Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Bike Transport on British Airways
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheCelt67

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:01 am    Post subject: Bike Transport on British Airways Reply with quote

Hi All,

I am looking at hiring a Bikeboxalan to transport my bike to a race overseas (Europe). Problem is that BA are pretty vague on their website in terms of transporting bikes. The weight seems fine but the max dimensions don't seem to suit a Bikeboxalan.

Does anybody have any experience of transporting bikes on BA and do you know if they do accept these boxes?

Cheers!
awildt

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never had a problem with BA and bikes. Except in Paris when they forgot them Rolling Eyes - I blame the staff in Paris not BA, it wasn't the first time I'd had a problem with them.

They are very accepting of bikes in any form of bag/box, as long as you've pre-booked it specifically. Just a little bit of a pain at check-in to take it to oversize luggage but at T5 that's easy.
TheCelt67

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

awildt wrote:
I've never had a problem with BA and bikes. Except in Paris when they forgot them Rolling Eyes - I blame the staff in Paris not BA, it wasn't the first time I'd had a problem with them.

They are very accepting of bikes in any form of bag/box, as long as you've pre-booked it specifically. Just a little bit of a pain at check-in to take it to oversize luggage but at T5 that's easy.

THanks for coming back to me awildt

I couldn't see any option to add sports equipment specifically when trying to book online. The call centre didn't seem to sure either. Just didn't want to book the flights to find out afterwards that they will not accept the box.

Did you phone to book yours in advance?
Martinsb

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They will except a bike box Alan. I traveled to Majorca with one in 2015 no issues. It is just you hold luggage. No need to book it as extra. 23kg hand luggage excepted as well. If your going with someone not taking a bike box then just use their hold luggage for whatever you need.
TheCelt67

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martinsb wrote:
They will except a bike box Alan. I traveled to Majorca with one in 2015 no issues. It is just you hold luggage. No need to book it as extra. 23kg hand luggage excepted as well. If your going with someone not taking a bike box then just use their hold luggage for whatever you need.

Thanks Martin! That gives me a bit of reassurance
Whisk

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheCelt67 wrote:
awildt wrote:

THanks for coming back to me awildt

I couldn't see any option to add sports equipment specifically when trying to book online. The call centre didn't seem to sure either. Just didn't want to book the flights to find out afterwards that they will not accept the box.

Did you phone to book yours in advance?

Until 5 or 6 years ago, BA would take one item of "sporting equipment" for free. I think it was originally intended for golf clubs, but bike boxes were fine and you didn't need to notify in advance. Then they changed their baggage policy to the strict 23kg per bag limit (even if you have bags over and under they don't average them out and will charge you excess for a bag over 23kg) and started charging for sporting equipment.

The bike box is just treated like another bag and if you are planning on taking any other hold luggage you'll just have to pay for an extra bag. You can pay at the airport, but it's cheaper if you do it on line. You don't specify that it's a bike box.

Strictly speaking, the 23kg limit applies to bike boxes too. This can be a bit tricky with a hard case because the empty box probably weighs 12kg. Most of the time they won't weigh it, but if you do you could be hit with an excess baggage charge. The bike box doesn't generally fit on the scales at check-in, so often they just ask you how much you think it weighs, to which the correct answer is "about 23kg" Wink Probably best not to go over the top if you are planning on taking other kit in the box.
TheCelt67

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Wisk

From previous trips IIRC even with some other kit in the box it weighed around 21.5kg.

The problem I've got is around dimensions, BA max dimensions quoted on website is 190 x 75 x 65cm whereas Bikeboxalan is 113 x 92 x 32cm

The height at the back end is the issue. They say it has to go cargo otherwise . Which is weird.
If Ryanair , Aer Lingus and Easyjet can transport the bike boxes no questions, why BA saying they can't!?
GrahamO

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bikeboxalan plus bike is only 21kg unless you stuff the box with other stuff.
Whisk

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheCelt67 wrote:
Thanks Wisk

From previous trips IIRC even with some other kit in the box it weighed around 21.5kg.

The problem I've got is around dimensions, BA max dimensions quoted on website is 190 x 75 x 65cm whereas Bikeboxalan is 113 x 92 x 32cm

The height at the back end is the issue. They say it has to go cargo otherwise . Which is weird.
If Ryanair , Aer Lingus and Easyjet can transport the bike boxes no questions, why BA saying they can't!?

I've got an old Scicon box, which BBA basically ripped off when they designed the shape of theirs, and I've flown on BA loads of time with it and it's never been an issue for size. It obviously has to go to the outsized baggage drop, but that's not too much hassle.
Cobbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've booked a flight with BA coming back from Toulouse this summer. The person I spoke to was very clear that the bike box can be your 23kg item of hold luggage (i.e. they don't charge extra like many airlines).

Personally, if the dimensions of your bike box do not match theirs, I'd look for a different bike box. You might get away with it, you might not, depending on the staff at check-in.

In the days before specific charges (and to be fair, clarity in most cases) were introduced, I've been both waved through and forced to pay $50 in the US. You will likely find the same with bike box dimensions ... all it takes is one over-zealous representative.
Surely you can hire a box of the right dimensions? Smile

Personally, I'm much more concerned about my Flybe flight on the way out to France. They charge at the airport and reserve the right not to take it if they have too many outsize pieces of luggage ... will be getting to check-in extra early!
moonmonkey02

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used BA last year for IM Frankfurt and have booked again with them for this year too.

I checked when booking and nothing appears to have changed.

You can take your bike as your hold allowance (max 23KG) and 2 further bags as hand luggage. This is what I did last year and worked ok: bike gets checked in as normal but you then take it to the oversize baggage which was a 2 minute walk away.

Alternatively you can pay extra for an extra bag if you want to check more in as hold baggage.

All quite straightforward.

What I will say is that at neither end did they weigh the bike bag as it was obvious it would have to be taken to oversize baggage so you could probably chuck loads of stuff in the bike without worrying: or leave extra stuff out when checking it in and then putting it all back in before going to the oversize baggage (the bloke there just checks the labels etc but doesn't weigh it).
Cat5 in the Hat

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may find a cheap business ticket cheaper than extra luggage each way. That way you get 2x23kg bags plus the other benefits.
moonmonkey02

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cat5 in the Hat wrote:
You may find a cheap business ticket cheaper than extra luggage each way. That way you get 2x23kg bags plus the other benefits.

i did check this and it was an extra 50 flying out of heathrow but they wanted 109 coming back home: normal extra bag charge is 60 each way booked in advance.

being a tight-arse i'll check the bike box in as my allowance and take as much as i can as hand luggage.

another option is to use shipmybike who are around 200 but obviously takes the hassle out of doing all this - haven't used it myself but does look tempting.
jibberjim

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moonmonkey02 wrote:
Cat5 in the Hat wrote:

i did check this and it was an extra 50 flying out of heathrow but they wanted 109 coming back home: normal extra bag charge is 60 each way booked in advance.

You only need to upgrade one way to get the full baggage allowance both ways. So the cost of the extra bag in your case would've been more than the upgrade on the out journey, and you'd've got the Heathrow lounges.

Where were you flying to, short haul it's normally the other way as the far lounges are crappier and not overcrowded like LHR's?
moonmonkey02

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jibberjim wrote:
moonmonkey02 wrote:
Cat5 in the Hat wrote:

You only need to upgrade one way to get the full baggage allowance both ways. So the cost of the extra bag in your case would've been more than the upgrade on the out journey, and you'd've got the Heathrow lounges.

Where were you flying to, short haul it's normally the other way as the far lounges are crappier and not overcrowded like LHR's?

no i did check and it was different for each flight - unless i cocked up when booking!

going from LHR to Frankfurt.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: