Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
No support crew
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
iwaters

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do most of my races on my Tod. The wife and kids came to watch the end of my first HIM. That was cool. The run was a 4 lap course and I was struggling - always made sure to run past where they were.

Last year I did Coniston end to end. After I got changed and drove back to my hotel in Barrow, had a McDonalds then went to watch Jason Bourne at the cinema next door.
doug

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iwaters wrote:
I do most of my races on my Tod. The wife and kids came to watch the end of my first HIM. That was cool. The run was a 4 lap course and I was struggling - always made sure to run past where they were.

Last year I did Coniston end to end. After I got changed and drove back to my hotel in Barrow, had a McDonalds then went to watch Jason Bourne at the cinema next door.

Racing on your own is quite normal, but going to the cinema on your own is just plain weird Wink
Tin Pot

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrace wrote:
No kids I take it...

Before leaving home I frantically gather a bag of stuff I can use for the race, rock up as late as possible at the venue, do the race, pack up as quickly as I can and shoot off home. Only way not to exceed the brownie point usage levels. I'd love to hang around but no chance of that normally.

My biggest problem are races where you have to rack the day before. I prefer to leave home at 2 am, drive wherever and rack in the morning. Then I can be back home late evening and only have 1 day to reimburse.

Hurts like heck the next day if I have to drive more than 2 hours afterwards.

Two kids and that's my main motivation - to show them they can be athletic.
Sprint '16 1h17, '14 1h40, '13 2h01
Half Mara '16 2h04, '14 2h07
10 Mile TT '16 00:26:30
Trail 10K '16 54:01 '13 54:46
Tin Pot

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thing of the Fountains wrote:
I pass a stool in an empty portaloo and treat myself to a Bolivian.

Did I say "depressing"?

I take it back.
Chrace

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tin Pot wrote:
Chrace wrote:
No kids I take it...

Before leaving home I frantically gather a bag of stuff I can use for the race, rock up as late as possible at the venue, do the race, pack up as quickly as I can and shoot off home. Only way not to exceed the brownie point usage levels. I'd love to hang around but no chance of that normally.

My biggest problem are races where you have to rack the day before. I prefer to leave home at 2 am, drive wherever and rack in the morning. Then I can be back home late evening and only have 1 day to reimburse.

Hurts like heck the next day if I have to drive more than 2 hours afterwards.

Probably why I do NOT take them to see me racing. Wink
Jorgan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do all my races pretty much alone now. Whilst it would be great to have the family there when I'm out on the course & finishing, it's a real hassle and unfair on young kids, getting them up for silly o'clock starts! When I hear kids being pulled out of cars crying at 5am, I know I did the right thing.

It's just time to man-up and channel your self-sufficient side, you'll get used to it in no time. I have done several Ironman races abroad on my own too, it's actually pretty stress free tbh Wink Just plan ahead.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tin Pot wrote:

All they'll remember is being dragged around at stupid times of the day, because Daddy wants to race. Only when they're older will they appreciate and perhaps be inspired by what you did. That's why it's better for wife/kids to come along later in the day for an Ironman if that's what you're doing - but that can still be a struggle for your O/H if the kids are young.
Jgav

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
Tin Pot wrote:

All they'll remember is being dragged around at stupid times of the day, because Daddy wants to race. Only when they're older will they appreciate and perhaps be inspired by what you did. That's why it's better for wife/kids to come along later in the day for an Ironman if that's what you're doing - but that can still be a struggle for your O/H if the kids are young.

I try to avoid races with very early starts (unavoidable for long distance stuff I know) but I do like having my girls there on the finish line. I want to show them that it is a good thing to be active. Where it is an early start I will go on ahead and they can come later in the day to join the fun. Plus it's always nice to have a meal out with the family afterwards.
Davem

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you should try doing multi day events without a crew......

Just ask TC Razz
Pedro Peru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd really like to take my girlfriend to races but that really annoys my wife.
Tin Pot

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
Tin Pot wrote:

You have a very negative outlook - my kids have had a much better experience than what you describe, so far at least. They were heart broken to miss me at Staffs last year.
Tin Pot

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jgav wrote:
Jorgan wrote:
Tin Pot wrote:

I try to avoid races with very early starts (unavoidable for long distance stuff I know) but I do like having my girls there on the finish line. I want to show them that it is a good thing to be active. Where it is an early start I will go on ahead and they can come later in the day to join the fun. Plus it's always nice to have a meal out with the family afterwards.

Similar for me.

I'm probably taking a break from IM after this season, might do local, shorter events that can still inspire without being such a hassle.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tin Pot wrote:
Jorgan wrote:
Tin Pot wrote:

You have a very negative outlook - my kids have had a much better experience than what you describe, so far at least. They were heart broken to miss me at Staffs last year.

what sports do your kids do?

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
leahnp

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I race on my own or with my mates. I leave the family at home now, my first IM i did the child across the finish line but after that travelling abroad is way easier when it is just you. It's a long day if there are no facilities to keep them entertained, I know this as I crew for my wife when she races so well aware that the kids can get bored etc.
I can camp or stay in a hotel have a beer the night before or one afterwards without thinking about anything else.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tin Pot wrote:
Jorgan wrote:
Tin Pot wrote:

Perhaps. Or maybe getting kids up at a stupid hour when they're 2 & 6 is self centred. To each their own. But I am yet to find a Triathlon that doesn't involve this, apart from the 226, when they came to the finish and looked more tired than I did after an afternoon in the sun.

From personal experience of being dragged along to fencing competitions & training as a youngster, I can tell you I never had interest in doing it., and it didn't involve boot camp alarm calls either.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: