Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Two middle distance races - 3 weeks apart...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SwimsLikeAWalrus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:17 pm    Post subject: Two middle distance races - 3 weeks apart... Reply with quote

Two middle distance races - 3 weeks apart.

I've done both races before so I know what I am in for. The first race is the worse of the two by a long way!

If I took the first race as a big training day and didn't go for any heroics. (I'm not exactly renowned for destroying myself in races anyway).

Am I being totally stupid? After the second 70.3 I'll be fully on for an Autumn marathon.

Been doing tri for 10 odd years now. Never speedy more bombproof.
JeffB

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't expect to improve between races but 3 weeks shouldn't be a problem as long as you don't make yourself ill or get injured.

Assuming you've done some sensible training for them.

Jeff
Chrace

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With that base, and if you are not going all out racing at the front, then I really can't see a problem with that. I think it depends more on what you do after race 1, i.e. make sure the body gets to replenish lost resources (eat for a week) and don't hit the hard speed sessions.

I am contemplating the X and IMUK this year with a month between, and less training volume than anyone on here would advise. Never been good at sanity though, but I'm not aiming to "race" either. Just have a bit of fun.
TriSam

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also doing 2 70.3 races 3 weeks apart from one another, and I'm going to try and hammer both of them! I think it's plenty of time to recover, but I'm young and I generally am pretty good the days after a race. I plan on having 3-4 days of very easy, relaxed recovery sessions (mainly swims/MTB/trail runs) before getting back into race preparation.

I think it also depends on how long you would normally taper for a 70.3. I work well of a 2 day taper only, so can afford to have short time periods between races
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I plan to do the same (Immortal Half & 113); again the first race is the harder course. I've not done this before, but I want to try something different to 'supercharge' my LD training; I then have a good few weeks before Outlaw to recover and build.

To me, they will just be glorified training sessions, so if they (well the 113) is a bit below expectation, then it's not the end of the world.
SwimsLikeAWalrus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent - thank you all Smile

Decision made Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: