Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Does training lower your sex drive? - press query
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
phil r writer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
Your title and that of the original piece are different..i haven't read the story, but i'd tighten that up for starters, unless the science is equally vague....additionally, you ought to define endurance or you will risk being too unspecific...

The key thing is that testosterone levels fluctuate according to volume, intensity, timing, periodisation of micro and meso cycles, and a whole host of other factors......it's use in developing force production capabilities are well researched as well as in bone development and obviously its need for libido...

To be valid, the research will have to identify what is a normal sex drive which is difficult due to over reporting in surveys, as is over reporting of exercise...it would also have to review pre training levels and account for age increases, reduction in fitness and familiarity of partner etc...it would probably be a complex piece of science to write well....

As for the reply to Jorgan...if you have been a journalist for 20 years and have accumulated no complaints, then perhaps you haven't been working hard enough Smile

i will look out for both the paper (scientific) and the paper (rag)...sorry, broadsheet... Smile

I think they had a mathematical model that dealt with quantifying sex drive. Beyond my understanding but they again are reputable academics and they do this for a living with peer review etc.

I have spoken to a senior medical Professor with 30 years of experience. He says he is used to having amateur athletes in his male health clinic, reporting symptoms of low testosterone, and the issue is more complex than is widely understood. But what isn't? He tells me that libido issues and extreme exercise are linked in his long experience. So its not just this new report. There you go!

Once again, if anyone does feel they'd like to add their wisdom/experience to the story - anon if desired - do drop me a pm!

Best,

Phil
explorerJC

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phil r writer wrote:
explorerJC wrote:
Your title and that of the original piece are different..i haven't read the story, but i'd tighten that up for starters, unless the science is equally vague....additionally, you ought to define endurance or you will risk being too unspecific...

The key thing is that testosterone levels fluctuate according to volume, intensity, timing, periodisation of micro and meso cycles, and a whole host of other factors......it's use in developing force production capabilities are well researched as well as in bone development and obviously its need for libido...

To be valid, the research will have to identify what is a normal sex drive which is difficult due to over reporting in surveys, as is over reporting of exercise...it would also have to review pre training levels and account for age increases, reduction in fitness and familiarity of partner etc...it would probably be a complex piece of science to write well....

As for the reply to Jorgan...if you have been a journalist for 20 years and have accumulated no complaints, then perhaps you haven't been working hard enough Smile

i will look out for both the paper (scientific) and the paper (rag)...sorry, broadsheet... Smile

I think they had a mathematical model that dealt with quantifying sex drive. Beyond my understanding but they again are reputable academics and they do this for a living with peer review etc.

I have spoken to a senior medical Professor with 30 years of experience. He says he is used to having amateur athletes in his male health clinic, reporting symptoms of low testosterone, and the issue is more complex than is widely understood. But what isn't? He tells me that libido issues and extreme exercise are linked in his long experience. So its not just this new report. There you go!

Once again, if anyone does feel they'd like to add their wisdom/experience to the story - anon if desired - do drop me a pm!

Best,

Phil

Yep, it's nothing new...

again, i wouldn't put peer review as a recommendation for any paper, its very design tends to restrict innovative work and is driven by vested interest...it remains one of the bigger flaws of academia...

I think the fact that your senior medical professor is fully aware suggests that this will neither be news to the sporting world nor the general endurance public...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
explorerJC

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i should add that I have years of n=1 data from a range of athletes across a number of sports...and without breaking medical confidence, they are right in one sense and wrong in another...hence mentioning periodisation above...

FoulOleRon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, not training has more of a negative impact on my libido. When I am regularly training I am like a rat up a drain pipe (where the rat in this example is my purple headed love warrior, and the drainpipe the slightly unfortunate euphemism for MrsFoul's secret pathway behind the wonderful bush in the ladygarden).

I do find that DOMS does have an impact on variety of position. Sore calfs and thighs from running can make my swan dive from the wardrobe patented mount quite tricky.

Happy to shed more light if needed. I have a number of webcams set up around the house, and can provide the link to the pay-per-view site if needed.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FoulOleRon wrote:

I have a number of webcams set up around the house, and can provide the link to the pay-per-view site if needed.

i thought the House of lords and BBC Light entertainment had bought the rights??

Gus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FoulOleRon wrote:
For me, not training has more of a negative impact on my libido. When I am regularly training I am like a rat up a drain pipe (where the rat in this example is my purple headed love warrior, and the drainpipe the slightly unfortunate euphemism for MrsFoul's secret pathway behind the wonderful bush in the ladygarden).

I do find that DOMS does have an impact on variety of position. Sore calfs and thighs from running can make my swan dive from the wardrobe patented mount quite tricky.

Happy to shed more light if needed. I have a number of webcams set up around the house, and can provide the link to the pay-per-view site if needed.

Never lets us down. Wink

My 15 minutes of fame
explorerJC

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gus wrote:
FoulOleRon wrote:

Never lets us down. Wink

that's not what MrsFoul says...

Tahr

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well as somebody who has been involved in endurance sport for 20 years I can only say that my sex drive went up when the wife got into endurance sport as well, as now she looks well more hotter. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Fitness forged in the furnace of competition.
Thing of the Fountains

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Jorgan misses three sessions, farmers bring their sheep down from the fells and undertakers employ nightwatchmen.
Roscoemck

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exercise hasn't affected it but a dodgy prostate and high blood pressure meds have had a negative effect! Mad
Thing of the Fountains

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tahr please can you post some pictures of your missus for Roscoemck's benefit?

I promise not to look
ed_m

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phil r writer wrote:

As I said I am just interested in speaking to guys who have trained a great deal for a long duration of time and might report the symptom of lower sex drive. Naturally this is based on their own experience of their sex drive changing over the duration of their athletic life.

Best,

Phil

So you're only interested in talking to guys who back up the outcomes of the research / article ?.... nice.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ed_m wrote:
phil r writer wrote:

As I said I am just interested in speaking to guys who have trained a great deal for a long duration of time and might report the symptom of lower sex drive. Naturally this is based on their own experience of their sex drive changing over the duration of their athletic life.

Best,

Phil

So you're only interested in talking to guys who back up the outcomes of the research / article ?.... nice.

Well it wouldn't be a story otherwise. The Sun has already published something similar a while back. All this will do is have men needlessly pestered by their partners to curb their active hobby, for absolutely no reason in the vast majority of cases.

A classic case of confirmation bias.
Tin Pot

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phil r writer wrote:
explorerJC wrote:

The link I've given is to a piece that also covers the same research. That's not my piece. Basically, I can't post the paper as it's not been released yet and it's not my copyright.

On the study: It has been well received by the scientific community, and published in a highly reputable journal.

I've spoken to the report authors. It concerns mostly endurance athletes and triathletes hence posting on this forum.

Best,

Phil

Not noticed any reduction until I was doing up to 4hrs/day and around 12hrs per week. Even then it's hard to say if it was a primary or secondary effect, the training or the fatigue. One of the diagnostic elements for low T is a lack of morning glory, but when you roll out of bed at 05:00 and are on the road by 05:30 for two hours your body hasn't had a chance has it? And when you rock back in in the evening falling asleep while you're eating dinner...well.
Sprint '16 1h17, '14 1h40, '13 2h01
Half Mara '16 2h04, '14 2h07
10 Mile TT '16 00:26:30
Trail 10K '16 54:01 '13 54:46
Tahr

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thing of the Fountains wrote:
Tahr please can you post some pictures of your missus for Roscoemck's benefit?

I promise not to look

The only issue might be is what you find "hot" when over 50 might not quite be what Roscoemck would find hot. Smile

Fitness forged in the furnace of competition.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: