Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
11 speed Ultegra cassettes for 10 speed wheels / freehubs
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Woolie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject: 11 speed Ultegra cassettes for 10 speed wheels / freehubs Reply with quote

Ultegra 11 speed, 11-23 , 11-25, or 11-28 cassettes, to suit 10 speed wheels

Particularly suitable for Zipp 900 disc, where freehub can't be exchanged, but will obviously fit other freehub bodies too.

Seamless, quality shifting guaranteed.

All ex stock.

85 posted (UK mainland)

PM me for further details if posting to elsewhere
JimboP

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

are you just machining the back off them or is there more magic to it?
Chrace

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimboP wrote:

I was puzzled as well. I have been told that the new wider cassettes require a wider axle than a 9/10-speed wheel, not something that can be corrected at cassette level without rather interesting modifications for the external most cog(s).
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He would have been flamed for spam in the old days Very Happy Sounds like an interesting mod though, and would suit me as I have a Zipp 900 disc.

Chances of me going 11 speed still way off I think, and it will happen when I make the wholesale jump to a new bike. The question then remains whether I move to clinchers or keep my 4 Zipp tubular wheels rolling on.
Whisk

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrace wrote:
JimboP wrote:

I was puzzled as well. I have been told that the new wider cassettes require a wider axle than a 9/10-speed wheel, not something that can be corrected at cassette level without rather interesting modifications for the external most cog(s).

Edco get round this by making a monobloc cassette from a single piece of metal and then using a lock-ring with an extra long thread. These folks seem to be saying that they can do it with Ultegra cassettes, so maybe they are fixing the smaller, loose sprockets together somehow so that the cassette can extend out beyond the freehub body?
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given the low cost of the cassettes, I'd imagine it's not a labour intensive process; so I'm going with machining.
Woolie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok folks, so first, many thanks for all the responses.

To be clear, these are genuine Ultegra cassettes, not copies. They are not attached together like the EDCO cassette, and they will give exactly the same quality shifting that you expect from a high end Shimano system.
The EDCO cassette, whilst resolving your problem, is, as someone stated, all one piece, so replacing individual gears, should the need arise, is not possible. I'm also given to understand that the EDCO does not offer the same shifting quality as the Shimano.

I have supplied these to many top time-trialists in the UK over the last 2 seasons, many of whom are regular 19 min men, and some of whom have the power to use enormous 65 tooth chainrings, and to date, I have had no negative feedback whatsoever.
All riders report that it works seamlessly, and without any further modification to the wheel, freehub, spokes, etc, etc. In almost all cases, it it not necessary even to reset the rear mech Hi/Lo screws when swapping from an 11 speed wheel, to a 10 speed wheel with one of my cassettes.

As for how it's done, I'm not about to say on a public forum. All I will say is, if it doesn't work, I will refund you 100% immediately, and take the cassette back. I can sell these as fast as I can post them!

Oh, and one further point. If you wish, at any time, to use this cassette on an 11 speed freehub, you can do just that, without any modification.

If you want one, just let me know.
JimboP

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, definitely just machining. 40 is a decent earner for a few mins work. ;P
Obviously need access to the lathe in the first place though.

I keep meaning to get around to having one done for my stinger disc but made do with dropping a cog up til now.

http://darkspeedworks.com/blog-11speed.htm
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimboP wrote:

I keep meaning to get around to having one done for my stinger disc but made do with dropping a cog up til now.

Someone else still invested in Tubs!
JimboP

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
Someone else still invested in Tubs!

#tubs4life
Woolie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing to do with a lathe at all.!

Smile
DarkSpeedWorks

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimboP wrote:
Yep, definitely just machining. 40 is a decent earner for a few mins work. ;P
Obviously need access to the lathe in the first place though.

http://darkspeedworks.com/blog-11speed.htm

If it helps, while we're not in the business of modifying cassettes, the blog page you linked to above has been updated to also include some info about some modified cassettes that I have tested, and how they can extend the service life of your 10-speed race or training wheels. The modified cassettes are 11-speed cassettes that have 1.85mm of material machined from their back sides, which makes them compatible with essentially all 8/9/10 speed wheels.

Greg @ darkspeedworks
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 1mm spacer on my DA7800 cassette on a Zipp 900 (10 speed) wheel; so I'd imagine in that case only 0.85mm needs to be shaved off? That said, I wonder if the cassette would rub against the hub body in that case. I get the impression that Ultegra cassettes are a different design, hence why people use those for conversion projects? I have both but have never held them side-by-side to compare.
DarkSpeedWorks

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
I have a 1mm spacer on my DA7800 cassette on a Zipp 900 (10 speed) wheel; so I'd imagine in that case only 0.85mm needs to be shaved off? That said, I wonder if the cassette would rub against the hub body in that case. I get the impression that Ultegra cassettes are a different design, hence why people use those for conversion projects? I have both but have never held them side-by-side to compare.

No, that is not correct, the required spacer behind your 7800 cassette makes the 10-speed cassette equivalent in width to previous generation 8 and 9 speed shimano cassettes. So, if you need to put an 11-speed shimano cassette on a 8/9/10 speed wheel, 1.85mm needs to be milled off back of the 11-speed cassette.

On your other questions, I think most of the cassette modders prefer Ultegra over DA because on the new 11-speed cassettes the big cog carrier spider on Ultegra cassettes is a bit thicker than the one on DA cassettes. Also, with unmodified DA cassettes having had a less than stellar reliability record, some riders are less likely to want use them at all. But there might be other reasons as well.

About rubbing, the answer here is: it depends. I know that the cassette milling mod will NOT work with an 11-23 ultegra cassette if used on any generation of zipp 10 speed rear hub. However, it WILL work with an 11-25 cassette and the same zipp hubs. In this case, the issue is that the "spokes" of the cog carriers for the 23T cog get way too close the hub body. But for the 25T (and bigger) there is plenty of clearance.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by DarkSpeedWorks on Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:23 pm; edited 3 times in total
Buzz_

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick google suggest my 2012 Mavic Cosmic Carbone SLs are 11 speed compatible. Anyone know if that is the case?

--
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: