Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Really screwed my Triathlon training for this week
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mattsurf

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:40 pm    Post subject: Really screwed my Triathlon training for this week Reply with quote

Prior to my Triathlon addiction, I was a national level windsurfer. One of my long term ambitions has been to have a go at the 100 mile windsurf record, however, I have not really had the fitness to do it..... until now. With all of my IM training, I felt that I am in pretty good shape fitness wise, so last weekend, with the forecast looking promising for windsurfing (and no good at all for triathlons), I decided to have a shot at windsurfing 100 miles and see how close I could get to the record of 4h45m

I have to say that I surpassed my expectations, and completed 100 miles, windsurfing non stop for 4h27m, taking 18mins off the old record..... however, I am now suffering - I have had a dead leg for the past 3 days, and my hands are shredded. I did swim on Sunday, but could only manage 2m7s per 100m (rather than my normal 1m51s), I can't run or cycle and the state of my hands rules out the gym.

Its a good feeling to beat a record, however, I am surprised by the effect that it has had on my body. I guess if you push any endurance sport to an extreme, it will take a long time to recover
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You broke the record, it's only 1st March...relax Smile

Congratulations btw.
mattsurf

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jorgan

I know that it is a bit late now, however, are there training benefits of pushing yourself to the limit of your physical ability, or could it reduce your level of fitness.
TriSam

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations! How do you measure out a 100 mile course? I assume you do it all in one direction, must be a PITA to get back home again afterwards Very Happy
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:
Thanks Jorgan

I know that it is a bit late now, however, are there training benefits of pushing yourself to the limit of your physical ability, or could it reduce your level of fitness.

There are benefits as long as you rest properly afterwards and recover.
mattsurf

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TriSam wrote:
Congratulations! How do you measure out a 100 mile course? I assume you do it all in one direction, must be a PITA to get back home again afterwards Very Happy

No I was in Portland harbour, sailing a 1.35km course. Sailing in one direction for any prolonged time is really hard, like holding a weight in a static position.

1.35km is a little short, however, the wind angle meant that there was a big wind shadow from Portland

I actually sailed 186km which is 101.4 nautical miles, which took 5h14m, however the record is for 100 miles (162km), I measured this with my Garmin 910XT as well as a Genie GT31, which is an officially sanctioned device for sailing records, as it has a doppler recorder, which makes it more accurate than just GPS (no idea about the technicalities though).

When I had about 9km to go, I hit the wall... the guys on the beach sent someone out to keep me company as they were getting concerned that my sailing was becoming somewhat erratic.

It is a very strange sensation "hitting the wall", one moment I was fine, the next I was all over the place

I had a Camelback with 1.5L of High5, but took no other nutrition, and burned off 7500+ calories. Hopefully I can learn from this for Ironman fueling, which I believe is around 10000 calories over 11-12
hours
SidSnot

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's brilliant, congratulations. As Jorgan said, its only March, plenty of time for the IM training. Good lesson learned re: the nutrition too
explorerJC

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's awesome performance, chapeau!

i like long endurance records because they are a mind game....i overtook the 12 hour treadmill record after 11 hours and 57 minutes...that's a long time to be thinking about getting cramp...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
mattsurf

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:

I like long endurance records because they are a mind game....i overtook the 12 hour treadmill record after 11 hours and 57 minutes...that's a long time to be thinking about getting cramp...

Thanks for the encouragement

I know what you mean, after 50k (about 25% complete) I thought that it wasn't going to happen, however, once past halfway and you count down, it is psychologically much easier. I actually did a 1m28sec negative split, which is pretty consistent over more than 5 hours effort

Things are not as bad as I had feared (apart from my hands), I went for a gentle jog, not really looking at my splits, only when I got home that I realized that I ran a sub 45m 10k, which is not far off my PB - no idea where that came from
explorerJC

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:
explorerJC wrote:

I like long endurance records because they are a mind game....i overtook the 12 hour treadmill record after 11 hours and 57 minutes...that's a long time to be thinking about getting cramp...

Thanks for the encouragement

I know what you mean, after 50k (about 25% complete) I thought that it wasn't going to happen, however, once past halfway and you count down, it is psychologically much easier. I actually did a 1m28sec negative split, which is pretty consistent over more than 5 hours effort

Things are not as bad as I had feared (apart from my hands), I went for a gentle jog, not really looking at my splits, only when I got home that I realized that I ran a sub 45m 10k, which is not far off my PB - no idea where that came from

excellent...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Mungo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chapeau Matt.

Great effort.

Sounds like you have the right mindset for Long distance stuff.
Doca

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome, well done!
Chrace

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like absolute perfect IM training. I consider IM 90% mindgames which you definitely covered when breaking a record. Just need to let the body heal up a bit and you'll be flying.

Congratulations!
funkin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's awesome. Well done - especially for doing it in February! I'm a windsurfer as well and we had great conditions last year at one point (a dead onshore wind) where I managed a couple of 4 mile reaches along the shoreline a couple of hundred m out sea. You're right about being a static position - I was really aching for a couple of days after that - and I only did it a couple of times.
Tin Pot

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

<shakes>
Some people just don't take their IM training seriously enough and injure themselves on whimsical distractions.

Wink

Well done!
Sprint '16 1h17, '14 1h40, '13 2h01
Half Mara '16 2h04, '14 2h07
10 Mile TT '16 00:26:30
Trail 10K '16 54:01 '13 54:46
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: