Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Power Meters - Reliability
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JaRok2300

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:14 pm    Post subject: Power Meters - Reliability Reply with quote

I've been toying with getting a power meter but am on a fairly tight budget.
At the moment I use the power figures from my Bkool Turbo but have no way of comparing them to (or using the information on) outdoor rides.
I came to the conclusion that a 2nd hand Powertap wheel seemed the best option at around the 200ish mark.
Whilst keeping an eye on them for sale I've been surprised at how many quote recent rebuilds and services (at considerable cost) and wondered how reliable these generally were or is it something that needs to be factored into a purchase over and above the original cost?
iwaters

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two 2nd hand wheel sets with powertap G3 hubs. One training, one carbon. I haven't really ridden the carbon set as I bought at end of season.

The other one has been fine. That too was sold has having been recently serviced/calibrated. I had one situation when it started going funny but a new battery and firmware upgrade and it was right as rain. I have done over 2000Km with no issues.

However, at 200 notes I am assuming those are not G3s? The older powertap hubs (silver body) are less reliable. I believe that Powertap offer an upgrade to the old hubs the install the G3 internals.

With anything 2nd hand you take a risk. The most expensive part is the torque tube, that goes and it will cost you almost the full price of the unit new to replace. However, the powertap units are very reliable.
Chrace

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd advise not to get Stages, lots of problems there (both Gen1 and Gen2 really). Some work fine, but I went through 3 in sharp succession.

My current 4iiii seems bang on but I haven't tested it enough to be fair. If you can spare the time sending your left crank arm to Canada that's some 250 I think.

I actually only really use power in two scenarios - on the turbo where I can have lab-like conditions, and in races where I need to limit myself. Outdoor training rides are interesting to see afterwards but using a PM is tricky at best (with road conditions, traffic, etc).
moonmonkey02

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i use a g3 which went wrong after about 18m: internals fully replaced by cyclepowermeters (10/10 customer service) and wheel works fine now.

i've considered buying another g3 as they often come up 2nd hand (ebay) but as you say loads quote recently serviced etc which i would read into that they've gone wrong, repaired and now being off-loaded before it happens again.

FYI if anything does go wrong it will cost over 300 to sort it. IMHO simply not worth it: 200 would be a cheap 2nd hand unit, factor in a possible 300 repair bill and you may as well buy a new one with a 2 year warranty.

i'm happy with the g3 despite the repair (good as new now) but i'll be looking for another PM later this year but will lean towards a crank based such as the quark or new shimano one (depending on price).

personally i wouldn't buy any 2nd hand PM as they generally seem troublesome.

however i would definitely recommend getting one whatever you choose.
Iaincognito

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been happy with my 4iiii arm ( had it 2 years). Got stung for 80 import tax/vat/FedEx fee
Importing it though. I had to return it to USA/Canada for a repair but they were
Superb about it and paid for 24hour FedEx each way so I got it fixed in a week.

I also have two powertap wheels.
The first was an elite hub in a dtswiss wheel from wiggle. This was fixed twice
Under warranty* ( so don't get one of those) the second time they replaced the internals with the G3 bits and it's been better. It currently on loan to a mate as I don't use it.
* Just remembered it broke just before Roth 😡

I also bought a 2nd hand mavic cosmic carbon set off another mate with
The pro SL hub, which has been fine ( except it unpaired from my Garmin
Just into the outlaw half bike 😡😡)
Cobbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm onto my third Powertap with varying results

1. Second hand old Pro unit which I bounght in 2007, worked brilliantly until it died a year ago. Traded it in for ...

2. G3 on carbon clinchers. Lovely wheel, no problems so far

3. Bought a second powertap in 2010 and all worked fine until recently when the torque tube failed. It did cost over 300 to repair but I couldn't use the wheel by then as I'd upgraded my bike to 11 speed. So, I would have had to pay for the 11 speed / G3 conversion anyway (I understand that would have been about half the total cost) ... in that sense the timing was good. All great since the repair Smile

Personally I like powertap, gives me all the data I need, there's a high degree of consistency in calibration and I don't swap wheels much (just winter to summer really).

If I was still racing today I'd buy pedals but I realise that's out of your price bracket. A second hand G3 though is a good piece of kit IMO.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Vectors were reasonably cheap, easy to swap over bikes and accurate compared to my Elite Drivo trainer...

What's not to like?

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Cobbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
My Vectors were reasonably cheap, easy to swap over bikes and accurate compared to my Elite Drivo trainer...

What's not to like?

Cheaper than I realised. They've come down from colse to 1000 haven't they?
explorerJC

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cobbie wrote:
explorerJC wrote:

What's not to like?

Cheaper than I realised. They've come down from colse to 1000 haven't they?

yep...got mine in NZ as well...along with a bike, so got a good deal...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Nobbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had three of the older powertap wheels and done 10's of thousands of miles on them without failure. In that time I've had two sets of bearing replaced and a new rim. They were all bought secondhand.
jig

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:

What's not to like?

I tried some
Vectors (single side) against my kickr last week and there seemed to be a discrepancy of 10-50 watts on the vectors reading lower than the kickr.

I know the kickr can read high but these vectors seem to be reading low as well. Being sent back to wiggle for a warrenty check
stenard

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jig wrote:
explorerJC wrote:

What's not to like?

I tried some
Vectors (single side) against my kickr last week and there seemed to be a discrepancy of 10-50 watts on the vectors reading lower than the kickr.

I know the kickr can read high but these vectors seem to be reading low as well. Being sent back to wiggle for a warrenty check

Guessing you factored this in, but unless you're 50:50 balanced at all times/power levels, both devices could have been reading perfectly and you'd have still got that discrepancy. That's the draw back of single sided.
Chrace

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just saw a 2nd hand power2max at 250 on an FB forum the other day.

Are people still liking them? Should be some well loved devices out there by now.
stenard

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrace wrote:
Just saw a 2nd hand power2max at 250 on an FB forum the other day.

Are people still liking them? Should be some well loved devices out there by now.
Yep, they just "work". I have one (an original classic) on the main roadie, and one on the TT (a type S).

I'll be honest and say if I was coming to power new, with multiple bikes, I'd definitely go P1s, but getting another P2M was the easiest and cost effective option for me once I got the TT, as taking the hit on trying to sell the roadie P2M was not going to have been economical, especially as I needed a new crank on the TT anyway.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

250 for a P2Max is a bargain if it works well. I got mine off Ebay 3 years ago now (Rotor 3D+ version) and it was well over 600. It's very reliable/consistent, and the battery lasts for ages for the average person. It does read a tad low though; way lower than my old Ergomo (perhaps not the best marker), and probably 10-15w less than the Wattbike at work. I would send it back for calibration, but it has to go back to Germany, and I can't be doing without it for too long Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: