Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
activity monitor with wrist HR

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rubberbullet

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:11 am    Post subject: activity monitor with wrist HR Reply with quote

I have a 920xt for workouts but it's too clunky for general everyday (office) wear, so I was hoping to find an smaller HR activity monitor thing. I'm keen to monitor my HR through a day/get resting HR/HRV, without having to jack myself up to a HR strap and big 920xt.

My question is this: has anyone seen any articles comparing the accuracy of the wrist HR systems?

Are there any that you would recommend? ideally they would also have a watch face and link to my mobile phone without a dongle, but I know I might be asking for the moon on a stick...
jibberjim

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know of any wrist trackers that can do hrv, even the pure HR monitors aren't really up to it I think.
stenard

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think its valencell that have suggested they are now at the point of optical hrv, but that's still to be formally established. As Jim says, in general, optical HR is not yet at that level of accuracy.

If you want a smaller device for the non-workout periods of the day, then as you have a 920 I would think you will want to stick with Garmin. They've finally enabled the ability to merge steps from different devices, albeit the "combined number" only shows up on certain, more recent, devices I understand.
jibberjim

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:
I think its valencell that have suggested they are now at the point of optical hrv, but that's still to be formally established. As Jim says, in general, optical HR is not yet at that level of accuracy.

These researchers suggested the pulseon wristband was not that bad:

http://www.hrv4training.com/blog/heart-rate-variability-analysis-using-the-pulseon-wristband

but of course, both that and the MIO are just HR monitors and not activity trackers.
jibberjim

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Fenix 5 or even just the 3 will tick all your other boxes and will have some attempt at HRV via an app, and you can sell the 920...

Silly money though.
fenix

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would you get any useful information from this though?
Do your sessions and monitor your hr there. You can take your own RHR first thing without any Gadget.
Tin Pot

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been getting good results with the Apple Watch 2, running swimming and cycling.

When it does go wrong, it's easy to go into he Health app, review every data point and delete the poor readings, e.g. If I'm working hard at around 160 and it suddenly starts reporting 90.
Sprint '16 1h17, '14 1h40, '13 2h01
Half Mara '16 2h04, '14 2h07
10 Mile TT '16 00:26:30
Trail 10K '16 54:01 '13 54:46
stenard

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fenix wrote:
Would you get any useful information from this though?
Do your sessions and monitor your hr there. You can take your own RHR first thing without any Gadget.

Agreed. I've got into the habit of checking my RHR and HRV score (using the HRV app on the Connect IQ store) every (/most) mornings. I now have a HR strap next to the bed. Still in the early stages so can't comment yet on the usefulness of the data, but I've read some good things about the insight it can provide longer term.

I'm less sold on the 24/7 HR stuff. And from a mate who has a F3HR, the RHR data output by Garmin seems a bit of a nonsense, given its value is higher than the lowest recorded during the day (I've read DCR make similar criticisms of the outputs on that front).
fenix

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was younger I'd take my RHR - every morning. I was only cycling then and after the epic Sunday rides my HR would be elevated every Monday - but you'd expect this anyway. It should show up any illness too - but you need to be strong enough to rest rather than train.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a time not very long ago that activity & sleep trackers were something I scoffed at, and really don't need as I train lots. However, I'm now hooked on the bloody things on my 920, which I have just adopted as my everyday watch, as I broke the winder on my posh divers watch.

Tbh, the tracker does force me to get off my backside and walk about more, which is a good thing.
Jgav

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garmin vivoactive hr I really like mine. Does lots of stuff you want at a reasonable price.
BigFoz

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No idea if it does HRV, but the Polar A360 looks quite slick, and not the size of a housebrick
Roscoemck

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I currently use a 920, but was also interested in the wrist mounted options.

From listening to a few podcasts and doing a bit of reading, the jury appears to still be out on them. Main issues are accuracy during exercise compared to chest strap.
Jgav

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roscoemck wrote:
I currently use a 920, but was also interested in the wrist mounted options.

From listening to a few podcasts and doing a bit of reading, the jury appears to still be out on them. Main issues are accuracy during exercise compared to chest strap.

I've use mine at the same time as wearing a Garmin HR strap (don't ask why) and they were consistently within +/- 1 bpm. Accurate enough for me!
Bluepoolshark

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a Vivoactive HR, apart from being a bit fugly it's a really nice piece of kit for the money
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: