Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
ITU and Ironman seal a new agreement
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fat buddha

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:13 pm    Post subject: ITU and Ironman seal a new agreement Reply with quote

as most know, the ITU and Ironman have been cooperating for a couple of years now to try and a develop a more unified approach to triathlon matters worldwide but it seems as if they have now come a lot closer to having unified agreement on many matters while retaining their own identities.

http://www.triathlon.org/news/article/itu_ironman_agree_to_historic_partnership

"Among the key priorities the ITU and IRONMAN have agreed to, are the following:
• Harmonizing anti-doping efforts to continue to protect clean athletes and the integrity of the sport
• Working towards ITU being recognized as the singular international federation leading the sport of triathlon
• The ITU sanctioning select IRONMAN® events as international events
• The ITU leading coordination and communication with its member National Federations to implement standardized rules and reinforce the ITU’s “Clean, Fair & Safe” mandate
• IRONMAN will leverage ITU resources in certain ethics-related matters, including technological fraud, code of conduct, manipulating of sport competition, etc.
• Working towards a single set of rules (ITU Competition Rules) for long-distance triathlon beginning in 2018
• Developing an athlete-focused edition of those rules with specific distance categories
• Alignment of efforts to foster the growth and development of the sport specifically focused on safety, first-time athletes, development of women in the sport, and education"
explorerJC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they've been making hard work of this for years...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
fat buddha

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
they've been making hard work of this for years...

agreed, but at least they seem to be making more headway now. in some ways it's like getting the various world boxing/darts/wrestling/etc bodies to agree to cooperate and harmonise the sports.
Chrace

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that IM has a defacto status as "recognised", but still annoys me that a private entity can have that kind of power over a supposedly independent international body. Call me old fashioned but I'd have liked IM to incorporate the rules from ITU directly without the sanctioning of some IM events as official ITU events. But, I guess overall it's better to get it streamlined as mentioned.

And of course, it seems most independent national/international sports bodies seem to be useless at influencing, or ripe with fraud and bribe, so perhaps some private money is welcome. At least you know who's paying...
explorerJC

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrace wrote:
I know that IM has a defacto status as "recognised", but still annoys me that a private entity can have that kind of power over a supposedly independent international body. Call me old fashioned but I'd have liked IM to incorporate the rules from ITU directly without the sanctioning of some IM events as official ITU events. But, I guess overall it's better to get it streamlined as mentioned.

And of course, it seems most independent national/international sports bodies seem to be useless at influencing, or ripe with fraud and bribe, so perhaps some private money is welcome. At least you know who's paying...

I have fed that back in the past too, particularly as it advances one RO ahead of another creating an even more uneven playing field...

Am happy to have branded events under ITU umbrella, but these should not be supported any more or less than any other event...

fat buddha

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrace wrote:

it's a step forward and the article does say " Working towards a single set of rules (ITU Competition Rules) for long-distance triathlon beginning in 2018 " - I read that as saying that IM will adopt the ITU Competition Rules for their events from the start of next year irrespective of whether the IM event is sanctioned by the ITU.

it's still going to take some work this year to get a fully integrated set of rules that fit both ITU and IM events, but the gaps have been getting closer recently
fat buddha

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
I have fed that back in the past too, particularly as it advances one RO ahead of another creating an even more uneven playing field...

Am happy to have branded events under ITU umbrella, but these should not be supported any more or less than any other event...

maybe with the ITU having selected some Challenge events as ITU champ races it has sent a message to IM that they aren't the only race organiser in town. I also hope that the ITU don't prefer one EO over another and a race selected to be an ITU champ event is chosen on merit, not organiser.

and with Ironman (through Wanda) having bought out Lagedere who manage a number of ITU WTC events, then the liaison between the 2 parties has had to get a little closer over the last year.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fat buddha wrote:
explorerJC wrote:

maybe with the ITU having selected some Challenge events as ITU champ races it has sent a message to IM that they aren't the only race organiser in town. I also hope that the ITU don't prefer one EO over another and a race selected to be an ITU champ event is chosen on merit, not organiser.

and with Ironman (through Wanda) having bought out Lagedere who manage a number of ITU WTC events, then the liaison between the 2 parties has had to get a little closer over the last year.

Which RO gets its name protected by the governing bodiy's rule book?

fat buddha

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
fat buddha wrote:
explorerJC wrote:

maybe I'm being a bit thick today (much like most days!) but can you expand on what you mean by "being protected by the rule book"??
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How low can I wear my zip?
fat buddha

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:

what governing body?? what distance?? Smile
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fat buddha wrote:
Jorgan wrote:

Precisely. But this is the kind of thing that your average 'customer' is concerned about.
fat buddha

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
fat buddha wrote:
Jorgan wrote:

Precisely. But this is the kind of thing that your average 'customer' is concerned about.

and by getting a single set of rules, I only have to point people at one rule book rather than 2. although it's more complex than that in that not all Nat Feds have adopted the ITU rule book (BTF has with a few minor variations for UK conditions). now if all Nat Feds would adopt the ITU rule book, and IM also use the same, then matters will become a lot easier.

"One rulebook to rule them all, one index page to find them, One TO to bring them all and in the darkness bind them" (apologies to Tolkien Wink )
explorerJC

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fat buddha wrote:
explorerJC wrote:
fat buddha wrote:
explorerJC wrote:

maybe I'm being a bit thick today (much like most days!) but can you expand on what you mean by "being protected by the rule book"??

perhaps its now been removed....and my campaigning worked Smile

ed_m

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:

I'd prefer it if you kept your zip done up at all times in public.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: