Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Power Pacing on Hilly Rides, help please
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mattsurf

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds really interesting, and clearly an area where I can improve before Wales

When you are training, do you setup your Garmin to show Avg power and NP or is there a way to show VI

I guess that it is not too difficult, my average power will be around 200-220W on a good ride, so NP should be within 10W of average

What data do you show on Garmin screen? What is most important for effective training

I am showing:
Speed & Avg Speed
Lap power & Lap NP
Cadence & Lap Cadence
Heart rate & Grade %
Distance & Time or day (so that I don't spend too long out on the bike)
stenard

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:
This sounds really interesting, and clearly an area where I can improve before Wales

When you are training, do you setup your Garmin to show Avg power and NP or is there a way to show VI

I guess that it is not too difficult, my average power will be around 200-220W on a good ride, so NP should be within 10W of average

What data do you show on Garmin screen? What is most important for effective training

I am showing:
Speed & Avg Speed
Lap power & Lap NP
Cadence & Lap Cadence
Heart rate & Grade %
Distance & Time or day (so that I don't spend too long out on the bike)

Similar, but I would have 3s power instead of lap cadence. I personally don't need to know what my average cadence has been ... all I'd really care about at a given glace at the screen is whether I am in my desired cadence range at that particular moment.

In the same vein, I like 3s power as a reference for short sharp climbs. It's hard to know what you're actually doing otherwise as the impact on AP will likely be individually small, yet across an entire ride, lots of short sharp blasts could have a big influence on overall VI.
PCP

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For races:
NP
3sec P
Cadence
HR Zone
Distance
Lap Time

I don't like to look at speed, stick to the power plan and what will be will be.
Horwich tri - 2:11:12 (57/393)
Monster Mojo Middle - 4:44:50 (29th)
50TT - mechanical
UK Ultimate 1/2 - DNF
100TT - 4:47
IMUK -
Pedro Peru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know if this will be of use but it maybe https://www.alancouzens.com/blog/bike_pacing_calculator.html
explorerJC

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a shed load of data to be looking at...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Mungo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more I look into it, the less likely it seams I will ever own a power meter for my tt bike.

I have a turbo trainer with watts a watt bike and a static bike that all show virtually identical readings when compared to my heartrate.

I am starting to learn how long i can hold a set heart rate for, the numbers ( watts ) back this up.

I was talking to a guy who is hoping to go under 10 hours at the outlaw recently, hes not a brilliant runner but he produces big numbers on the bike, he paid a fortune for a wireless all singing all dancing power meter. However his heart rate is the number he keeps his eye on the most.

The body is slightly different everyday and on race day, when it really matters, in a rested state after months of hard graft your optimum power output may have changed. As we rarely race and ride with a taper involved. Your heart is still your heart.

I have a garage full of carbon bling 5 sets of aero wheels, am currently building a hybrid 6 ish kg Aero / TT bike and I want a power meter, someone please convince me why!?
hammerer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PCP wrote:
For races:
NP
3sec P
Cadence
HR Zone
Distance
Lap Time

I don't like to look at speed, stick to the power plan and what will be will be.

I have 3s pwr large with cadence with HR, then below 30s pwr, 30s l/r balance, speed and distance all smaller. Only use top 3 generally.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: