Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
New to Tri - Advice and Guidance Appreciated

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BART14

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:48 pm    Post subject: New to Tri - Advice and Guidance Appreciated Reply with quote

Hi, I appreciate these posts must pop up quite frequently but if you could indulge me that would be great! I'm looking to complete my first sprint tri June this year. I have a number of basic questions.

Firstly, I have recently bought what I would call a beginners road bike. This bike doesn't have clip-in pedals. What are the best shoes to wear during the cycle leg? I have good running shoes but should i wear these cycling first to save time in t2?

Secondly, after a bit of research I also have bought myself a tri-suit which I believe I can wear under my wetsuit during the swim leg? However what should I wear under my tri-suit in terms of underwear and/or t-shirts? Should my wetsuit keep the tri-suit completely dry? Do I need to lubricate well and id so, where?

Finally (for now), do you have any tips for good locations for open water swim practice? Are lakes or beaches better? Should I swim to a time or distance?

Many thanks in advance!
TriSam

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the sport, and the site. Hopefully you'll be able to gain some useful knowledge here.

For your first tri, wearing your running trainers on the cycle portion of the triathlon is definitely acceptable, you'll see quite a few in the same position as you I'd imagine. What are you currently wearing when you ride your bike now?

Most people wear the trisuit alone, without anything underneath it. This reduces chafing that you might get from a t-shirt or underwear. If you're body-conscious and don't particularly want to do the bike and run in tight lycra, you could slip a small jacket on over the top in T1. This will also help to keep you warm if it's a cold day. The trisuit will be wet underneath the wetsuit, but they are made of a material that dries quite rapidly. If you were to wear normal cycling shorts, rather than a trisuit, it might feel like you were running in a sodden nappy afterwards Wink

Where are you located? I would try and swim in something that simulates your race best. If you're going to be racing in a lake, lake practice will be more beneficial than going out into a choppy ocean.

Good luck!
explorerJC

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can swim in Belfast Lough and survive then you can probably swim anywhere. But as posted above, practice in the same environment as the race.

A wetsuit is so named because it allows a layer of water in...this will make your Tri suit wet...it will dry quite quickly unless you are racing in NI in which case it won't matter

You won't need anything under the suit unless the wind is coming down off Mourne in which case have a jacket to put on in T1. But practice with all the kit you intend to use.

Tri shoes and clip-less pedals are very useful but require practice too....not vital for your first event

Good luck....

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
BART14

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice, they probably seem like very trivial questions but I know from my experiences running that with the wrong attire, things can get extremely uncomfortable. TriSam I haven't spent much time on the bike yet but I usually use an old pair of running shoes. My bike has strapless toe clips and I would be concerned about the light material on my good running shoes getting damaged.
Chrace

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First tip would be to think less about being fast and more about having fun (later those two may converge).

Look at the weather forecast, bring kit for each event as a standalone thing (e.g. rain gear or sun cream) and take your time in transition. Just stay calm and get it right rather than try to be fast. You'll gain experience really quickly and your second will be slicker.

If it's a cool or cold day then bring a cycling jacket (any windproof really) since you will be wet after swim and it can get really cold on the bike with wind chill. And bring bin liner to put over your kit in transition if it's raining, wet gear is no fun. Bring an old hoodie to put on after racing as well.

Basically, make sure you enjoy the day comfortably rather than get a good time. You probably won't win, so have fun!

(Although most don't, I wear underwear under suit btw. Keeps things better in place on bike and run I feel. Smile )
BART14

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrace, thanks also for your sound advice. I have just about completed my 1st week of tri training (1hr cycle to go tomorrow) and I must say I feel energised by the variety. I'm primarily a runner but am really enjoying the swim and cycle sessions so far, with the added bonus that when it comes to running I'm bursting to get at it!

Completed my 1st ever brick session and found that for the 1st mile or so I was running on jelly sticks. Strange sensation! Work to de done!!
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's 2017. The most important thing, is that you Instragram the sh*t out of your day Very Happy Wink
Chrace

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a wise man on this forum once said, you'll get exactly the same medal as the guy who comes fourth. Smile
FoulOleRon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALWAYS lubricate well.
Jgav

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BART14 wrote:
Chrace, thanks also for your sound advice. I have just about completed my 1st week of tri training (1hr cycle to go tomorrow) and I must say I feel energised by the variety. I'm primarily a runner but am really enjoying the swim and cycle sessions so far, with the added bonus that when it comes to running I'm bursting to get at it!

Completed my 1st ever brick session and found that for the 1st mile or so I was running on jelly sticks. Strange sensation! Work to de done!!

I'm also new to Tri but the one I thing I have absorbed from all of the advice out there is to not build up training load too quickly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: