Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Holiday home, triathlon base
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tin Pot

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:12 pm    Post subject: Holiday home, triathlon base Reply with quote

Anyone dreamed about buying a place with great training opportunities nearby?

I've been flicking through property websites mulling it over.

Pembrokeshire, Wales
East coast of Spain
French Alps (quite a lot more expensive)

Anyone else thought about it or done it?

1. Open water that's usable a decent period of the year
2. An indoor pool nearby
3. Hills, forests for running and riding
4. Good quality roads
5. ..?
Sprint '16 1h17, '14 1h40, '13 2h01
Half Mara '16 2h04, '14 2h07
10 Mile TT '16 00:26:30
Trail 10K '16 54:01 '13 54:46
PCP

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Denia/Xabia in Spain is a decent area for training. My family live out there and it ticks all the boxes
Horwich tri - 2:11:12 (57/393)
Monster Mojo Middle - 4:44:50 (29th)
50TT
UK Ultimate 1/2
100TT
IMUK
explorerJC

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i rent a place in St Michel de Vax...on the same lane as friends...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
fat buddha

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alps are fine but as you say, expensive. If you want French hills head towards the Pyrenees for big mountains as it's cheaper than the Alps, or the Auvergne for more rolling mountains and even cheaper. The weather will also be generally kinder than the Alps.
hammerer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Id like somewhere in the Asturias region although winter gets colder especially when the road goes up. but beautiful coast. also the Sierra Nevada mountains in southern spain and more reliable temps in the winter months there along with Europes highest climb which is 40km long!
explorerJC

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fat buddha wrote:
Alps are fine but as you say, expensive. If you want French hills head towards the Pyrenees for big mountains as it's cheaper than the Alps, or the Auvergne for more rolling mountains and even cheaper. The weather will also be generally kinder than the Alps.

i should have said that St M is Midi-pyrenees...good old TdF rolling hills...

Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tbh, there are so many options. Obviously some places would be cost prohibitive like the south of France; I'm also not sure what public swimming pools are like there? The Canaries or Balearics seem like obvious options too, not sure about prices, as I guess you'd be up against all the Saga crowd.

From my own experience, southern Germany can be good. In Bavaria you get warm summers, good roads, good pool facilities in most towns and plenty of lakes that are free to swim in. Okay, the winters can be cold, but tbh even they are getting milder from what I can tell. Only two of the winters I was there were snowy, but they clear the roads well, and there's MTBing. Snow is only really around mid Jan-mid March nowadays; certainly in most of Bavaria which is not mountainous. The quality of life there is good. You are also a day's driving to a heap of big Triathlon events.

I have the odd day dream about Colorado or Utah.
Tin Pot

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure there are downsides, but the thought of being able to ride around in uncongested roads, perfect tarmac, sea breeze...flat for miles or up into the mountains...pick up some fresh bread and olives on the way back and lounge by the pool recovering.

Ive seen some places not far from Xenia/Davia that look to good to be true, but most really cheap places look like rubble.

What is it with "cave houses" anyway?

A decent length pool probably costs a bunch to build and maintain, not great if you are only there occasionally.

Then I suppose you have to worry about thieves if you're going to have any kit there.

Ah, but running to the beach and swimming across the lagoon would be great...that couldn't get boring, could it?
FatPom

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tin Pot wrote:
I'm sure there are downsides, but the thought of being able to ride around in uncongested roads, perfect tarmac, sea breeze...flat for miles or up into the mountains...pick up some fresh bread and olives on the way back and lounge by the pool recovering.

Ive seen some places not far from Xenia/Davia that look to good to be true, but most really cheap places look like rubble.

A decent length pool probably costs a bunch to build and maintain, not great if you are only there occasionally.

Then I suppose you have to worry about thieves if you're going to have any kit there.

Ah, but running to the beach and swimming across the lagoon would be great...that couldn't get boring, could it?

They stay cool.
fat buddha

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tin Pot wrote:

an endless pool is probably better - less water needed, so less digging and you can install one in an overground pool.

the reality of foreign property ownership and the dream is often completely different. we've owned 2 French properties and generally it was fine as they had good security when we weren't there (and break ins are not so common as in the UK), but when things go wrong trying to get issues resolved from over 500 miles away can be difficult.

that's where you need good insurance you can call upon to help when you have a flooded cellar and the drains have backed up because a letting stuffed nappies down them before the flood and you don't know locals who can help.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fat buddha wrote:
Tin Pot wrote:

an endless pool is probably better - less water needed, so less digging and you can install one in an overground pool.

the reality of foreign property ownership and the dream is often completely different. we've owned 2 French properties and generally it was fine as they had good security when we weren't there (and break ins are not so common as in the UK), but when things go wrong trying to get issues resolved from over 500 miles away can be difficult.

that's where you need good insurance you can call upon to help when you have a flooded cellar and the drains have backed up because a letting stuffed nappies down them before the flood and you don't know locals who can help.

don't you need alarms on pools in France now?

the hassle is one of the reasons we rent....there's a 50m open water heated pool a ride away and a 25m pool closer by...moderate hills to cycle in every direction...black mountain bike trails and run trails within minutes...

PCP

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you buy in Denia/Xabia I know a builder who will build your pool.
He built his own in every house he's had and used to be a top class open water swimmer, as did his wife. Very Happy
Horwich tri - 2:11:12 (57/393)
Monster Mojo Middle - 4:44:50 (29th)
50TT
UK Ultimate 1/2
100TT
IMUK
Tin Pot

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spent a week not far from Denia/Xebia in the mountains nearby - man the roads are amazing.

Nearby communal 25m pool in Orba, though I didn't use it.

Running or cycling in the roads, the cars are infrequent and courteous, the tarmac constantly smooth and the views are great too.

Wife loved it too.
mattsurf

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sant Pere Pescadore - Golf Di Roses Spain. It is a national park, with 10km of beach and no high rise resorts, just a few (fantastic) campsites along the beach, Swimming in the sea for 8+ months, if you want a change from sea swimming Lake Banyoles (Olympic rowing venue) is a clear blue, weed free lake, with warm clear water, and has a 1000m swim course marked out with buoys and a guide rope. It is in the foothills of the Pyrenees, so excellent cycling in mountains, however, plenty of flat and/or rolling landscapes for less challenging rides, in general cars are very bike friendly. Running along beach, in mountains, around the lakes etc. Loads of other sports to try too, especially water sports. Cheap flights to Girona or Perpignan, both less than 45 mins away, driveable in a single day from Dieppe or Caen

Weymouth - loads of beautiful coastal running possibilities, cycling good with lots of quiet roads, road surfaces is often poor. Sea is warm enough to swim from May to October, flat water swimming in Portland Harbour, Weymouth has a decent indoor pool too. Salisbury (where I live), has an excellent Tri-club and several cycle clubs, is right on the doorstep to the New Forest and Salisbury Plain, with excellent cycling opportunities, Ellingham lake is open for early water open water swimming from April to November.
Gus

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scotland! We have hills, lots of open water, beautiful wilderness!

Seriously, though, try inland South of France, depending upon your budget. It's nowhere near as expensive as the coastal region, hills are gorgeous and (although not Alpine/Pyrannean) are big enough to test the legs... roads are good generally, too. And you have lovely warm sea water not so far away...

But cost of living can be quite expensive, and owning French property can be an arse.

So, Scotland.

My 15 minutes of fame
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: