don't envisage a situation anytime remotely soon where non-disc wheels cease to be available but kind of hedging my bets to see how the cards fall and then maybe become a late adopter when technology filters down to lower levels and/or 2nd hand.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaRok2300 wrote:
I may have been spending too much time on ST where they get very excited about discs to say the least!

It just feels like the next big thing that the manufacturers are pushing onto road bikes and TT bikes regardless of whether they are wanted or not.

I don't envisage a situation anytime remotely soon where non-disc wheels cease to be available but kind of hedging my bets to see how the cards fall and then maybe become a late adopter when technology filters down to lower levels and/or 2nd hand.

but why would that affect what you do with your rationalisation?

JaRok2300

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In an ideal world I'd go 11 speed on both bikes as that's the current standard but it would mean more than double the expense and still might be superseded fairly quickly if discs become the norm.

I know that doesn't necessarily mean I would have to change to discs if that happened, especially as that would mean new frames and everything, but if discs do prove to be a significant improvement I might want to change which would be a very expensive proposition.

The change I'm considering would not cost a huge amount, retain most of what I already have and wouldn't be the end of the world if I changed again in the future.

Not sure if that makes sense to anyone but me or whether I'm going round in circles in my own head. Just wanted to make sure there wasn't an obvious problem or solution I'd missed.
Chrace

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sell the 10sp Campag groupset - 100 (150)?
Sell the Mavic Ksyrium wheels - 100?
Sell the Fulcrum 5's - 50?

Buy 2nd hand 10sp 105 - 150.
Buy 2nd hand training wheels - 150?

Changeover cost 50 quid (possibly zero). Prices are fairly conservative, you might do better.

The 10% fee on eBay will mess up your selling calculations btw, use forums/gumtree/facebook groups etc.
doug

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it unbelievable that nobody has yet mentioned the obvious solution
You need another bike Very Happy
explorerJC

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doug wrote:
I find it unbelievable that nobody has yet mentioned the obvious solution
You need another bike Very Happy

with or without discs????

or both?

JaRok2300

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mountain bike has discs and I have a Brompton for work but I am very much at the S-1 stage when it comes to number of bikes.
Extra bikes may result in waking up without parts of my anatomy I'd rather keep.
Cat5 in the Hat

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't get too hung up about 11speed.

There are converter cassettes available and a guy on TTF will happily mill a the back of an 11speed cassette to go on a 10seed freehub. You'll possibly find that some of your wheels can be upgraded to 11speed simply.

Discs will be there if you want them, or not.

Road disc wheels and frames will end up with through-axles across the board, so I think the disc discussion is kinda moot.

All my kit is 10spd apart from a 9spd MTB and an 11spd CX (with discs).
kevb

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Bike & Equipment Rationalisation. Reply with quote

JaRok2300 wrote:

Current Equipment.
Van Nicholas Euros - 10sp Campag and Mavic Ksyrium wheels
Carrerra Virago TT - 10sp SRAM with Alex wheels
HED 40/60 - 10sp Shimano/SRAM hub
Fulcrum5s - 10sp Campag Hub
Litespeed Blade - 2003 Frame only.

It also comes down to which shifters you prefer; campag or Shimano?

Presuming an overhaul to all Shimano;
- sell the groupset off the VN, you can swap the freehub body on the mavic wheels for about 30
- shopping around on ebay should get you 10sp components at a fairly good price, or get a new tiagra 4700 groupset for 260 new including chainset and BB
- the fulcrums are about 55 for a new freehub body, so probably sell.

this will leave you with 3 sets of wheels to swap and change between the bikes, i'd leave the TT alone at the moment as it will work with the shimano compatible wheels. If you do want to swap, you only need mech's and shifters; the brakes will not be effected
JaRok2300

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well jumped on the turbo last night and front mech cable snapped on the Carrera (not from me jumping on it!)

I pondered my options re the internal cable routing with no guides and decided to build the Blade instead (it's got external cables) which prompted me to update on my original post.

I bought a new Tiagra groupset for 250 to fit to the VN. I also bought a mavic freehub and a set of Fulcrum 7s (removed from a brand new bike) for 40 (cheaper than a fulcrum freehub)

I haven't done anything with the VN yet (will fit tiagra in spring) but in theory I will have the Blade and VN both compatible with the Mavics, Fulcrum 5's and HED's with a spare set of fulcrum 7's minus a freehub.

The Blade is just waiting on a set of M5 threaded cable stops, which I didn't realise it needed before I started, but everything else from the Carrera swapped straight over.

So I'm out of pocket about 300 at present but haven't sold anything yet so should come down a fare bit in due course. Thanks for the advice.
Anyone interested in a Carrera Virago TT frame? (same as Dalkiia F1 Zero I believe)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: