Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Training? What training?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37 ... 42, 43, 44  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wheezy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chapeau Stenard; that's blinding! Very Happy

I reckon it will take me longer than 10 hours to read your blog. Will set aside tomorrow afternoon to read it. Great effort mate.
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to dig out the sub 10 thread and get your name on there before this site is archived for all of eternity!!! Very Happy
Buzz_

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:
Jorgan wrote:
C0ck, I hate you Wink Congratulations! I'd retire from IM now and enjoy the rest of your Triathlon days Very Happy

Thanks Jorgan. Pretty much what I have planned to be honest. I'm not sure it can really get much better.
Mungo wrote:
Sub 10.....!

Outstanding.

Cheers Mungo.

Race review is now on my blog. It's huge though. Ended up having about 4 hours in the lounge at the airport, so I kind of went to town. Plus there was the flight as well. I don't think it would be particularly interesting in plain text copied here (it probably isn't anyway!), so at least on wordpress you get some pictures to distract you!

Great write-up. You say you think you undercooked the bike, yet smashed the run. The two are possibly related! What was you BBS prediction for the bike, how much behind were you? If you say sub10 was only an outside chance, what splits were you expecting?
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:
Jorgan wrote:
C0ck, I hate you Wink Congratulations! I'd retire from IM now and enjoy the rest of your Triathlon days Very Happy

Thanks Jorgan. Pretty much what I have planned to be honest. I'm not sure it can really get much better.

You mean you don't want to try for Kona next? I mean, how hard can it be? The top 3 in your AG only went 8:29, 8:32 & 8:53 Eye Popping
stenard

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
stenard wrote:
Jorgan wrote:

You mean you don't want to try for Kona next? I mean, how hard can it be? The top 3 in your AG only went 8:29, 8:32 & 8:53 Eye Popping

Yep, exactly! Those top two were a different level, but even so, there's just no way I'm going to knock an hour off my times, even if I had the desire to dedicate that amount to training.
stenard

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gingerbongo wrote:
You need to dig out the sub 10 thread and get your name on there before this site is archived for all of eternity!!! Very Happy

Haha, good point. May well do that! Laughing
stenard

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buzz_ wrote:
Great write-up. You say you think you undercooked the bike, yet smashed the run. The two are possibly related! What was you BBS prediction for the bike, how much behind were you? If you say sub10 was only an outside chance, what splits were you expecting?

Oh, without doubt. I think I even said how during the ride I made the conscious decision to stay under the BBS target numbers as I felt any more would have been too much on that particular day.

This was the final BBS plan. It had me at 5:08 off 181 AP / 184 NP. So I ended up 10 mins slower off 163 AP / 170 NP. I still need to do some simulations to see if that's reasonable.

It was definitely "light" on power compared to the 100 mile TT I did, but then again I hadn't just swum for an hour beforehand on that. Ultimately, everything was a bit unknown in terms of how I'd react piecing it all together.

As for expected splits, I thought I could swim 1:05 on a good day, and had budgeted about 10 minutes for transitions. BBS had made me reassess what might be possible on the bike, but 5:20 still seemed punchy with a marathon to go. And that was the biggest unknown of them all ... how I would run. I liked to think I could run faster than 3:30, as 5:00/km average pace would generally be a pretty easy recovery run for me, but I just didnt know at the back end of a marathon. So all those times together had me a fraction over 10hrs, but I felt that was assuming near perfect execution on all of them. Being a first timer, I didn't want to disrespect the distance, hence considering putting it all together near perfectly as an "outside chance".
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:
Jorgan wrote:

Yep, exactly! Those top two were a different level, but even so, there's just no way I'm going to knock an hour off my times, even if I had the desire to dedicate that amount to training.

This is a big one. We can 'complain' about not standing a chance against the top people in our AGs, but ultimately, this is a hobby for most of us; and a KQ these days involves a huge amount of dedication & sacrifice that most of us are not prepared to make at the expense of other important aspects of our lives.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played with BBS before Outlaw last year, just using a free trial. It was SPOT ON! 5:22 on the day, on pretty much the power I plugged into it.

My bike was never quite good enough for sub-10 i.e. it left me too much to do on the run. Three 10:0x finishes are testament to that.
jibberjim

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job Stenard, and really well done for backing off on the bike to what you could do, I'm sure too many people chase the numbers.

Interesting on the fade on the run, I wonder if you actually went off slightly too hard, or that was a near ideal pacing for you in the situation, as you noted the pace was pretty much what you were expecting overall. Regardless you didn't completely blow so it probably doesn't matter more than a few minutes regardless.
twhat

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very well done Stenard. Havent read your report yet but i will do. Whats next ??

Training wise... i'm up to 148km of bike pedalling already this week. Thats a long way for a runner Shocked
jibberjim

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jibberjim wrote:
Running 47.3km in 3:12
Cycling 124km in 4:32 191AP

35.5km in 2:28
196km in 6:46

Very low week running, my lowest since Jan, did do parkrun, had a twinge in my glute at the start, so held back thinking I was running about 3:55's, still finished sub 19, obviously weighing right around my lightest at 71kg helped.

More cycling as Otter had some things at Box hill so twice I went out there. But a pretty hard effort up Box only got me a 5w/kg 5minutes, so well off where I've been before (done 5w/kg for over 20minutes up Tabayesco, and 6w/kg for 5 minutes) but still wasn't that terrible.

50.8km in 3:28
127km in 4:47

Low week again, parkrun was wet so I wore crappy shoes, no-one taking it out so I actually led all the way back to where the mud goes back to tarmac, whereupon I decided to see if I was fit enough to PB and accellerated up to the 3:35ish pace that I need, but I lasted barely until the lock before I realised there was no way I could do it even off a slower pace - at least not without a proper warm up / feeding / etc. etc. So then I lost 25 odd seconds to a guy who caught me in that last km but still 18:35 but again without being full on. A short 18 should be doable, but I should probably get organised enough to do only my second sub 18 ever.
stenard

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wheezy wrote:
Chapeau Stenard; that's blinding! Very Happy

I reckon it will take me longer than 10 hours to read your blog. Will set aside tomorrow afternoon to read it. Great effort mate.

Cheers mate. I did go to town a little bit. I had a serious amount of time at the airport, so kinda let loose! Thank you very much for the 9.51 donation as well. Really appreciated!

twhat wrote:
Very well done Stenard. Havent read your report yet but i will do. Whats next ??

The what next is the big question. I am in for the ETU middle distance champs in Ibiza. I already have the tri suit and it just seemed like a nice way to end the year. A few from our club are going, and I also got a spot in the aquathlon, so just an enjoyable week.

The big question is whether I sign up to Weymouth. I preemptively booked some cancellable accommodation. Nice is something I'd like to do next year, but not sure it's realistic. Thinking is just to try and utilise the current endurance and tack some power/intensity back on over the next few weeks. Legs are feeling OK, although a few sessions since last week show there is a bit of deep set fatigue when I push the intensity up a bit. At recovery effort I'm OK, but HR shoots up for anything even slightly harder. The continual alcohol consumption probably hasn't helped either! Not done a 10pt afternoon session like I did on Saturday in a loooong time! Shocked

Start of next year will be another sub3 attempt at London
TriSam

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quality race and report Stenard. I don't want to take anything away from your achievement at all because it's an amazing result, but I noticed that Cake1Me0 from this parish did something pretty spectacular this weekend in Vichy.

9:16!!
stenard

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! Was it a wetsuit swim there this year? It's normally another scorcher (one of the reasons I chose Copenhagen) so fast times there are significantly more impressive!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37 ... 42, 43, 44  Next
Page 36 of 44

Jump to: