Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Di2
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whisk

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrTim wrote:
thought he'd qualified for the world champs, but was disqualified for speeding (there's a bend with a 25mph limit).

I know most people do have some sort of a computer on their bikes that will tell them their speed, but it's a bit weird to impose a speed limit on a part of the course if there is no requirement in the rules for riders to have speedos. Did they have a speed trap there, or was he just going so far over the speed limit that it was obvious that he was breaking it???
explorerJC

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whisk wrote:
MrTim wrote:
thought he'd qualified for the world champs, but was disqualified for speeding (there's a bend with a 25mph limit).

I know most people do have some sort of a computer on their bikes that will tell them their speed, but it's a bit weird to impose a speed limit on a part of the course if there is no requirement in the rules for riders to have speedos. Did they have a speed trap there, or was he just going so far over the speed limit that it was obvious that he was breaking it???

it seems very subjective....

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
explorerJC

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRO Saracen wrote:
McLaren have a limiter button in F1 so once pressed they CANNOT go above 50 mph, and use it to go right at, but with no risk of going over 50mph during the race.

FTFY

jibberjim

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whisk wrote:
MrTim wrote:

If the risk assessment requires a max speed, then there's a max speed, if you choose to ride without a speedo for whatever reason, then you either err further on the side of caution, or you take a risk of a DQ.

There is nothing wrong with having a speed limit on a course and not requiring speedometers.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jibberjim wrote:
Whisk wrote:
MrTim wrote:

If the risk assessment requires a max speed, then there's a max speed, if you choose to ride without a speedo for whatever reason, then you either err further on the side of caution, or you take a risk of a DQ.

There is nothing wrong with having a speed limit on a course and not requiring speedometers.

i am interested in how the RO determined what speed was safe and how they determined athlete speed...

JaRok2300

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was reading about this on ST.
Apparently there were timing mats with a speed read out for competitors. The limits were 35mph for pros and 25mph for AGs.
How those speeds were arrived at I don't know but it all related to a death there in a previous race.
MrTim

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He didn't really go into much detail about it himself, but the speed limit is clearly mentioned in the race rules which I assume were published in plenty of time for anyone without a speedo on their bike to prepare (and you can get a basic cycle computer for about 4) and you'd assume would be mentioned in the briefing at the start. It's probably the sort of thing where it's easy to get "in the zone" and forget about it mid race though. I know at least one female age grouper got DQ'd and lost their world champs place for it as well.
JeffB

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's obviously a fast part of the course if the limit for A\G's is 25mph, I suppose the organisers have to have a clear definition but it is a shame that the likes of Button and the lady that got D\Q'd are probably not that far off pro level and can probably handle >25mph (forgetting his obvious talents of driving quickly Smile ). Whereas the slower A\G's were probably unlikely to be going that quick anyway.

But if there were speed screens before it they really don't have an excuse, and in fairness to him he doesn't seem that gutted by it.

With it being in America I think a lot of euro slots will roll down quite far TBH.

Jeff
prof_munro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The, fast, adventure cyclist Mark Beaumont has long used DI2 so must be convinced of the relative reliability as well as ease of sue.

http://road.cc/content/news/144912-mark-beaumont%E2%80%99s-koga-solacio-ready-cairo-cape-town-record-attempt
grunta

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BELATED thanks to all !! G
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: