Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
No support crew
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tin Pot

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
Tin Pot wrote:
Jorgan wrote:
Tin Pot wrote:

Two kids and that's my main motivation - to show them they can be athletic.

All they'll remember is being dragged around at stupid times of the day, because Daddy wants to race. Only when they're older will they appreciate and perhaps be inspired by what you did. That's why it's better for wife/kids to come along later in the day for an Ironman if that's what you're doing - but that can still be a struggle for your O/H if the kids are young.

You have a very negative outlook - my kids have had a much better experience than what you describe, so far at least. They were heart broken to miss me at Staffs last year.

Perhaps. Or maybe getting kids up at a stupid hour when they're 2 & 6 is self centred. To each their own. But I am yet to find a Triathlon that doesn't involve this, apart from the 226, when they came to the finish and looked more tired than I did after an afternoon in the sun.

From personal experience of being dragged along to fencing competitions & training as a youngster, I can tell you I never had interest in doing it., and it didn't involve boot camp alarm calls either.

I dont know why you assume I get my kids up at a stupid hour. But "to each their own."
Sprint '16 1h17, '14 1h40, '13 2h01
Half Mara '16 2h04, '14 2h07
10 Mile TT '16 00:26:30
Trail 10K '16 54:01 '13 54:46
Tin Pot

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

leahnp wrote:
I race on my own or with my mates. I leave the family at home now, my first IM i did the child across the finish line but after that travelling abroad is way easier when it is just you. It's a long day if there are no facilities to keep them entertained, I know this as I crew for my wife when she races so well aware that the kids can get bored etc.
I can camp or stay in a hotel have a beer the night before or one afterwards without thinking about anything else.

I might do this, save on the costs and camp too. Probably get the train up as well, quicker than the drive.

Is gathering with other solo triathletes for a post race party a done thing? I couldn't sleep until 1am after IMUK.
Sprint '16 1h17, '14 1h40, '13 2h01
Half Mara '16 2h04, '14 2h07
10 Mile TT '16 00:26:30
Trail 10K '16 54:01 '13 54:46
t1mmy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most races I do are solo as we have an 18 month old and keeping him entertained for any great length of time is more of a logistical challenge than it's worth.

I'm doing the Swashbuckler middle distance tri in May and my wife and son won't be going. However they will be there at Ironman Wales. We've booked a house in the centre of town and they can come out and see me as I loop round, but it allows easy feeding and napping etc for the little man. Plus if the weather is grim they've got somewhere to shelter!
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tin Pot wrote:

I dont know why you assume I get my kids up at a stupid hour. But "to each their own."

I don't suggest that's what you do, but plenty of people do, as evidenced at most of the events I've done. That's where my 'negative' view comes from; I don't think it's a positive thing to do with very young kids (the early bit), because it's the parent having them there for their benefit, not the kids. Generally speaking, only when kids are older might they be inspired by a parents' achievement, whether that's being there, or hearing about it. That's what I alluded to earlier. It's bit of an aside to what you're asking, but I just felt like making the general observation.

The reply to your OP would be - you're a big boy now, you'll be fine Wink There was a time here many years ago (like nearly 10 now) that Tri Talk was very active, and we'd arrange gatherings before/after big events; they even had socials in the London area. Alas those days are long gone.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

t1mmy wrote:
Most races I do are solo as we have an 18 month old and keeping him entertained for any great length of time is more of a logistical challenge than it's worth.

I'm doing the Swashbuckler middle distance tri in May and my wife and son won't be going. However they will be there at Ironman Wales. We've booked a house in the centre of town and they can come out and see me as I loop round, but it allows easy feeding and napping etc for the little man. Plus if the weather is grim they've got somewhere to shelter!

that's a good solution...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
explorerJC

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
Tin Pot wrote:

I don't suggest that's what you do, but plenty of people do, as evidenced at most of the events I've done. That's where my 'negative' view comes from; I don't think it's a positive thing to do with very young kids (the early bit), because it's the parent having them there for their benefit, not the kids. Generally speaking, only when kids are older might they be inspired by a parents' achievement, whether that's being there, or hearing about it. That's what I alluded to earlier. It's bit of an aside to what you're asking, but I just felt like making the general observation.

The reply to your OP would be - you're a big boy now, you'll be fine Wink There was a time here many years ago (like nearly 10 now) that Tri Talk was very active, and we'd arrange gatherings before/after big events; they even had socials in the London area. Alas those days are long gone.

getting the most out of supporting an athlete at long distance events can be extremely challenging, requiring detailed planning and/or a high degree of flexibility. i am not sure I'd want to do this with children it tow...

Participating is a very selfish thing to do and needs a high level of tolerance from families...

Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:

Participating is a very selfish thing to do and needs a high level of tolerance from families...

I'm not sure I'd class it as very selfish, self centered yes. As for training, that is probably where the greatest self-centered/absorbed element comes in, perhaps becoming very selfish in extremis. It's the same in a lot of sports and the workplace of course.

I sometimes read about habitual Kona qualifiers or that Iron Cowboy chap, who try and spin how their obsession is for their family... and just think wow, you selfish pr1ck. But then I also work in an environment where I am unusual, in that I am a father who actually doesn't leave it to his wife to deal with the everyday practicalities of having kids (eJC will get that reference).
explorerJC

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
explorerJC wrote:

I'm not sure I'd class it as very selfish, self centered yes. As for training, that is probably where the greatest self-centered/absorbed element comes in, perhaps becoming very selfish in extremis. It's the same in a lot of sports and the workplace of course.

I sometimes read about habitual Kona qualifiers or that Iron Cowboy chap, who try and spin how their obsession is for their family... and just think wow, you selfish pr1ck. But then I also work in an environment where I am unusual, in that I am a father who actually doesn't leave it to his wife to deal with the everyday practicalities of having kids (eJC will get that reference).

I have been very selfish pretty much all my life in one sense and very generous with my time in another...

the person who has always carried the biggest penalty for that is Mrs eJC...

jibberjim

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
I'm not sure I'd class it as very selfish, self centered yes. As for training, that is probably where the greatest self-centered/absorbed element comes in, perhaps becoming very selfish in extremis.

So my dear wife, is just as an elite athlete as before children. I could comfortably train more than enough to do better than average at Duathlon (we won't talk about swimming) without impacting family life or getting Otter (she's 5) up at silly hours.

Saturday for example, Ride to Ninja School towing her on the follow-me 45 minutes both ways at ~220 NP, if I was training, 50 minute run along the thames could've been done, and I've had 2 1/2 hours of very solid training and child care to provide time for Maryka to do whatever she wanted.

The same when Otter was younger, running buggy, cycle trailer - these aren't penalties to the child - they're the way she gets to the playground or the event, or the whatever she wants to go to. Now she's just big enough to ride a geared bike, we can probably go running together - we've done it once before in a mob match race - she averaged ~4:35/km for the 7km so that's quite a decent run, but was gear limited for a lot of it.

Of course, that sort of thing costs, the follow-me, the bike trailer, the running buggy, the activities, but it's not a selfish thing beyond any amount of selfishness that everyone in the family should be allowed (ie I want have some time where I choose what to do, so Otter chooses ninja school, I choose how we get there, which to be fair is the only way to get there due to the #@?# that is traffic!)

Are the events inspiring - probably not - but the volunteering, the supporting each other, the chance to compete together etc. are all enjoyable and good things I at least want my kid to learn. Otter was made up to be able to race in the Devon & Somerset Hill Climb Festival the last two years, a day when the whole family races up hill, it would be good if there were more events.

Of course kids triathlons are f'ing ludicrous in price, so no chance of that.
PCP

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 3.5 year old twins and the only race they've ever been to see me at is Salford Oly as it is 20 minutes from my house and I was in a 10am wave.

This year they will all come to see the run at IMUK, again as it is pretty local.

We will all do a weekend away for Buttermere Swimrun but I can't see any of the women and kids doing anything apart from being at the race finish.

I have no problem travelling to a race on my own, racing and going home although after a long distance it is nice if you know people. I felt a bit lost after IMWales this year until I remembered I wasn't supposed to be waiting for anyone and made my way back to camp Laughing

The 2 Middle distance races I'm doing this year will have 3-5 people I know there also racing.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jibberjim wrote:
Jorgan wrote:
I'm not sure I'd class it as very selfish, self centered yes. As for training, that is probably where the greatest self-centered/absorbed element comes in, perhaps becoming very selfish in extremis.

So my dear wife, is just as an elite athlete as before children. I could comfortably train more than enough to do better than average at Duathlon (we won't talk about swimming) without impacting family life or getting Otter (she's 5) up at silly hours.

Saturday for example, Ride to Ninja School towing her on the follow-me 45 minutes both ways at ~220 NP, if I was training, 50 minute run along the thames could've been done, and I've had 2 1/2 hours of very solid training and child care to provide time for Maryka to do whatever she wanted.

The same when Otter was younger, running buggy, cycle trailer - these aren't penalties to the child - they're the way she gets to the playground or the event, or the whatever she wants to go to. Now she's just big enough to ride a geared bike, we can probably go running together - we've done it once before in a mob match race - she averaged ~4:35/km for the 7km so that's quite a decent run, but was gear limited for a lot of it.

Of course, that sort of thing costs, the follow-me, the bike trailer, the running buggy, the activities, but it's not a selfish thing beyond any amount of selfishness that everyone in the family should be allowed (ie I want have some time where I choose what to do, so Otter chooses ninja school, I choose how we get there, which to be fair is the only way to get there due to the #@?# that is traffic!)

Are the events inspiring - probably not - but the volunteering, the supporting each other, the chance to compete together etc. are all enjoyable and good things I at least want my kid to learn. Otter was made up to be able to race in the Devon & Somerset Hill Climb Festival the last two years, a day when the whole family races up hill, it would be good if there were more events.

Of course kids triathlons are f'ing ludicrous in price, so no chance of that.

hence my unanswered question to TP about what sport his kids were doing...it is a slight aside from the OP, but isn't being a parent about supporting your kids doing sport and not the other way around.

as to the cost of kids triathlons...much of the costs are the same and the numbers restrictive, and therefore they are relatively expensive sadly...however, i have found some that are good value, just as you have to shop around for adult ones...

TransitionTed

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curious
It's never crossed my mind to ask any of my nearest and dearest to accompany me to a race.
I could barely think of anything more synapse twistingly boring than watching a load of slightly tubby blokes forced into poorly fitting tri suits, riding expensive bikes badly.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TransitionTed wrote:
Curious
It's never crossed my mind to ask any of my nearest and dearest to accompany me to a race.
I could barely think of anything more synapse twistingly boring than watching a load of slightly tubby blokes forced into poorly fitting tri suits, riding expensive bikes badly.

there are certain images you really shouldn't make anyone have to cunjure up

Chrace

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread has taken a turn for something I consider a lot more interesting and less discussed on this forum, and for me probably far harder than actually doing the training.

And I generally think races are easy compared to training. You rock up and get spoon fed what to do without negotiation or consideration. So simple. As said many times before, the hard part is getting to the start line.

Last year we did a late booking at the YHA Ambleside, just a family trip tto the Lakes, and got room 5 (I think) which is first room on the first floor with a lake view. I got completely carried away with the idea that the family could literally roll out of bed and see me swim and transition from the room. I booked it on the spot for the X in June.

But even that is not going to work, now is it. How much are they going to see me during that day? And 4am start with a tannoy right outside the window until 1 am at night? Sounds like an awful lot of fun for a 1 and 6 year old... :/

Going forwards I'd only bring them to local sprints where I can be back in sub-1:30. I don't see it as fair on neither kids nor my wife. But of course, that is my view on my family situation.

But before I cancel the room and book just for me, would anyone want to share at the X? I got Friday/Saturday night for 60 per person. Need 3 - and I'll cover the rest (twice that), both as a slap on my own wrist and for the privilege of sharing with other participants.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Chrace]

Going forwards I'd only bring them to local sprints where I can be back in sub-1:30. I don't see it as fair on neither kids nor my wife. But of course, that is my view on my family situation.[/quote]

Does your wife not get a choice at least?

Mrs eJC has for years been in charge of the logistics and nutrition and thus has played a central role in all my endeavours including crewing solo for me at NZC2C which is no mean feat. It provides her with a focus for both my training and racing...

The only times I know of that she has been fed up were:

Racing a town centre multi lap in Belgium in pouring rain when her cheers faded as she deserted the course for a stool at a local bar...

Not wanting to stay on afterwards at the Belgian Nat Champs and hearing faintly on the tannoy as we loaded the car that I'd podiumed...

Politely warning me as I hung over a barrier half way through an IM marathon that if I didn't get on with it then I wouldn't be doing another...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: