Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Training? What training?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 43, 44, 45 ... 58, 59, 60  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Poet

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Age about right, I'm aiming for a three year build phase, probably do a branded IM in 2020 (Tenby) as a practice for a good go at one in 2021 (thinking Barca, or some other draft-fest), then bow out (again) in 2022. (Bolton)

Ah, the M45-49 AG; the preserve of the £10k bike riding triathlon elite Wink
I recall a certain former TTer doing particularly well in that AG...

RE: Beaver (Belvoir) - I clocked it 200m short (20.9km)
I swam a 29:02, a lot of the 33 includes the insane 450m run up to T1 out of the murky water. It was more of a crawl than a swim.

I snapped my chain on the bike leg.
Walked barefoot 4km back to transition, where a kind spectating TTer helped me out with their chain - so I span round the second lap.
Meant I was super fresh for the run.

Mile splits were:
5:59, 6:06, 5:33, 5:55, 6:36, 5:44, 6:15, 6:57, 6:14, 6:59, 8:25 , 7:30 and 6:08

8:25 and 7:30 splits were to let an ambulance past and it started absolutely bucketing it down, making the grass parts super sketchy.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You ran a 5:33 mile in there...really?!
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeffB wrote:
gingerbongo wrote:
I've managed to put 3 weeks of wattbike work together now, pretty much 5 hrs per week, 1 hr per day before work.

A large bunch of my friends are currently on a 'test' running camp for one of the guys that will be offering it as part of his business to the general public next year in the mountains of Costa Blanca. With the birth of the little one, i couldn't go anyway , but the frustration of being injured and seeing all the running/scambling/climbing etc they're up to is killing me!! I'm experiencing ridiculous levels of FOMO!!!

Decided on the weekend i was just going to bite the bullet and start running this week. Had my follow up physio appt yesterday and was told unequivocally not to run yet! Great! There's a lot of secondary issues going on from my injury and she has now referred me on to an Osteo for some mechanical manipulation, as the muscular stuff isn't quite getting there. Long list of issues that need to be cleared before i cause other problems by running again!

So 'Training - What Training?' definitely fits!!

I'll stick to another month's membership at the gym, as it's super convenient. That should take me up to Xmas, hopefully with a nice and consistent 7/8 weeks worth of 4/5 hrs a week. I'll try to get outside on the bike if i can occasionally as well. Commute is an hour each way if i want to do that. Flat and boring though, with a million gates, crossings etc. I'd probs use that as a longer recovery day and do all my 'sessions' on TR.

Hopefully by the time i'm back running i'll have a semblance of fitness and strength. I'm picking and choosing from the TR workouts, and have landed on a bit of a pattern - Over unders, Sweetspot, Recovery, VO2 max, Sweetspot - for my 5 day pattern. Though today i'm actually going outside at lunchtime! Though my bike is knackered and still has the racing slicks from the last time it was used 'properly' at Cotswolds 113 in 2015!! Very Happy Very Happy

Sorry for the rant ... but it's been 9 weeks now and it's driving me insane!!!!!!!

With these bike sessions I reckon your 5k time won't be far off when you start running again.

It's horrible being injured though, not helped when you see your mates on a running holiday.

Jeff

I do hope so! I've no plans for the immediate future, but would like to be back running for January. Then maybe a strong build and a crack at a late March 20 odd mile local trail race and then another few months into the Jurassic Coast 100km, this time running it properly.

the biking however has tickled a spot, and i would like to get back into tri's - particularly a decent half i think. Longish race but won't hopefully need crazy hours to train. Though this will likley be in 2020 when the baby is a bit older.
Muriel

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:

Suicide pace Surprised
Poet.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muriel wrote:
Jorgan wrote:

Suicide pace Surprised

That was my 5k pace at the time, I was just having a laugh, as my race was over.

1st mile flat, 2nd mile slightly uphill, 3rd mile downhill, then there's some flat
then repeat.
each lap is 5.25km, dropped off in the second lap - third lap was delayed due to emergency services.
JeffB

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gingerbongo wrote:

I do hope so! I've no plans for the immediate future, but would like to be back running for January. Then maybe a strong build and a crack at a late March 20 odd mile local trail race and then another few months into the Jurassic Coast 100km, this time running it properly.

the biking however has tickled a spot, and i would like to get back into tri's - particularly a decent half i think. Longish race but won't hopefully need crazy hours to train. Though this will likley be in 2020 when the baby is a bit older.

If you are anywhere near North Yorkshire in March you can take one half of the 50 miler I've signed up for and am frankly terrified about, I might even consider doing some training at some point!

Steady on with the triathlon plans, Jorgan is looking for smackdowns Laughing, he's in my age group next year, but I'm moving on up the year after Sad M50, WTF

Jeff
JeffB

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been in the Lake District this weekend with the running\drinking club.

Managed 29k on Saturday with about 1400M ascent, including Helvellyn and some great descents.

Relatively easy 14k\540M today, much slower, was really stiff and groin was a bit sore.

Typically, after some fun on the descents I managed to turn my ankle again (did it last week as well) on a flat\rocky section as I'd stopped paying attention. Shouldn't be too bad but they do linger a few weeks.

Not much biking ATM, struggling to get my head around going out in winter kit even though this weekend was nice. Swimming is just ticking over.

Jeff
Muriel

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeffB wrote:
Been in the Lake District this weekend with the running\drinking club.

Managed 29k on Saturday with about 1400M ascent, including Helvellyn and some great descents.

Relatively easy 14k\540M today, much slower, was really stiff and groin was a bit sore.

Jeff

Basically flat running then. Twisted Evil Sounds awesome up there.

As per my off-season plans post, motivation had taken a little hit after just trying to be consistent and lose some weight since March. It's worked. And my motivation came back with a bang last week for two reasons:

1) my best pal got into Norseman so I'm going as the support.
2) I got into Swissman, which is just about as bucket list as it gets. Well apart from Hispaman.

So now I'm doing zero training and frantically reading more gumph than the gumph I was already reading before about both races. Fortunately I've got a few BLL pals who I can tap into for info.

My training began like this:

I took the stairs to my office floor for the first time in I dont know how long today. I'll also do a 30 min run at lunch. Surprised
Chrace

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 weeks ago I was on holiday, not doing much.
2 weeks ago I just couldn't get in gear. Lots of work catch-up after the holiday.
Last week I had a major cold and did nothing.
This week I'm still recovering but should be ok by Wednesday/Thursday or so.

On Saturday I am off on a reccie of the full eXtreme X run course with 2600m ascent across 2x Fairfield and 2x Helvellyn. At night.

#WhatCouldPossiblyGoWrong.
stenard

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally had a proper week back of full training. CTL numbers are still so so low, but I'm feeling surprisingly decent. Race day in three weeks will be rather illuminating as to how the fitness numbers really matter however.

7 days of training this last week...
3 swims, 7.5k, 2hrs
4 turbo sessions, 4hrs (90mins of that over 2 sessions were just pre-run warm ups however)
4 runs, 55k, 4hrs15

CTL ended the week at 83. I was over 20 points higher three weeks out from my early season 70.3, and 40 points higher the same time before the full distance.
FatPom

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

went for a 2hr easy run this morning. My longest since IM Wales, covered 21.6kms. ouch Exclamation
Roscoemck

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much better week for consistency, if not overall time. 2 runs, 2 bikes and a couple of sessions at the gym.

Local pool closed until new year.

This week, target 3 runs and 3 bikes.
Tri'ing Swimmer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Started ‘training’ October, so November was a month for creating a plan for 2019 and for establishing consistency. Still doesn’t sound much compared to some of you guys, but I’m happy with it compared to myself

Swim 16.5
Bike 398
Run 90km

Nearly all Z2. Bike is biggest weakness so where I need to work, shifted to mostly indoors this month and includes first FTP test for 18 months. Did 20 minutes and attempted ramp test for first time, and got similar results from both so feel have somewhere to work from.

Total volumes for the month from more frequent shorter sessions rather than hero days. December & January aim is slight build volume but slowly beconing more focused.

Tri'ing Swimmer wrote:
October totals:
Swim 15,300
Bike 445km
Run 81km

Scariest thing today! Twisted Evil lots more to do.
jibberjim

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stopped updating this...

Failed in my goal set a year ago, of 25km running a week at least 1000kj ride and something every day. However it was only the 1000kj ride that defeated me, and it was only in the last week of the year when I had a week of no rides (commutes normally giving me at least something!) I also did way more running, with at least 200km every month

End of year totals:

Running: 310 runs 2805.2km 198 hours 57 minutes
Cycling: 6780km 290 hours - way too much of it commuting.

Swimming - maybe about 20 (25m) lengths all together...

Need to decide if I'm going to keep up with the same targets this year or not.

Last edited by jibberjim on Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Whisk

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jibberjim wrote:
End of year totals:

Running: 310 runs 285.2km 198 hours 57 minutes

Either your runs were very short (and slow), or you've missed a digit out of that total Wink Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 43, 44, 45 ... 58, 59, 60  Next
Page 44 of 60

Jump to: