Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Ironmen are like David Brent?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Laufmann

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:59 am    Post subject: Ironmen are like David Brent? Reply with quote

Settled down with my son last Sunday to watch BBC's 'Special Forces – Ultimate Hell Week'. When "nationally ranked" ironman, Francis, came on our screen saying, "quitting would not be an option with other people around", our money was on him. 14 minutes in he had quit. This was subsequently described by the Daily Mirror as, "classic David Brent: [having said] “People say to me what is your greatest achievement – iron man or sailing the Atlantic single-handed?”"

Ouch! Not just for him, but for all the rest of us rolling into work the next day, a few notches down on the awsome scale in the eyes of our colleagues. Obviously, when you enter something like this, you have no control over the editing and so we do not get a full picture of what happens, but on the face of it, some short runs in the sun was too much. Anyone know more?
explorerJC

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes...it's on television so give it a miss...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Tin Pot

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't watch these kind of shows but your thread intrigued me.

14mins and impressive fail, but it looked to me like the blood had drained from his face and he was off balance, so it was a physical failure not willpower.

Some look like they've just rocked up - Surely these people train for it?
Sprint '16 1h17, '14 1h40, '13 2h01
Half Mara '16 2h04, '14 2h07
10 Mile TT '16 00:26:30
Trail 10K '16 54:01 '13 54:46
kevb

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:28 am    Post subject: Re: Ironmen are like David Brent? Reply with quote

Laufmann wrote:
..... on the face of it, some short runs in the sun was too much. .....

Were the aid stations not properly set up Shocked
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well. There's quite a difference between finishing an Ironman in 15h then getting a tattoo, or finishing one 5 hours faster.

Also, there are a few unsubtle differences between military training and SBR.

I saw the first episode of the first series - guess what, the biggest gobsh1te lasted about 10 mins. This reality stuff is yawn.
Chrace

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Jorgan there.

You can train a lot and do an IM with very little willpower, or you can willpower your way through an IM almost without training. If you have some of both you can get a decent time, and if you have a lot of both you can be darn quick.

I think he was expecting aid stations and being nannied around mdot finisher style. Pick any (any!) Norseman, Celtman or Wasdale X finisher and they would have done better, despite quite possibly being less fit.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i really have no experience of reality tv beyond what I hear....but the whole point i guess is for controversy, surprise and stupidity...

....to the sofa society, there would probably be nothing more boring than watching really fit people being equally successful...

...whilst being fit in the military is obviously useful, at the tougher end of the scale it's all in the head...

pacman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This show is not your typical reality TV show. The participants for a start were not uniformly arseholes for a start. The focus for the entertainment piece was the changing tactics and attitude of the special forces guys. Whatever background the participants had they had no military training. Most of them were gym instructors who had a very good general level of fitness probably far more rounded than your typical IM training gives. I was entertained and if it gives people encouragement to get out and do a bit of training as it did me all the better.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it still on telly? I'm sure a Crossfitter would smash it Rolling Eyes Laughing

What these programmes fail to assess, is how useful these individuals would be in the arse-end of no-where, possibly alone, with a limited amount of equipment and still function at a high level (physically & mentally) for days or weeks on end. Can you look at a map and visualise the terrain instantly for example, then know how long it will take you to cover a known distance?

There are no charging points for smartphones in the wild.
JaRok2300

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a more positive note I do enjoy the odd episode of Steve Austin's Broken Skull ranch. The challenges aren't overly contrived and the results appear genuine.
My only slight frustration is that the elimination events don't necessarily deliver the athlete most able to complete the eliminator. A power lifter would probably do well in the knockouts but have little chance of a good time on the obstacle course.
Worth watching at face value every now and again though.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
Is it still on telly? I'm sure a Crossfitter would smash it Rolling Eyes Laughing

What these programmes fail to assess, is how useful these individuals would be in the arse-end of no-where, possibly alone, with a limited amount of equipment and still function at a high level (physically & mentally) for days or weeks on end. Can you look at a map and visualise the terrain instantly for example, then know how long it will take you to cover a known distance?

There are no charging points for smartphones in the wild.

The hardest challenge is in not knowing when it will end

Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:

The hardest challenge is in not knowing when it will end

When the TV crew get bored Wink
Toyota_Crown

Location: Lincoln / Scarborough (Algerino-Land) / Fircombe-on-Sea. sandbagging for daveM

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tin Pot wrote:
14mins and impressive fail, but it looked to me like the blood had drained from his face and he was off balance, so it was a physical failure not willpower.
yep, he had food poisoning or something like that from the nite or two before so he was just lucky to make the start line tbh. shame as he would have done well. he fights like a dervish! he didnt deserve to come across as some kind of numpT quitter.

I thought the swimbling episode was particularly interesting, watching them trying to do it tied up Shocked
87IM+10DIM+D+2Q+2T=123IM
UKIMGrandSlam04-16
veggieboy

Location: Wearing Hokas/Altras/Sketchers and Ashmei - looking good is more important than running fast

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if ttowel entered, everyone else would just give up after the first day

But I'm still not going to swim
tuckandgo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toyota_Crown wrote:
Tin Pot wrote:
yep, he had food poisoning or something like that from the nite or two before so he was just lucky to make the start line tbh. shame as he would have done well. he fights like a dervish! he didnt deserve to come across as some kind of numpT quitter.

I thought the swimbling episode was particularly interesting, watching them trying to do it tied up Shocked

It was rather unfair on how it portrayed triathletes.
Initially from this thread I thought it was some plus sized 16 hour finisher. Watched the show and a bit of digging and they're a KQ.

Of course it doesn't make good telly to say 'oh this one had food poisoning so was ill anyway'
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: