Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Does training lower your sex drive? - press query
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
phil r writer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:36 pm    Post subject: Does training lower your sex drive? - press query Reply with quote

Hello,

My name is Phil Robinson.  I'm a journalist putting together a piece for a broadsheet newspaper in the UK.  I hope you don't find this post intrusive but I have a pressing deadline.

I am writing a health piece triggered by a new medical study in the US that indicates that athletes in endurance sports suffer from a lower libido.  No one seems to be sure exactly why this happens, but it seems to be a recognisable effect.

Story  is here: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/22/well/move/men-is-exercise-putting-a-damper-on-your-sex-life.html?_r=0

I just wondered if any of you had experiences that chimed with this and would be willing to chat about it? If so either post here or PM me, it would be much appreciated and I could keep you anon if required. I think it's good for blokes in general to talk about this stuff!

Best,

Phil
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one is sure exactly why? I'm pretty sure there are plenty of academic papers out there that discuss the physiological affects of long-term endurance exercise. So for the 'experts' to be scratching their heads at this result seems a little disappointing.

Tbh, I just Googled you, and I'm loathed to give you any more pointers. Best you do your own spade work; try not to make up to much biased nonsense.
KingstonGraham

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Ron about?
TriSam

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he's currently "otherwise engaged"
Jgav

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the Daily Fail now going to do a exercise is good for you exercise is bad for you cycle (a-la the red wine debate) running on for years?
phil r writer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Jorgan"

Tbh, I just Googled you, and I'm loathed to give you any more pointers. Best you do your own spade work; try not to make up to much biased nonsense.

[/quote]

I've been working for twenty years in national newspapers and magazines, and written two novels. I have no complaints about me anywhere. Do you have evidence for this statement?

Also, I'm looking for examples of people's personal experiences to run alongside quotes from medical practitioners. This is good practice and presents the whole picture.

Thanks for the lessons on journalism though.
phil r writer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jgav wrote:
Is the Daily Fail now going to do a exercise is good for you exercise is bad for you cycle (a-la the red wine debate) running on for years?

Hello, it's a health piece for broadsheet.
Thing of the Fountains

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Jorgan skips one session he's like a sailor on shore leave. If he skips two sessions they alert the local nursing homes.

You can quote me on that Wink
Gus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thing of the Fountains wrote:
If Jorgan skips one session he's like a sailor on shore leave. If he skips two sessions they alert the local nursing homes.

You can quote me on that Wink

Oh dear God. I can see the Daily Mail's Saturday headline:

Quote:
Triathlete perversion shocker: Does triath-a-lon turn men into kinky perverts?.

Well, it does for me at least.

snigger.

My 15 minutes of fame
hammerer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how the fuck does anyone have any time for a bit of love muffin, what with type A traffleets working 60 hour weeks to pay for their 15k Cervelo P5x and a 30hr a week training schedule they'll not even have time to knock one out. FFS
explorerJC

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your title and that of the original piece are different..i haven't read the story, but i'd tighten that up for starters, unless the science is equally vague....additionally, you ought to define endurance or you will risk being too unspecific...

The key thing is that testosterone levels fluctuate according to volume, intensity, timing, periodisation of micro and meso cycles, and a whole host of other factors......it's use in developing force production capabilities are well researched as well as in bone development and obviously its need for libido...

To be valid, the research will have to identify what is a normal sex drive which is difficult due to over reporting in surveys, as is over reporting of exercise...it would also have to review pre training levels and account for age increases, reduction in fitness and familiarity of partner etc...it would probably be a complex piece of science to write well....

As for the reply to Jorgan...if you have been a journalist for 20 years and have accumulated no complaints, then perhaps you haven't been working hard enough Smile

i will look out for both the paper (scientific) and the paper (rag)...sorry, broadsheet... Smile

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
phil r writer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
Your title and that of the original piece are different..i haven't read the story, but i'd tighten that up for starters, unless the science is equally vague....additionally, you ought to define endurance or you will risk being too unspecific...

The key thing is that testosterone levels fluctuate according to volume, intensity, timing, periodisation of micro and meso cycles, and a whole host of other factors......it's use in developing force production capabilities are well researched as well as in bone development and obviously its need for libido...

To be valid, the research will have to identify what is a normal sex drive which is difficult due to over reporting in surveys, as is over reporting of exercise...it would also have to review pre training levels and account for age increases, reduction in fitness and familiarity of partner etc...it would probably be a complex piece of science to write well....

As for the reply to Jorgan...if you have been a journalist for 20 years and have accumulated no complaints, then perhaps you haven't been working hard enough Smile

i will look out for both the paper (scientific) and the paper (rag)...sorry, broadsheet... Smile

The link I've given is to a piece that also covers the same research. That's not my piece. Basically, I can't post the paper as it's not been released yet and it's not my copyright.

On the study: It has been well received by the scientific community, and published in a highly reputable journal.

I've spoken to the report authors. It concerns mostly endurance athletes and triathletes hence posting on this forum.

As I said I am just interested in speaking to guys who have trained a great deal for a long duration of time and might report the symptom of lower sex drive. Naturally this is based on their own experience of their sex drive changing over the duration of their athletic life.

Best,

Phil
explorerJC

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phil r writer wrote:
explorerJC wrote:

The link I've given is to a piece that also covers the same research. That's not my piece. Basically, I can't post the paper as it's not been released yet and it's not my copyright.

On the study: It has been well received by the scientific community, and published in a highly reputable journal.

I've spoken to the report authors. It concerns mostly endurance athletes and triathletes hence posting on this forum.

As I said I am just interested in speaking to guys who have trained a great deal for a long duration of time and might report the symptom of lower sex drive. Naturally this is based on their own experience of their sex drive changing over the duration of their athletic life.

Best,

Phil

i will rephrase - the query and that of the original research are different...

A point to note is that the scientific community nearly always receive the scientific community well...they have a vested interest...and if the paper has not been released then the greater community are yet to access it.....I have just read the abstract...unsurprisingly, it is a little vague...

endurance athlete may be a definitive term, but the way in which endurance athletes (including triathletes) train varies tremendously (spend a couple of hours on the training page to learn more)...

i don't know anyone who has not been fatigued by a long period of arduous training (endurance or otherwise), therefore the results don't surprise me that this impacts on motivation for other activities...

Again, i don't think i have ever met anyone whose sex drive didn't change throughout their life (athletic or otherwise)...so, again, the results are not surprising...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
hammerer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I blame the immigrants, coming over 'ere stealing our sex drive. Perhaps the fail can spin that one out for the EU haters. You could call it 'Sexit' . Have that one on me.
phil r writer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hammerer wrote:
I blame the immigrants, coming over 'ere stealing our sex drive. Perhaps the fail can spin that one out for the EU haters. You could call it 'Sexit' . Have that one on me.

ha ha, Sexit is v good. i can think of some papers that would work in!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: