Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Power meter, narrowed it down to two

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dairic

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:05 am    Post subject: Power meter, narrowed it down to two Reply with quote

Hi, I'm after a power meter. Mainly for tt bike but ideally I would like to transfer it between tt and road bike.
Quarq d zero for 600 then 130 ish for oval rings or garmin vectors for same money. I know the vectors are supposed to be easily removed but would I really swap them over a few times through the year, as I've heard they can be quite fiddly due to crows foot adapted and torque, would this cause issues with calibration, constant removal and fitting?
cheers
jibberjim

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

why did you reject what are many better options? As the things that made you choose to reject those, will hopefully narrow down between those two.
dairic

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jibberjim wrote:
why did you reject what are many better options? As the things that made you choose to reject those, will hopefully narrow down between those two.

What in your opinion is a better option?
Price is a big factor.
Cheers
jibberjim

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dairic wrote:
jibberjim wrote:

What in your opinion is a better option?
Price is a big factor.

In terms of pretty much equivalent information/location etc.
Power2max better than Quarq
P1's better than vectors (due to ease of installation, but if you've already got torque wrench etc. then the cost would fall down just, but that just points even more back to using a p2max or a quarq.)
stenard

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You want to transfer between bikes, but then worry about ease of installation of vector? Swapping a crank based PM is a lot more effort than pedals.

As Jim says, I'd go P1s in your situation, coming from scratch. If price is a key issue, get the single sided P1 and then upgrade to dual sided as soon as you can?

And that's from me having two P2Ms. That's only come about because of getting the first before I owned a TT bike. And also because the P1s didn't exist. If I was coming to power now, it would definitely be P1s.

The fact that DCRs go to PM is a pair of P1s is also rather compelling. Not many people in the world have got such a volume of experience on all the different options out there.
jibberjim

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:
And that's from me having two P2Ms. That's only come about because of getting the first before I owned a TT bike. And also because the P1s didn't exist. If I was coming to power now, it would definitely be P1s.

Our P1 experience is rather limited as we only had them borrowed for a bit, but it was no easier swapping those than a p2max on Rotor 3d, it's a 1 bolt swap. Of course that only applies if you can do chainrings and bottom bracket the same everywhere as otherwise if you're swapping chainring aswell as cranks then it's more of a pain.

We own 5 or 6 power meters, and we still swap p2max's around easily and quickly, it's not inconenient. Mind you neither is swapping powertap hubs, or C1's.

Vectors are the only ones I would refuse, needing a torque wrench to guarantee accuracy makes it immediately more effort - the others, as long as you've installed it safely, you're going to get consistent results.

No experience of the D-Zero btw, certainly heard nothing to suggest it would be in any way different.
dairic

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers guys, you have both confirmed my suspicions with the vectors. So I'll look at the p1's and I'll have an in depth look at the power2max, I just had a quick look but there seems so many, are there different models regarding spec etc?
As mentioned I could change a quarq over just as quick as the vectors if needed.
Only just getting in to power so hopefully going to make the correct choice from the start!
Cheers
Jorgan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do a bit research (including Slowtwitch), neither pedal-based system is especially reliable according to owners. I would have said P1, but there are a few glitches apparently.
Cat5 in the Hat

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:
You want to transfer between bikes, but then worry about ease of installation of vector? Swapping a crank based PM is a lot more effort than pedals.

Is it feck.

If you have a superior system like GXP then it is a single bolt that self-extracts. Move PM to new bike, tighten same bolt to 48Nm. Crank arm and chainset pre-load done in one hit.

P2M are attractive due to pricing but seem to have niggles that need sorting back in Germany.
Give CyclePowerMeters a phone call and buy from them. Their service is exemplary.
jibberjim

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cat5 in the Hat wrote:
stenard wrote:

Is it feck.

Quite Agree

Cat5 in the Hat wrote:
If you have a superior system like GXP then it is a single bolt that self-extracts. Move PM to new bike, tighten same bolt to 48Nm. Crank arm and chainset pre-load done in one hit.

48! But a rotor 3d only requires 8Nm, you don't want 48, builds too much upper body!

Cat5 in the Hat wrote:
P2M are attractive due to pricing but seem to have niggles that need sorting back in Germany.

Don't know any power meters that haven't had to go back, the german's have been good, as have others of course. P2max seem no more common to have problems, I remember we tested Jasmijn's that had her producing around 150w at her all out strength, but they dealt with it okay.

Cat5 in the Hat wrote:
Give CyclePowerMeters a phone call and buy from them. Their service is exemplary.

Yep, always good service, and nice folk.
stenard

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jibberjim wrote:
Cat5 in the Hat wrote:
stenard wrote:

Is it feck.

Quite Agree

I guess it depends what you're happy doing. I'm not saying it's horrifically complicated, but basic pedals (I'm not including vector in this) are straightforward and mess free.

Swapping cranks is just more faff, at least in my opinion. It's more messy given the chain, and the front mech often needs some tweaking. And as Jim said earlier...the ability to swap is dependent on compatible BBs etc.
dairic

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers,
I've got shimano bottom bracket sm-bbr60 on both bikes,so I'll just change to a sram bb and get the gxp power meter, so changing it will be straightforward.
I'll give them a call tomorrow but they're prices on line are more expensive than what I can get it for from my local lbs.
cheers
Cat5 in the Hat

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jibberjim wrote:

Cat5 in the Hat wrote:

48! But a rotor 3d only requires 8Nm, you don't want 48, builds too much upper body!

Only on one-side. I look like Ron now Laughing

8 Nm for a chainset? Is Rotor like Hollowtech in that you have a separate preload, then cinch bolts to hold the crank arm to the shaft?
fenix

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Powertap wheel. You can get a disc cover for TT stuff and take it off the rest of the time. Prob take you 10 mins to do that ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: