Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Wetsuit purchase for a newbie

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jembo28

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 11:02 am    Post subject: Wetsuit purchase for a newbie Reply with quote

Hi all, thanks in advance for your help here.

As the post says I'm after a wetsuit for Blenheim in June (Sprint distance).

Wiggle are offering the Zone 3 Activate+ for 129 or the Advance for 143. Someone told me that Yamamoto neoprene is a must if you can get it and the cheaper of these two has it. What will the Advance therefore give me that the Activate won't and will I miss the Yamamoto? (Advance has 70% SpeedFlo fabric and 30% smooth skin neoprene).

I've only recently started swimming specifically for this event so I'm not a strong swimmer, so I guess I want the suit to help me rather than make me super fast (which would be nice but in reality is unlikely to happen). At the moment I can do the distance non-stop in a pool but nowhere near in open water yet (2 open water swims so far)

Thanks all
Jem
Jgav

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What did you wear during your two open water swims?
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much as per advice on bikes: whichever one fits you best.

There is a lot of marketing involved with neoprene; at the end of the day, it's just closed-cell foam rubber with a smooth coating. It's really not the rocket-science some brands will have you believe. Even how well you put a wetsuit on can affect how well you swim in it.

Have you checked sites like Sportpursuit? They have a lot of deals on there.
FatPom

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a sleeveless wettie for 11 or 12 years, which suited me in Oz. Just moved over to a sleeved one that I bought from Tri Uk using their Endless Pool. Didn't want to spend a fortune, got a FOOR for about 250.

I'm not sure what a 10min swim actually tells you but I did try 3 suits and it was quite exhausting getting them on and off. Haven't used it in anger yet, hopefully soon.

I think the most important thing is learning to put them on correctly, it makes a big difference IMO.
Jembo28

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for your replies.

I wore a Zone 3 Aspire first time and a 2XU A1 Active second time.

Both seemed to fit well, although I'm not too sure I had pulled the Zone 3 up as far as I possibly could have done, in particular to the armpits as I wasn't so aware at the time that putting it on properly made such a difference.

I've actually been a bit spontaneous this afternoon and just gone ahead and bought the Zone3 Advance. As someone said, they're bits of rubber keeping me afloat at the end of the day. If my swim technique improves so much that a better wetsuit is required then I'll take that as a positive!!!

Now to get out in the lake and give it some use between now and Blenheim...!!!
Tin Pot

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got 2XU V2 and never looked back - great suit.
Sprint '16 1h17, '14 1h40, '13 2h01
Half Mara '16 2h04, '14 2h07
10 Mile TT '16 00:26:30
Trail 10K '16 54:01 '13 54:46
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had my current suit (m-to-m Snugg Slipstream) since the 2008 season, and apart from a couple of under-arm panel replacements, it's the original suit. Look after a wetsuit and the investment will be a good one. Frightening how much the Slipstream costs these days (but see my last statement).

I'd be very interested to know how long people keep their BS Helix & Huub Archimedes suits for, because I see a lot of pretty new suits in poor condition on ebay. I'm on season #10 now!
Jembo28

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
I've had my current suit (m-to-m Snugg Slipstream) since the 2008 season, and apart from a couple of under-arm panel replacements, it's the original suit. Look after a wetsuit and the investment will be a good one. Frightening how much the Slipstream costs these days (but see my last statement).

I'd be very interested to know how long people keep their BS Helix & Huub Archimedes suits for, because I see a lot of pretty new suits in poor condition on ebay. I'm on season #10 now!

Was that a high spec or entry level one? (Remember I'm a newbie!)

Am I right in thinking that as long as I'm careful with fingernails I can tug at it pretty hard to pull it up? And how do you know when you've got the arms and shoulders right? I tried mine on last night and it fits well, but I tugged at the arms a bit and both shoulders felt good but looking in the mirror I could see that the seam on the shoulder was further up on one than the other - they can't both have been right???
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Slipstream is their top suit (now 550) made to measure. But a cheaper suit should still last if cared for. If if haven't used it for a prolonged period (like a month or more) then you should 'hydrate' it a few days before you first use it again; this prevents fragility cased by the neoprene drying out.

First thing is to make sure it's right up into the groin area (don't worry about exposing a bit more shin). then pull the body up...Heck, there's a video on youtube that explains it better:

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjD4YrEvtjTAhUrI8AKHeAKDQAQtwIIQTAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D0lgtlpJbQFs&usg=AFQjCNEjnYX359ssK0G0mP1PlBIxDF_nlA
Jgav

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a best way to treat a new suit?
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jgav wrote:
Is there a best way to treat a new suit?

If it's a Huub, with great delicacy.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, petroleum jelly - you can use that with impunity too. Don't believe the hype from the 'skin lube' companies about it rotting suits; it's safe t use on a babies' bottom ffs!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: