Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Training? What training?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38, 39  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JeffB

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was an excellent performance Stenard, I was tracking yourself and Chickenboy.

Getting the fast swim got you some time in the bank which I presume helped mentally even though the bike felt harder than it should have done?

When I saw your bike splits I wasn't sure if it was your pacing plan or not, as you'd gone faster in some of your other races I think, but I remember someone telling me parts of the course were exposed and could get windy.

The run was very impressive.

Still reading your writeup, that might take 10 hours!

Scary to see age groupers do 8:29, think the M45 did sub 9 to beat Vino as well.

Jeff
Roscoemck

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really need to get my ass back in gear this week.

I've done one 4 mile run last weeks Sunday's 70.3. Slept a lot more than normal and have been eating for Britain Very Happy
stenard

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeffB wrote:
It was an excellent performance Stenard, I was tracking yourself and Chickenboy.

Getting the fast swim got you some time in the bank which I presume helped mentally even though the bike felt harder than it should have done?

When I saw your bike splits I wasn't sure if it was your pacing plan or not, as you'd gone faster in some of your other races I think, but I remember someone telling me parts of the course were exposed and could get windy.

The run was very impressive.

Still reading your writeup, that might take 10 hours!

Scary to see age groupers do 8:29, think the M45 did sub 9 to beat Vino as well.

Jeff

Thanks.

Definitely true on the swim. I think knowing that had gone so well allowed me to deal with the relative struggles on the bike a bit more easily. Pacing there wasn't too far off (it was only about 0.5 km/h slower than the 100TT I did as my main simulation) and I guess on the tracker that's all you'd be going by. That said, if you'd see the BBS pacing simulation beforehand, then I was about 1 km/h behind that. Watts were a different matter, and were well under.

But just passing through the various key points on the course reassured me I was still going to get a time in line with sub10 aspirations. So through 45k under 1hr20, through 60k in 1hr45, through halfway in under 2hr40, etc.

And as Jim said, I've learnt my lesson about pacing in the past. I knew there was little to be gained by trying to hold numbers just for the sake of it to save myself 5 minutes or so on the bike, and deep down knew sub10 would be all down to how I ran. On that front, I made a very good call. Who know, maybe I played it so conservative that I could have gone 5 minutes faster and run just as well, but definitely happy with the decision I made at the time!

Yeah, first and second in my AG were in the 8:30 mark. Less than half an hour behind the winning pro (they both beat the final pro that got paid in 10th). It got a little bit more "normal" around 3rd in my AG, with those people going c9hrs.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:
Yeah, first and second in my AG were in the 8:30 mark. Less than half an hour behind the winning pro (they both beat the final pro that got paid in 10th). It got a little bit more "normal" around 3rd in my AG, with those people going c9hrs.

It would interesting to see the training & lifestyle of those AGers that go sub-9; certainly an amazing feat for those working full time too.
stenard

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
stenard wrote:

It would interesting to see the training & lifestyle of those AGers that go sub-9; certainly an amazing feat for those working full time too.

A friend from my club went sub9 at Roth last year. There was a little Q&A with him here: http://embracesports.co.uk/qa-coach-al-going-sub9/

Ultimately Al has a pretty favourable lifestyle allowing him to train quite a lot. He's a great swimmer and runner (focusing on Otillo/swimrun this year) and would be the first to admit his biking is all about maximising what he can. I was pretty surprised when I started picking his brains on his FTP etc about how (relatively) low that was. But he took everything to the extreme for Roth in terms of aero elements, getting every little bit of kit he could and even adapting his pedalling style to be "knees in" to save drag. I actually beat him by a few seconds in a 50TT at the start of the year (although he doesn't deal well with the cold, and he still beat me 10mins on the bike at Mallorca this year, in a "non-tri" year).

His gf is also the one I mentioned that got a spot for Nice at the Zell am See aquathlon over the weekend, so no doubt helps having aligned goals there.
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A fellow TT'er (can't for the life of me remember his username now which is annoying) that i follow on Strava (JD) posted a 9.16 at Vichy on Sunday. 6th in AG (25-29) and 23rd overall which was mighty impressive! All slots went to top 3 though.

There's certainly some talent around!!!
stenard

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gingerbongo wrote:
A fellow TT'er (can't for the life of me remember his username now which is annoying) that i follow on Strava (JD) posted a 9.16 at Vichy on Sunday. 6th in AG (25-29) and 23rd overall which was mighty impressive! All slots went to top 3 though.

That's who TriSam mentioned over the page I guess?
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:
gingerbongo wrote:

That's who TriSam mentioned over the page I guess?

ah yes, that's the one (i hadn't gone back a page!!)
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was hoping for some consistency in my own training ... and i've managed that. It's just it's consistently sh!t! Very Happy

5 weeks now of 40, 20, 30, 30, 30 kms. I've not run more than 3 times in a week, but i have managed to do at least one hard session every week. I'm sort of clinging on to the hope that that one toughie is keeping me (sort of) in check, seeing as my only minor target is a 5km parkrun at the moment.

II keep trying to up the running, but work and life keep getting in the way. Still it's nice not to have any pressure and just enjoy it.

This week is looking like a carbon copy again though Mad but i may try to squeeze it back up to 40km again!!
Davem

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

with IM barca less than 6 weeks away - I did manage to get out on the bike twice over the bank holiday.

75 miles on Saturday - 40 miles yesterday.

I've swam twice in August. Both IM distance swim in 1:18 (pool) and 1:22 (OW)
also clocked 2 runs in August. 4 miles and 2 miles (Achilles issues prevent much more)

Its going to be a long slog.
jibberjim

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jibberjim wrote:
50.8km in 3:28
127km in 4:47

More missed reporting.

6 runs - 62km in 4:12
6 commute rides with extra 4:13 117km ~205AP

4 runs - 39km in 2:36
6 commute rides, 107km 3:50

6 runs - 62km in 4:03
6 commutes, 99km 3:30
1 ride 32km 189AP 215NP

Proved some more how my training pacing is so much about how fast my previous training was, a bit of fast running on the parkruns, and this last week had four sub 40minute 10km's in it, despite being no more percieved effort wise than all my equivalent runs at 4:05-4:10 pace. My HR was higher and my legs sorer afterwards clearly indicating that the actual intensity was higher.

So a good weeks running, but I've got my only cycle event of the year in two weeks, so I really should be training that...
Roscoemck

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last week..................ZERO

No motivation at all.

Got head sorted and went to the gym yesterday, woken up today with a stinking cold, that's this week's plans getting modified then Mad
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a new 735XT, so yet more widgets to play with! I can now turn-on the wrist HRM when I go to bed, and it'll measure my HR for the next 4h and I can see how low it goes. 38 Last night.

Training wise, not bad last week (just shy of 11h). Commuted in 4 days, but a family weekend away, so just 45 min of Zwift yesterday evening, despite feeling pretty jaded.
twhat

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
Got a new 735XT, so yet more widgets to play with! I can now turn-on the wrist HRM when I go to bed, and it'll measure my HR for the next 4h and I can see how low it goes. 38 Last night.

Training wise, not bad last week (just shy of 11h). Commuted in 4 days, but a family weekend away, so just 45 min of Zwift yesterday evening, despite feeling pretty jaded.

You might need to use the alarm function for some late night blood thinning cardio if that carries on...

I'm 9 days into my break from running. Sacroilliac Joint disfunction (a bad back). Scared into the break when the Osteo asked me if there were sports i liked other than running. Ironically, the break from running now means i have time for the S&C sessions i should have been doing to avoid injury. So 2 hours S&C last week, plus 2 commutes on the bike, 72km total.
Quite enjoying the bike commutes, its just a shame i'm picking it up at the wrong time of year. Swimmin' tonight Shocked
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

twhat wrote:
Jorgan wrote:

You might need to use the alarm function for some late night blood thinning cardio if that carries on...

20 years ago it would go as low as 36 when I was dozing, and I'm still here. I think it's dropped a bit recently, as I'm doing more volume with my commutes. Tbh, I've not measured RHR much for many years, except when I think I might be in a hole, and only train if it's below 50.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38, 39  Next
Page 37 of 39

Jump to: