Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Short sleeved tri top
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
moonmonkey02

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:56 pm    Post subject: Short sleeved tri top Reply with quote

I know this has been covered before (probably every year!) but trying to see what's currently available.

The top needs to be:
- short sleeved
- preferably full zip
- preferably not all/mostly white
- available in the UK
- provide sun protection, i.e. spf50

Top will be used for long distance so worn under a wet suit and during the bike but whipped off in T2 before the run.

I'm aware of the following but i may have missed some:
- fusion speed (would be ideal but all white)
- castelli stealth t1 (would be ideal but all white)
- fusion Short Sleeve Tri Top (does come in black/red but not full zip)
- Louis Garneau Course M-2 Tri Jersey (not available in UK - Evans are selling the full suit but not the top only)
- Desoto Riviera (not available in UK)
- 2XU COMPRESSION SLEEVED TRI TOP (ticks the boxes but can't find any reviews on this))
- ENDURA QDC DRAG2ZERO SHORT SLEEVE JERSEY (looks perfect but hideously expensive)
- Compressport Pro Racing Triathlon Short Sleeve Top (no zip, hideous logos)

Have I missed any?
explorerJC

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fusion do a short sleeved top in black, albeit with a quarter zip.

i have a short sleeved, full zip Fusion top, of the older type, but it is mostly white..great value for money...just a bit faded now...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Mungo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have several tri suits all with no arms. Vest type tops one and two piece.
For a half iron man bike split at 20-22 mph ish, is there any real benefits of one with short sleaves?

I get the TT boys moving at 25-30 mph and 300+ watts needing every aero benefit, but surely its hotter for the run?

The huub ones look great but are you getting any bang for your buck?
ironchimp

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You missed off the Huub one:

https://huubdesign.com/collections/triathlon-suits

I use the fusion full suit (white and yellow), and I'm a big fan. It changed my mind about racing LD in a full suit rather than a two piece.

They also do the pwr version in black:

https://fusionmultisport.com.au/collections/mens/products/speed-suit-pwr

In response to Mungo, whilst the aero benefits may not be as great at lower speeds, they're still there. That said, the reason I prefer short sleeved is that it protects the light blue northern skin on my shoulders from sunburn.

Regarding overheating on the run, I've not noticed much difference between it and the sleeveless version. If anything it may keep me slightly cooler due to the sun not directly hitting my shoulders and upper arms, and the fabric being cooled by regular splashes of water at aid stations.
TriSam

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Increased speed leads to an exponential increase in aerodynamic drag (effectively), which is why at higher speeds more power is needed to increase speed by a set amount than at lower speeds.

However, this isn't to say that at lower speeds aerodynamics aren't important. In fact, because slower riders spend more time to complete a set distance their net time savings are likely to be higher than those who complete the ride faster.
moonmonkey02

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
Fusion do a short sleeved top in black, albeit with a quarter zip.

i have a short sleeved, full zip Fusion top, of the older type, but it is mostly white..great value for money...just a bit faded now...

yes i did see/list this one: unfortunately not full zip and also has rear pockets which i don't want/need.

if the fusion speed came in a different colour i would have got it.
moonmonkey02

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mungo wrote:
I have several tri suits all with no arms. Vest type tops one and two piece.
For a half iron man bike split at 20-22 mph ish, is there any real benefits of one with short sleaves?

I get the TT boys moving at 25-30 mph and 300+ watts needing every aero benefit, but surely its hotter for the run?

The huub ones look great but are you getting any bang for your buck?

i want short sleeve mainly for sun protection in long course events: also helps a bit with the early morning start/chilly air first thing and can be used with arm warmers/coolers.

there may be an aero benefit but as you say minimal if any for triathlon.
TriSam

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also want to add, the short sleeves in themselves won't add much of an aero advantage. It's the textured/trip sleeves which make the massive difference. They disrupt the airflow over the shoulders and upper arms which leads to the airflow hugging the body in a more laminar way, rather than being turbulent and "dirty".

See the Endura trisuits, Bioracer skinsuits, and some of the NoPinz stuff
moonmonkey02

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TriSam wrote:

See the Endura trisuits, Bioracer skinsuits, and some of the NoPinz stuff

This was the one that caught my eye the most but with limited reviews (only on the Sigma shop site) I'm struggling to justify the cost!

ENDURA QDC DRAG2ZERO SHORT SLEEVE JERSEY

http://www.sigmasport.co.uk/item/Endura/QDC-Drag2Zero-Short-Sleeve-Jersey/CJ64
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a one-piece now, but last two seasons I used a Castelli Aero Race 5.0 jersey for the swim/bike. I wore it unzipped for the swim, as it was very snug. I had to pull it on after the swim in Frankfurt couple of years back as it was non-wetsuit - that was hard with wet arms!

If you're going to do it properly, it will defo need to be full zip, so you can have it undone in the swim - as unless it's super-tight, it will flap in the wind & defeat the object. I couldn't have run in that Aero Race jersey, too tight across my chest.
moonmonkey02

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
I've got a one-piece now, but last two seasons I used a Castelli Aero Race 5.0 jersey for the swim/bike. I wore it unzipped for the swim, as it was very snug. I had to pull it on after the swim in Frankfurt couple of years back as it was non-wetsuit - that was hard with wet arms!

If you're going to do it properly, it will defo need to be full zip, so you can have it undone in the swim - as unless it's super-tight, it will flap in the wind & defeat the object. I couldn't have run in that Aero Race jersey, too tight across my chest.

i tried one of these on and it was very tight across arms/shoulders (to the point it was going to rip) and the waist was still baggy - never going to work for me in a tri.

i have been using a skins c400 cycling jersey the last few years but fancy getting a new tri specific top this year.
TriSam

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to try a longsleeved, cheap option. A B'Twin 700 aerofit baselayer is a good alternative at a very reasonable price
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moonmonkey02 wrote:

i tried one of these on and it was very tight across arms/shoulders (to the point it was going to rip) and the waist was still baggy - never going to work for me in a tri.

Eat more pies, or do less weights?
SwimsLikeAWalrus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to investigate some of these...

Last year in a 70.3 I tried (something new on race day) an ordinary cycling jersey which I put on after the swim. My reasoning for this was avoiding the comedy sunburn to which I am prone and also quite frankly a bit of flappy fabric really is the least of my worries. I was concerned about over heating on the run but just unzipped it fully and was fine. Albeit slightly unattractive to look at, although I did zip up to go down the magic carpet.

Overall it was a good call. I'd do it again. Another time I arrived so late for a race I didn't have time to remove my top and put my wetsuit on over the top - that worked well too. I just removed it and put on my dry cycling jersey in T1. Being dry from the off on a long bike seems to work well for me.
JeffB

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a skinfit streamliner, excellent suit with SPF50 etc, only problem is it is white (or was).

Mail order from Austria, sizing is a bit snug though but nothing like Castelli etc.

http://www.skinfit.eu/at/en/products/05822.html

Jeff
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: