Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
$1.5 million new race series
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TriSam

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did anyone else watch this, this morning?

I was interested to see how the format of racing was different and how it impacted the elites. Today's leg was the "Triple Mix", 3 short races with varying orders.

Race 1: 300m Swim, 6k Bike, 2k Run
Race 2: 2k Run, 6k Bike, 300m Swim
Race 3: 6k Bike, 300m Swim, 2k Bike

I thought it made for exciting viewing, and some new names came to the forefront (no spoilers here). I was mainly getting jealous of the scenery and the weather over there on Hamilton Island, gorgeous. The final race concluded with the sun setting over the sea... so unfair
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i caught a bit of it after having my various social media feeds completely bombarded by them - they aren't missing a trick there! But I missed the main action going to work; i've only seen the winner.

I must admit to being rather dubious about it all at it seems to be the latest rich Middle Eastern sheikh (or whatever's) latest plaything. Macca is certainly doing a good job at tapping these markets. Lovely looking venue, but no crowds at all (a tiny Aussie island), but i guess they were hoping for big viewing figures online.

But, i'm prepared to put my skepticism aside if it truly is good racing, so i'll keep tuning in whenever i can to see what happens. What did you make of it Sam?
JaRok2300

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I caught about 20mins before work.
The part I saw (Race 2) gave the impression there was some sandbagging going on, whether for Race 3 or the coming days but not much of a sample to draw any conclusion from.
Looking forward to tomorrow with the time trial and handicap start (IIRC) as the format I was most intrigued by.
The eliminator on Sunday could be a bit cagey again as people do just enough to stay in until the last race.
TriSam

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it managed to get rid of the typically boring parts of an Olympic distance race (like 35km of drafting on the bike). The racing was aggressive, but the traditional podium contenders weren't that prevalent. Whether that's because they were sandbagging, or were left behind in the shorter racing format, I guess will show over the next few days.

I'm sure some are taking it less seriously, Richard Murray remarked after the final race that he was going to recover with "lots of Coronas and bread"

Very Happy
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What channel is it on? I'm aware of this series, but much like WTS, I never have the opportunity to watch it, live at least. The only races I watched last year were Men's race in Rio (sat in canteen in work & streamed it) and my annual Kona watchathon.

I definitely think Triathlon is a participation rather than spectator sport. I would generally rather participate in sports than watch tbh.
TriSam

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was live on Eurosport and online
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Streamed live on their website or facebook page thing

https://superleaguetriathlon.com/live

I didn't really like Murray before, but he's growing on me. Treat it like it is - a massive pay cheque! Also, he was the only one there (yesterday during the press stuff) in flip flops - good man. It's sweltering there. You can't trust someone who wears trainers in that sort of heat! Very Happy

Anyone else see the press stuff and notice that Alistair was the only one not wearing the corporate t-shirt?!
TriSam

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Ali has a sponsorship deal with Adidas that means he can't wear any other clothing! He mentioned in an interview before that he's never spent any money on clothes before, Adidas just send him everything. Very Happy

I was more interested in finding out who the heathen in the crocs was! Even in the heat, they're not acceptable
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can walk normally in Crocs, whereas after a while in flip-flops in become uncomfortable in my experience, constantly having to grip them with your toes.
PhilleusPhogg

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
You can walk normally in Crocs, whereas after a while in flip-flops in become uncomfortable in my experience, constantly having to grip them with your toes.

I've a friend who genuinely can't walk in flip-flops - he's got some sort of mental block. I asked him to try them once on holiday in Newquay as I didn't believe it; he got stuck 'traversing' across a hill, he was stood still on the incline, and felt like he would slip and fall over if he put all his weight on either leg. It meant he didn't dare move, and more funnily, couldn't take either flip flop off as that'd mean shifting his weight. Probably of little interest unless you were there, but suffice to say he's more of a Crocs man too.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flip flops in moderation are fine, but like everything else, they help to ruin your feet after a while...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
JaRok2300

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Repeated at 8pm on Eurosport 2 if anyone sees this in time.
JaRok2300

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny looking triathlon, snow everywhere and whole course is downhill.
Roscoemck

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is not too bad at all. Good if they can keep it going, maybe even expand on it.

Round 2 over and Ali is not doing well!
JaRok2300

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lost a bit of interest as the weekend progressed with the final day's format possibly the least interesting.

I still think there is merit in the idea but needs a few more tweaks for me. A longer time trial on day 2 to create bigger time gaps as that turned into a fairly normal draft legal race fairly quickly. Maybe alter the distances between events to move the emphasis between disciplines rather than just the order.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: