Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Training? What training?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Davem

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mungo wrote:
Dave m

IM on 2 hours a week...... is that a typo?

Decent time too.

Imagine what you could achieve on 12?

I used to train 18-24 hours a week, peaking at 40-42 hours per week for a 10 week block. (Quin and Deca training does that for you) but thats when I had a job that allowed me to do that.

Had a major mental mojo crisis after the deca as I felt I really had nothing else to prove. Had the next two years off Tri and just ended up eating pizza / drinking beer and generally wallowing around

I now run my own IT consultancy, look after aged parents 7 days a week and really have little time to train. So yes 2-3 hours a week is all I get.

2014/15/16 I did 6 IM's in total all off average of 2-3 hours per week (some weeks zero, some weeks 5)

My PB is 11:00:30 (Barca 2009) My PW is 15:21 (Lanzo 2015 but did break my collarbone on the bike and lost 2 circa 2 hours waiting for a new front wheel and getting stitched up in T2) - my mean average is 12:45ish (excluding the multi day stuff)

I dont set the world alight - but still enjoy lining up and testing myself - which for me is what its all about.
TriSam

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davem wrote:
My PW is 15:21 (Lanzo 2015 but did break my collarbone on the bike and lost 2 circa 2 hours waiting for a new front wheel and getting stitched up in T2) - my mean average is 12:45ish

Being a total hardman, and certified nutcase probably also helps!
Roscoemck

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm determined to do Edinburgh 70.3 next year but right now, I've no idea how it's all going to come together.

Currently focusing on Glasgow Half Marathon in October, building up my long runs nicely. Current longest is 11 miles at around 9 minute mile pace. Also doing another 3 runs per week, 3, 5 and 4.

Cycling, need more focus. Turbo once a week, long ride Sunday 2-2.5 hours around 30 miles.

Swimming, let's not go there. Weakest of the lot and struggling to get into it.

I know I've got 11 months to get ready, but the point is, I'm knackered! Did 8 hours training last week, this week it looks like it's going to be around 6. After the long run and long ride, I'm done in. Can't see how I'm going to ride 56 miles/4 hours then launch into a half marathon.

After October I'm looking to train each discipline 3 times a week. That's 9 hours.

How on earth do you guys consistently put in the hours and recover?

Long post, but having a confidence crisis!
explorerJC

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roscoemck wrote:
I'm determined to do Edinburgh 70.3 next year but right now, I've no idea how it's all going to come together.

Currently focusing on Glasgow Half Marathon in October, building up my long runs nicely. Current longest is 11 miles at around 9 minute mile pace. Also doing another 3 runs per week, 3, 5 and 4.

Cycling, need more focus. Turbo once a week, long ride Sunday 2-2.5 hours around 30 miles.

I know I've got 11 months to get ready, but the point is, I'm knackered! Did 8 hours training last week, this week it looks like it's going to be around 6. After the long run and long ride, I'm done in. Can't see how I'm going to ride 56 miles/4 hours then launch into a half marathon.

After October I'm looking to train each discipline 3 times a week. That's 9 hours.

perhaps you are expecting too much....other than the long run, what else do you do with your running sessions?

What do you do on your turbo session?

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
twhat

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the best part of a year to go... after your half, why not concentrate on your weakness for 6 months, let the other 2 tick over and get your swimming up to scratch?
I cant claim to know enough about cycling to comment but i think you will find the cross-training benefits of swimming to running are excellent.
Roscoemck

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
Roscoemck wrote:

perhaps you are expecting too much....other than the long run, what else do you do with your running sessions?

Monday is a 3 mile easy run as the legs are always stiff from the weekend. Tuesday is 5 miles at a steady pace, usually around 8.5mm. Thursday is 5 miles Fartlek.

This morning was an interval session where I did 8 x 30 second intervals with 90 seconds rest.

I've got all the information I need, I really need to get it down on paper as a structured plan. Feels disjointed just now.
stenard

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clearly if you are doing a half marathon, you need to have a running focus right now, but in general that is the most physically taxing part of training and the area I am personally more relaxed about dropping if I am feeling drained.

As twhat suggests, swimming is actually the area I am most diligent in and I would recommend the same. It's not my strength, altho with some work I've now got to a very reasonable standard, but the benefits of being swim fit are multiple. In race terms, you finish the swim much fresher, so that makes the rest of the day much easier. And in training terms, it's quick to recover from, basically zero impact on the body, and I've also always found my oxygen efficiency is massively improved by swimming. Having to be disciplined with breathing in the water has noticeable knock on benefits to my cycling and running.

This summer, I have predominately focused on the bike. Lot's of turbo work at what trainerroad call supra-threshold levels, so just above FTP but not really VO2max. They've left me tired, but as it's low impact, I can still continue to train even on the tired legs. It's only one of those sessions per week though, the rest is more endurance based.

As I said, running has taken a back seat. But the other disciplines mean I can still string a run together. I did Cotswold Classic on Sunday, and despite no single run of more than 8k since the Cotswold 113 in June when I was coming off marathon run fitness, I managed to run the HM only 20s slower, having averaged 18 watts more on the bike, about 8.5% more power output than in June. So that shows, for me at least, how training the other areas can still mean my run holds up. In reality, I probably need to find more of a balance, but after London marathon in April, I've just been a little demotivated for long running - I've focused on shorter stuff and knocked nearly a minute off my 5k time.

I would suggest you focus on your HM for now, and then for the winter predominately put your time towards swim and bike, with the odd run here and there. You also have to understand if you're just starting out, the physical toll of going from nothing to 6hrs is massive. It's the same kind of thing when people say couch to 5k is probably the bigger jump than 5k to marathon. Stick with it (but dont overdo it!) and over time, your body will adapt and be able to train more and more.
Roscoemck

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers chaps, as always, really good advice
SGreg

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roscoemck wrote:
Can't see how I'm going to ride 56 miles/4 hours then launch into a half marathon.

No, you won't be able to get your head round that.

But don't worry. It's basically impossible to imagine.

I am still the same after countless Tri's and 6 IM

I'm still this year finishing my long bikes thinking ~#*$ I can't do a single thing other than collapse. How the hell am I going to run a MARA.

There is no answer to this. You just do.

On the day, you just rack your bike and get running. Basically It's all in you head. Your body is more than capable, your brain just tricks you into thinking you can't.

On the day that goes away, you will probably be thinking it in the last 5-6 miles of the bike but once its racked just slip on your shoes and away you go. Within 3 miles you will have forgotten you were ever on a bike.

Just do the training and trust in it, on the day it WILL come together.

And finally these wobbles are normal/usual/you would be weird if you didn't have them.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roscoemck wrote:
explorerJC wrote:
Roscoemck wrote:

Monday is a 3 mile easy run as the legs are always stiff from the weekend. Tuesday is 5 miles at a steady pace, usually around 8.5mm. Thursday is 5 miles Fartlek.

This morning was an interval session where I did 8 x 30 second intervals with 90 seconds rest.

I've got all the information I need, I really need to get it down on paper as a structured plan. Feels disjointed just now.

to structure a plan...work out where you are now and where you need to be and create a progressive plan using the principles of training and appropriate components of fitness

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Davem

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a plan. Now that's what I need.

I have no excuse. Endless Pool is now back up and running. Work from home Mondays and Fridays. Saturday the OH is at work all day.

Yet I struggle to get out and run or bike. I did my longest run since September 2016 last week (all of 5 miles!)

Longest bike this year is still in the 40 mile area. Only getting out once a fortnight.

I did have the sense to bin the Outlaw this year - I wouldn't have got round the bike.
Mungo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2.5 hours on a watt bike at @ HR 157 BPM. 226 watt
1 min rest
1.33 Half Marathon t mill @ 1%.

Plan finished.

Roll on next weekend.
Roscoemck

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mungo wrote:
1 min rest

Plan finished.

Roll on next weekend.

Chapeau!
Tin Pot

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mungo wrote:
1 min rest

Plan finished.

Roll on next weekend.

Sweet
Sprint '16 1h17, '14 1h40, '13 2h01
Half Mara '16 2h04, '14 2h07
10 Mile TT '16 00:26:30
Trail 10K '16 54:01 '13 54:46
Mungo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything but Tinpot......
It was the end of a tough five day block.

That said it didnt feel too bad and the hard work is done.

I may do a sprint next year... an Olympic and a half.

Sprint training is easy just flat out for an hour.... NOT.

I was on for the hour once 400/20/5... ended up 90 secs shy as I blew completely half way through the bike.

Your splits are decent... your a much better swimmer than me, your run can improve?
Weight ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: