Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
ToS 2017
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buzz_

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:28 pm    Post subject: ToS 2017 Reply with quote

Anybody planning on doing the Tour of Sufferlandria next week?
https://thesufferfest.com/pages/tour-of-sufferlandria

It looks almost sensible this year, with double days only at weekends and not too many horrendous sprintery type days. Having said that Day 8 is going to be a cluster... But I may even try to hit most days at 100% intensity, at least to start with. Might regret that half way through The Scream but hey.

As I do most of my turboing late at night I hope to run a day ahead and do Stage 1 on Friday. Might not get much running or swimming during the week, but I have been trying some of the yoga sessions.

Any other takers?

--
[/url]
TransitionTed

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes
SGreg

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I'm in

It does all look alright but Day 8 is insane and day 9 it no cake walk either nearly 3hours!

But once I've done 7days I'll find a way to finish off.
hammerer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should be there on the start line this evening but this 5 week chest issue may scupper my plans. I always find day 3 and 4 the hardest to do, its early enough to think this is stupid i need a rest day. Get to 5 and its "downhill"
Buzz_

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stage 1 done. As predicted couldn't hold 100% once the effort got above 8, so a bit more of a pyramid than a ramp. But held a strong enough tempo to the end and it had stopped raining by the time I'd finished, so even did a short recovery run while stage 2 downloaded.

All set for tomorrow then. Longer, but not much above threshold so should suite me better.

--
TransitionTed

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Legs.
Woken.
Up.
Buzz_

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's strange. I completed the British Cycling inspired warm-up, but nobody turned up with a medical package to give me a boost for the rest of the ride.
Buzz_

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stage 2 done, long but mostly steady, nothing too eventful although I got to watch a bit of tennis at the same time.

Must admit I don't follow the really low cadence instructions below ~70. And I don't stand either, so a lot of the power efforts are probably lost on me.

--
M444TTB

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having a terrible tour so far. Smashed myself on a run Thursday then a long drive to Cornwall Friday and my legs have nothing. Stage 1 was hell and stage 2 barely any better with 12 hours in between. Hopefully 22 hours between 2 and 3 might make The Omnium more do-able. Except the MAX bits that I can never do!
SGreg

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stage 1 was a swine. I'd say impossible for an accurate FTP Still managed to finish the last 5 mins at target power after some easier effory midway.

Stage 2 was just long. As Buzz_ I didn't follow the really low cadence work as I fear for my knees, and I'm on a TT so standing feel wrong. Problems occurring in the undercarriage area....

Stage 3 was fine the undercarriage still VERY sore from s2 but the efforts were fine. The flying 1k is interesting but all the high efforts are short.

Barely slept last night as I seem to be developing a cold, so an "abandonment" could be on the cards ...unless I can sort a TUE to get me "back on a level playing field"

Still Angels tonight...Pretty sure I will dial down the intensity for the final Impossible 8 min.
Buzz_

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really enjoyed Omnium. 1K timetrial was a bit of a fail, and nowhere near max power on some of the sprints, but good fun and variety.

Shame it's already out of date. The new Omnium doesn't seem to have any variety. Seeing as it was included in the Olympics to keep the individual pursuit and time trial alive, seems to have eaten itself.

Agree SGreg, I apparently exceeded my current FTP during my failed attempt to hit The Scream @100%. So following the numbers would have been a big improvement on a test I did 1 week ago. And the last Angels interval is way harder than the others, discretion may be required as I'd like to do Hammers justice.

--
hammerer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I quite like the tempo race, but they may as well rename the Omnium, "Track League" now. Shame they don't include a reverse win and out as well Wink

I could understand dropping the 4km. it is a little boring to watch but keep 6 events and add the tempo instead of the pursuit. Also having it all dependant on the points race and ultimately the double points last sprint seems counterintuitive. Again I can see why they think its good but essentially its like pro tri now but rather than a wet 10k its just a "tired" points race
Buzz_

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hammerer wrote:
I quite like the tempo race, but they may as well rename the Omnium, "Track League" now. Shame they don't include a reverse win and out as well Wink

I could understand dropping the 4km. it is a little boring to watch but keep 6 events and add the tempo instead of the pursuit. Also having it all dependant on the points race and ultimately the double points last sprint seems counterintuitive. Again I can see why they think its good but essentially its like pro tri now but rather than a wet 10k its just a "tired" points race

It's good that they are prepared to try new things but I'm not sure the changes are wholly successful. The points race is one of the most confusing to watch, so I'm not sure making it the focus will bring in casual viewers. I understand they want the winner to be unclear until near the end but then is it really a multi-event competition? Not many decathlon's or heptathlons are decided on the 1500/800, it's more like a lap of honour - not saying that is necessarily a good thing.

--
SGreg

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's this got to do with suffering ?

During Angels my Tyre gave in, It developed a hideous bulge which by the end was rubbing the frame and large chunks of rubber flying all over....That made the last 8 mins, interesting.

However large amounts of sudocrem had made the undercarriage problem far more manageable.

Last night I did 9Hammers, the Vo2 max High Cadence nature of which seemed like a relief after all the endless low cadence work.

Was hoping to feel pretty happy about being past half way, but the spectre of stage 8 / 9 makes this feel like a long way from half way yet.

Still "There is no Try" is easyish so that's a plus and I'm able to grab a rest day on Friday as I started Monday. so the weekend should be ....fun
Buzz_

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Try a light relief after Hammers and Angels. Hell is one of my go to sessions along with Hammers and Dark Place so it will be interesting to see how it feels on Day 7. Still doing each day @100%, although just stopping the power number turning blue is all I managing on occasion.

--
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: