Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Hoka trainers and achilles tendonitis
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
annamal

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:17 pm    Post subject: Hoka trainers and achilles tendonitis Reply with quote

Hi
I've had chronic achilles tendon problems for about 2 years but manage it, mostly ok but have been reading that Hoka trainers may help and result in pain free running - has anyone got any experience of this at all?

Generally, how do people find Hoka as a shoe?

Any advise is appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Anna
explorerJC

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they may buy you some short term remission, but ultimately I would recommend that you resolve the cause of the issue...

Achilles tendon issues can really bite you hard...

Have you had professional treatment and guidance?

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
fat buddha

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hokas are good for (in my experience and from others I know) in helping with plantar fasciitis, but not heard any comments in trying to overcome achilles issues.

as eJC says, you might need more professional advice for this
explorerJC

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fat buddha wrote:
Hokas are good for (in my experience and from others I know) in helping with plantar fasciitis, but not heard any comments in trying to overcome achilles issues.

in the short term, perhaps, but the toe spring is too extreme than to create more problems for the future....

annamal

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all - i know you're right really, just looking for a quick fix which I know isn't really a solution!! I had HILT (High Intensity Laser Treatment) which was great but it's now on the other achilles. I'll get it looked at I think.
Happy training everyone Smile
Chrace

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I occasionally have problems with the achilles tendon and/or calf muscles and tried some Hoka One-One trail version.

I tried them on a treadmill first (5k) which worked fine, but outside they just wrecked me. Did one 5k and sold them on, I was limping back the last 2k.

Everyone's different though but they definitely did not work for me. At all. Now using low profile 6mm drop instead which works a lot better - for me.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5k in an extreme shoe is quite a risk...especially if the show was a significant change from the norm...

Chrace

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
5k in an extreme shoe is quite a risk...especially if the show was a significant change from the norm...

Heel drop same as what I was used to and neutral gait, but the body mechanics just didn't work at all for me. And it wasn't a hilly run btw, flat hard surface so easy to concentrate on form (which I did). Dunno, just not for me.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrace wrote:
explorerJC wrote:

Heel drop same as what I was used to and neutral gait, but the body mechanics just didn't work at all for me. And it wasn't a hilly run btw, flat hard surface so easy to concentrate on form (which I did). Dunno, just not for me.

me neither...no movement of the foot there...

Chrace

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
Chrace wrote:
explorerJC wrote:

Actually, that's a really good description eJC.

I felt the shoe forced my landing position because it was so high, hindering me from rolling outer to inner (if that makes sense). That in turn put force on knees and hips and to be comfortable I had to run with a wider stance than I wanted to, which obviously screwed me over big time.

I like to stick a lot closer to the ground so I can feel what is going on.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrace wrote:
explorerJC wrote:
Chrace wrote:
explorerJC wrote:

I felt the shoe forced my landing position because it was so high, hindering me from rolling outer to inner (if that makes sense). That in turn put force on knees and hips and to be comfortable I had to run with a wider stance than I wanted to, which obviously screwed me over big time.

pronation....

stability shoes offer similar effects, restricting the movement of the muscles and joints...in the short term this can assist if biomx are poor but it doesn't solve the problem...

Gus

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finding the root cause is obviously the best focus to try to solve it long-term.

I had really bad Achilles in both feet for a while, caused by years of running in the old-style army boots which were notorious for destroying Achilles. I know it's not what you want to hear but the only way I managed to lose the problem was literally to lay off training for a couple of years and let them heal (oh good pun) properly.

My 15 minutes of fame
Jgav

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
Chrace wrote:
explorerJC wrote:
Chrace wrote:
explorerJC wrote:

pronation....

stability shoes offer similar effects, restricting the movement of the muscles and joints...in the short term this can assist if biomx are poor but it doesn't solve the problem...

Interesting, I've been running in stability shoes since 2012 and found they help. If I wanted to move back to a neutral gait shoe, how do I go about fixing the biomechanics to stop overpronation?
explorerJC

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jgav wrote:
explorerJC wrote:
Chrace wrote:
explorerJC wrote:
Chrace wrote:
explorerJC wrote:

pronation....

Interesting, I've been running in stability shoes since 2012 and found they help. If I wanted to move back to a neutral gait shoe, how do I go about fixing the biomechanics to stop overpronation?

Define your over pronation

explorerJC

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gus wrote:
Finding the root cause is obviously the best focus to try to solve it long-term.

I had really bad Achilles in both feet for a while, caused by years of running in the old-style army boots which were notorious for destroying Achilles. I know it's not what you want to hear but the only way I managed to lose the problem was literally to lay off training for a couple of years and let them heal (oh good pun) properly.

Army boots destroy biomx

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: