Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Unstable T7 Vertebrae Fracture Fusion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tmr1980

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:44 pm    Post subject: Unstable T7 Vertebrae Fracture Fusion Reply with quote

Unstable T7 Vertebrae Fracture Fusion

I'm a 36 years old Triathlete. I broke my spine in a road bike accident resulting in an unstable fracture of my T7 vertebrae and the need for surgery (fusion of T6 to T8 vertebrae). Doc's couldn't believe I wasn't paralysed.

I'm now 8 mths post surgery, and doing exercise on daily basis (struggling with running, swimming nearly a mile and doing about 3.5 hrs on the turbo a week with the odd road ride thrown in). I'm also undertaking weekly pilates & daily stretches. Back generally aches each day.

Struggling to gleam many similar experiences from the internet.

Anyone done anything similar that can share experience and timeline of recovery??
hunkydory

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya,

I am a sports chiropractor (let's confess that straight away) and I deal with these kind of things a lot. I am happy to chat and give advice if you wish. Pm me a few questions and I will gladly respond.

Wishing you speedy recovery.

www.mikajanhunen.blogspot.com
tmr1980

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dropped you a PM hunky dory
tmr1980

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi hunkydory...struggling to send a PM!!! Thanks for your message and getting in touch. So guess you know the background to my accident.

-Is there anything you'd recommend I do over and above what I've already mentioned? Hoping to be in decent position after 12 mths and may take 18mth to 2 yrs to get back to pre accident condition, sound about right?
-I fancy doing an IM in Jul 18, do you think this is unrealistic?
-Bike: Have raised my bars up on road bike, plan to progressively lower them sound sensible?
-Run: Struggling with running, can run up to 3 miles relatively pain free. Any recommendations?
-Any view on thermal infrared heat pads, seems to be a lot of hype around them?

Thanks again for getting in touch.
Boorg

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had L5-S1 fused in 2013, spent a year in quite a lot of pain, only started running last year and looking at olympic in July. Take it easy, its a long haul and you need the fusion to be strong. Also need to make sure that the discs above the fusions are in good shape (though this is probably less true of the thoracic spine than the lumbar spine).

Running will take longest, swimming you can (and should as far as I'm concerned) get stuck in as soon as the wounds heal up. My neurosurgeon is very much of the opinion that you shouldn't let a fusion hold you back too much, but you need to wait for a good solid fusion before you attempt impact exercise.
MiaParkes

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boorg wrote:
I had L5-S1 fused in 2013, spent a year in quite a lot of pain, only started running last year and looking at olympic in July. Take it easy, its a long haul and you need we provide triathlon betting odds with a greater possibility of winning and making some profits the fusion to be strong. Also need to make sure that the discs above the fusions are in good shape (though this is probably less true of the thoracic spine than the lumbar spine).

Running will take longest, swimming you can (and should as far as I'm concerned) get stuck in as soon as the wounds heal up. My neurosurgeon is very much of the opinion that you shouldn't let a fusion hold you back too much, but you need to wait for a good solid fusion before you attempt impact exercise.

Great tips, thanks a lot Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: