Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Anybody in PR / Branding / Marketing?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Off-Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Gus




Joined: 07 Sep 2007
Posts: 2300
Location: Freezing my nads off in Aberdoom

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:48 am    Post subject: Anybody in PR / Branding / Marketing? Reply with quote

Hi folks

We have launched a new company and are still arguing amongst ourselves over a new logo/branding.

We have a design we're generally settled on but there is one fundamental part we are at opposite extremes of opinion on amongst our team. One of us thinks it's a great idea, the other doesn't. So we need an objective, preferably 'expert' opinion to help us make a decision which way to go!

I can't post up publicly for various reasons but can email if there is anyone willing to give us an opinion.

Ta.
_________________
BLOG now updating again!
In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big...

My 15 minutes of fame
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jorgan




Joined: 12 Nov 2007
Posts: 16352
Location: alles was ich bin, alles was ich war

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paging Ron.
_________________
25 Years since it all began....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
explorerJC




Joined: 20 Oct 2005
Posts: 14696
Location: Farthingstone

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would ask your target audience and not PR, unless that is your audience....
_________________
www.appliedtri.co.uk Tri and Du coaching

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
SloggingScotsman




Joined: 18 Jul 2006
Posts: 2632

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
I would ask your target audience and not PR, unless that is your audience....
I agree.

Been decades since I was involved with such things so I only suggest Gus that it should feel right. You are obviously in disagreement over that! Hence I would agree with Ejc, walk in the shoes of your clients, try to look at it from their perspective. Within reason, would they really care? Now if you are looking for encapsulating meaning, again look at it from the meaning your clients will perceive.
_________________
Vote Stewart for Secretary General of the UN Smile
Good Judgement Project Brier Score 0.142 (median 0.367) https://www.gjopen.com/
Read: Our Place in the Twenty First Century
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
explorerJC




Joined: 20 Oct 2005
Posts: 14696
Location: Farthingstone

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SloggingScotsman wrote:
explorerJC wrote:
I would ask your target audience and not PR, unless that is your audience....
I agree.

Been decades since I was involved with such things so I only suggest Gus that it should feel right. You are obviously in disagreement over that! Hence I would agree with Ejc, walk in the shoes of your clients, try to look at it from their perspective. Within reason, would they really care? Now if you are looking for encapsulating meaning, again look at it from the meaning your clients will perceive.


Exclamation

that was an expensive wine I just spilt.... Very Happy
_________________
www.appliedtri.co.uk Tri and Du coaching

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
SloggingScotsman




Joined: 18 Jul 2006
Posts: 2632

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ejc, I used to be in marketing. Even got qualified. Not currently though.

Experts can get expensive quickly, and sometimes I wonder what costs so much. But if you know and understand your potential client base, that is a valuable perspective. And if you don't why are you in that business?

Substance over form.
_________________
Vote Stewart for Secretary General of the UN Smile
Good Judgement Project Brier Score 0.142 (median 0.367) https://www.gjopen.com/
Read: Our Place in the Twenty First Century
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
GrahamO




Joined: 10 Apr 2005
Posts: 9894
Location: United Arab Emirates or an airport

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it really matters either way, because you'll fold inside a year.

If you cannot even have agreement on a simple logo, your company is f*cked before it starts, because when it comes to something that matters, you're dead.

Running a Partnership requires compromise and trust and its clear there are two in your partnership who need to be ejected as they will turn into mini Hitlers very soon.
_________________
Arguing with engineers is like wrestling in mud with a pig - after a while you realise they like it
newMan : I don't know why you think you can address me like that! Don't ever reply directly to any of my posts again please.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gus




Joined: 07 Sep 2007
Posts: 2300
Location: Freezing my nads off in Aberdoom

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that.

Based on very little you come up with a pretty significant conclusion.

I get your point but you know absolutely nothing of our company, our corporate structure, our market, how we sit in the market etc. etc. etc. so I can assure you if I was that na´ve I wouldn't be CEO of a company majority owned by a $3bn international corporation.

Wink
_________________
BLOG now updating again!
In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big...

My 15 minutes of fame
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GrahamO




Joined: 10 Apr 2005
Posts: 9894
Location: United Arab Emirates or an airport

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
so I can assure you if I was that na´ve I wouldn't be CEO of a company majority owned by a $3bn international corporation.


Who cannot even get a logo agreed and asks for advice on a triathlon forum ?

CEO my ar*e.

If youre a CEO then act like it, not like the tea lady.
_________________
Arguing with engineers is like wrestling in mud with a pig - after a while you realise they like it
newMan : I don't know why you think you can address me like that! Don't ever reply directly to any of my posts again please.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gus




Joined: 07 Sep 2007
Posts: 2300
Location: Freezing my nads off in Aberdoom

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrahamO wrote:
Quote:
so I can assure you if I was that na´ve I wouldn't be CEO of a company majority owned by a $3bn international corporation.


Who cannot even get a logo agreed and asks for advice on a triathlon forum ?

CEO my ar*e.

If youre a CEO then act like it, not like the tea lady.


Ah. The reason I (and I'm sure others) stopped coming to this site.

99% of people on here are helpful, friendly and always worth listening to their opinion on something.

Then there's the 1%.
_________________
BLOG now updating again!
In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big...

My 15 minutes of fame
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GrahamO




Joined: 10 Apr 2005
Posts: 9894
Location: United Arab Emirates or an airport

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gus wrote:
GrahamO wrote:
Quote:
so I can assure you if I was that na´ve I wouldn't be CEO of a company majority owned by a $3bn international corporation.


Who cannot even get a logo agreed and asks for advice on a triathlon forum ?

CEO my ar*e.

If youre a CEO then act like it, not like the tea lady.


Ah. The reason I (and I'm sure others) stopped coming to this site.

99% of people on here are helpful, friendly and always worth listening to their opinion on something.

Then there's the 1%.


The reason people stopped coming to the site is the chancers claiming to be one thing when in fact they were something else.

Seriously, if you're a CEO and you're asking for business or HR management advice on a triathlon site then something isn't right.

Try an Agony Aunt column instead.

And I'm 99% sure its you Very Happy
_________________
Arguing with engineers is like wrestling in mud with a pig - after a while you realise they like it
newMan : I don't know why you think you can address me like that! Don't ever reply directly to any of my posts again please.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jorgan




Joined: 12 Nov 2007
Posts: 16352
Location: alles was ich bin, alles was ich war

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could be wrong, but I don't think GrahamO or people claiming to be senior company officials are the reasons this site is quiet nowadays.

Gus - is this business Triathlon related, or offshore which I thought was your day job?
_________________
25 Years since it all began....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
iainm




Joined: 10 Sep 2005
Posts: 3084
Location: Brighton

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think people stopped coming because of Facebook, but comments as above don't really help.

It's true though that you're not going to resolve this on this forum. Logos are a matter of taste. Personally - depending on your sector - I'd be more concerned with the company name and the URLs you've secured. More important in our digital age.
_________________
Tri blog | Follow my snowsports blog at Skipedia | Supported by Profeet Custom
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Gus




Joined: 07 Sep 2007
Posts: 2300
Location: Freezing my nads off in Aberdoom

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrahamO wrote:
Gus wrote:
GrahamO wrote:
Quote:
so I can assure you if I was that na´ve I wouldn't be CEO of a company majority owned by a $3bn international corporation.


Who cannot even get a logo agreed and asks for advice on a triathlon forum ?

CEO my ar*e.

If youre a CEO then act like it, not like the tea lady.


Ah. The reason I (and I'm sure others) stopped coming to this site.

99% of people on here are helpful, friendly and always worth listening to their opinion on something.

Then there's the 1%.


The reason people stopped coming to the site is the chancers claiming to be one thing when in fact they were something else.

Seriously, if you're a CEO and you're asking for business or HR management advice on a triathlon site then something isn't right.

Try an Agony Aunt column instead.

And I'm 99% sure its you Very Happy


Not that I need to justify anything to you, contrary to what you have clearly mistakenly concluded, I came on here asking some second opinions on a relatively minor matter.

Over the last 10 years or so I have read a range of great opinions, ideas, suggestions, on countless topics, many from completely left-field that have changed my perception on several things, so I have grown to appreciate the diverse range of objective input from this site. The intelligence, maturity and creativity in our community on here is fantastic and I therefore don't dismiss it so condescendingly as you do.

So, firstly, if you honestly think I am basing key business decisions on input from 'a Triathlon Forum' then you're a bigger fool than you seem to think I am. Like any good decision-maker, I take the widest range of input to ensure I reach the most informed decision.

Secondly, based upon the flimsiest piece of evidence you have managed to spin a conclusion that, ignorant of any other factors whatsoever about our organisation, we will 'fold within 12 months', that 2 members of our team are 'mini Hitlers' and that I'm incompetent at my job. I sincerely hope for your employer's sake you don't extend your flawed, ignorant logic to your engineering.

And finally, the tone of your responses (and in many other threads, for that matter) generally tends to be pretty rude, unpleasant, insulting and just plain unnecessary. You might think it's 'chancers' that drive people away from this site, I can promise you it's also the tone of the resident 'know-it-alls' that tends to be one of the biggest factors.
_________________
BLOG now updating again!
In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big...

My 15 minutes of fame
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gus




Joined: 07 Sep 2007
Posts: 2300
Location: Freezing my nads off in Aberdoom

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
I could be wrong, but I don't think GrahamO or people claiming to be senior company officials are the reasons this site is quiet nowadays.

Gus - is this business Triathlon related, or offshore which I thought was your day job?


It's technology related, in a niche industry that does have a big audience in Oil & Gas, but is diverse as agriculture, automotive and even drones.

And please ignore the biff with Graham, I really shouldn't have risen to the bait and for that I publicly apologise Wink
_________________
BLOG now updating again!
In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big...

My 15 minutes of fame
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Off-Topic All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
  Share
 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum





Home | About TT | Privacy Policy | Terms and Conditions | Advertising | Contact TT
Copyright ©2003-2015 TriTalk®.co.uk. All rights reserved.