Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
'Special' holiday destination
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Off-Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
fat buddha




Joined: 13 Jul 2004
Posts: 2495
Location: rural Zuzzex

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd agree about the Maldives - it is somewhere special. having snorkelled around we just had to sign up to do a couple of dives to get the best experience.

we went there in 1983 when it was starting to develop big time and there were a lot fewer resort islands available. but I also think we went at the best time as it was under commercialised and the reefs hadn't suffered the bleaching that happened in the late 90's/'00s as a result of an El Nino effect.

don't think I'll ever forget the view from the plane as we flew in over the islands - it is just picture perfect.
_________________
And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mitten reloaded




Joined: 27 Jun 2008
Posts: 322

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For our 25th Anniversary we chartered a sailing yacht in the British Virgin Islands, just us & the wonderful husband & wife crew.

Beautiful sailing, fantastic food, boat was scuba equipped - perfect escape. We went to the the BVI but could also have chosen the Grenadines, French Caribbean or Dominica
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Padams




Joined: 18 Oct 2012
Posts: 121
Location: St Albans

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote for Maui if you want to do something other than just sit on a beach (you can do that there too). My wife and I went there the day after Kona for 4 days and have been wanting to go back ever since. I think we would have needed 10 days or so to do everything we wanted to do there.

I expect the other Hawaiian islands are also good, but Maui seems to have everything in one place. It is obviously quite a long trip though - we combined it with a few days in California to break up the journey. (Big Sur is also amazing by the way, but you only need a day or two there.)
_________________
http://padams123.blogspot.com/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
SGreg




Joined: 30 Jun 2010
Posts: 1047
Location: High Peak

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Padams wrote:
Another vote for Maui if you want to do something other than just sit on a beach (you can do that there too). My wife and I went there the day after Kona for 4 days and have been wanting to go back ever since. I think we would have needed 10 days or so to do everything we wanted to do there.

I expect the other Hawaiian islands are also good, but Maui seems to have everything in one place. It is obviously quite a long trip though - we combined it with a few days in California to break up the journey. (Big Sur is also amazing by the way, but you only need a day or two there.)


We did Big Sur and the Pacific coast highway last year, as part of a Road Trip across California. It's a really beautiful place. Highlight of the trip for sure.

I agree I have just wanted to go back to Maui ever since we left. It really has spoiled holidays for us, nothing seems to come close...Although the US road trip came close!

While 10 days is enough (just) its the travelling that would eat into it meaning you would have less time on the island, don't think I would make the journey for much less than 14days...As you say its best to split the journey up, we didn't and it was tough going! awake nearly 30 hours each way.

Driving was interesting once we got back to Heathrow!


I keep telling the wife we will go back after I race Kona, there is just one small bug in that plan.... Rolling Eyes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Padams




Joined: 18 Oct 2012
Posts: 121
Location: St Albans

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGreg wrote:
Padams wrote:
Another vote for Maui if you want to do something other than just sit on a beach (you can do that there too). My wife and I went there the day after Kona for 4 days and have been wanting to go back ever since. I think we would have needed 10 days or so to do everything we wanted to do there.

I expect the other Hawaiian islands are also good, but Maui seems to have everything in one place. It is obviously quite a long trip though - we combined it with a few days in California to break up the journey. (Big Sur is also amazing by the way, but you only need a day or two there.)


We did Big Sur and the Pacific coast highway last year, as part of a Road Trip across California. It's a really beautiful place. Highlight of the trip for sure.

I agree I have just wanted to go back to Maui ever since we left. It really has spoiled holidays for us, nothing seems to come close...Although the US road trip came close!

While 10 days is enough (just) its the travelling that would eat into it meaning you would have less time on the island, don't think I would make the journey for much less than 14days...As you say its best to split the journey up, we didn't and it was tough going! awake nearly 30 hours each way.

Driving was interesting once we got back to Heathrow!


I keep telling the wife we will go back after I race Kona, there is just one small bug in that plan.... Rolling Eyes


Our itinerary was something like:
Tuesday: fly to Kona via somewhere (LA maybe?)
Weds-Fri: get bike, swim, register etc.
Sat - race
Sun-Thurs: Maui
Fri-Mon: San Francisco
Mon-Weds: driving down the coast, Big Sur etc.
Thurs-Sat: Las Vegas
Sun-Mon: fly back via somewhere (DC maybe?)

An awesome holiday, and we would have liked another week in Maui and another couple of days on the California coast. 2 nights in Las Vegas was enough for us...
_________________
http://padams123.blogspot.com/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Roscoemck




Joined: 10 Aug 2016
Posts: 431
Location: Glasgow

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sooooo, we kept it simple! Going back to Sol Beach House Ibiza as we enjoyed it last year.

No kids, very chilled vibe, boutique chic, great food, relaxing, nice gym, excellent running in the area, yoga and pilates every day, massage, great little town, lovely marina. Just perfect for us!

That's in May.

In August, we've got 3 nights in our 'spiritual' home Kenmore so that I can do the Aberfeldy half. We've been coming to Kenmore for 30 years and it's where we want to retire.

Still got hols to take in September. Thinking I may save like mad and see if I can whisk her off to Paris for a few nights, she's always wanted to go.

Expensive year coming up, 2 trips, both our 50th's, son's graduation.

Need to watch the pennies!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jibberjim




Joined: 15 Aug 2008
Posts: 8309
Location: Kingston

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roscoemck wrote:
Sooooo, we kept it simple! Going back to Sol Beach House Ibiza as we enjoyed it last year.


The Vengaboys were good...
_________________
Jibbering Sports Stuff
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Roscoemck




Joined: 10 Aug 2016
Posts: 431
Location: Glasgow

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jibberjim wrote:
Roscoemck wrote:
Sooooo, we kept it simple! Going back to Sol Beach House Ibiza as we enjoyed it last year.


The Vengaboys were good...


Hahahaha! This place is totally the opposite, nice chilled vibe.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SGreg




Joined: 30 Jun 2010
Posts: 1047
Location: High Peak

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I took my own advice at least.

Booked to go back to Maui in March which is whale season. This time I will be fit and can do a lot more trail Exploration into the Jungles. And a lot more Swimming in Warm Crystal Clear water.

And the same amount of Diving too.

Maldives is still on hold...We were ready to book Maldives and just waiting for the right price when I figured, we could just go back to Maui for the same money, and there is just so much more to do than a tiny coral atoll.

Layovers in LA and Seattle this time too so the hellish journey should be much easier.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Roscoemck




Joined: 10 Aug 2016
Posts: 431
Location: Glasgow

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGreg wrote:
Well I took my own advice at least.

Booked to go back to Maui in March which is whale season. This time I will be fit and can do a lot more trail Exploration into the Jungles. And a lot more Swimming in Warm Crystal Clear water.

And the same amount of Diving too.

Maldives is still on hold...We were ready to book Maldives and just waiting for the right price when I figured, we could just go back to Maui for the same money, and there is just so much more to do than a tiny coral atoll.

Layovers in LA and Seattle this time too so the hellish journey should be much easier.


That sounds great
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
t1mmy




Joined: 22 Oct 2014
Posts: 103

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Maldives are on our list. I really enjoyed Borneo when we went, picturesque beaches and orangutans.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Off-Topic All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
  Share
 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum





Home | About TT | Privacy Policy | Terms and Conditions | Advertising | Contact TT
Copyright ©2003-2015 TriTalk®.co.uk. All rights reserved.